2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC053 January 2022 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
alavault

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC053 January 2022 - Submissions until 24-01-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by alavault »

@Arelem
If you want to know more you can read the standards for loudness and equal loudness perception :
ITU 1770.4 on loudness algorithms : https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/re ... !PDF-E.pdf
ISO226.2003 on equal loudness curves : http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Acoustics226-2003.pdf
This might interest other participants as well.
A Future in Noise

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC053 January 2022 - Submissions until 24-01-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by A Future in Noise »

Updated January 18th. Intrument reminding of e-guitar: a wt created of submitted fryingpan (one cycle) imported to Surge. Instrument reminding of cello: a wt created of the C-flute. Fm by sinus (wt created of submitted wave) to both e-guitar and cello.The synth pad's wave shaping material is the saw tooth wave I've described earlier. E-bass: wt of one cycle of submitted guitar_E. Coffee maker from VCA-089 used for percussion. There is also some other percussion, but especially cymbals were hard.

In this competition, when the sounds must be created from a limited number of sounds/noises – is it still important that instruments sound real? Is it maybe better to use sounds/instruments that is not at all trying to imitate real instruments? This entry is (probably) not finished.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jBP7p_ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by A Future in Noise on Tue Jan 18, 2022 20:36 CET, edited 4 times in total.
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

Here is my final submission:

FLAC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LyFlAs ... sp=sharing
MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vvM2zu ... sp=sharing

I started to experiment on it in the middle of December and got some ideas already. I spend winter holidays creating main sections of this track. In the past few events like this I was making several different ideas that were never finished and resulted as non-participation. This time I'm glad I done the things properly.

I can see there is very few entries this month. I hope next year we will have another "Community Scrambel" in some form.

Technical details:
► Show Spoiler
Due to difference in streaming quality YouTube version could sound a bit better...

phpBB [media]
Last edited by VCA-089 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 15:42 CET, edited 3 times in total.
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

Hello Everyone,

I've edited my original post to include the 2nd revision of my song. I don't normally worry too much about LUFS so it's a new constraint that I am having to learn to work around. Anyway, I think I was able to get a better balance overall. And thanks to those who offered some help and/or feedback on the first revision.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 3 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song.

And to those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - maybe set yourself a private, was shorter deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes. By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:
A Future in Noise

I updated my track.
A Future in Noise

@VCA-089: HHs, or their equivalents, maybe a little bit too high above everything else. Either the frequency is too high (but HHs are usually high), or it's the volume. There's sort of a gap between HHs and everything else. The bass a little to weak, or “un-deep.” There is nothing wrong with dynamics, but this song begins so silent that you have to raise the volume in the beginning, in order to hear anything at all, and than lower the volume at 1:07 so that your neighbours don't start to complain. I could hear toms and congas. I'm really looking forward to hearing how you managed to create those drums. But I liked the sound and mood very much. Kind of relaxing, although you may perceive it a little gloomy, but that I don't mind at all.
fajebru

Post by fajebru »

Hi people, hi Mister Fox,

I occasionally take a look at whats happening on mix challenge, since I've been a song provider in the actual mix challenge for a few times and really enjoyed that. So when I now stumbled across this months songwriting competition I kinda wanted to join, so that's what I did :) However, I should have actually worked on other projects, so I decided to squeeze this into a 3 hour limit, so it's a little rough, but that has it's own advantages.

MP3:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlgqioib0w4cd ... e.mp3?dl=1
WAV:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kfwonpovowmy6 ... e.wav?dl=1

I kept a lot of the samples I used in a state close to their origin. Partly because of my time limit, but even more because this community scramble pack is NUTS!! So many unique and crazy sounds, I love it. So I kinda wanted to implement some of the raw nature of the sounds.

I briefly went through all samples and colored them according to my general color scheme (expl.: drums=green, bass=brown etc.). I just went by my gut feeling as to what I could use things for and so that I get a better idea of what is available. I then decided to give the track a strong groovy beat as a backbone so I can go crazy on everything else. I chopped up single one shots out of everything I marked green(=drums), made a kick first by layering some of the fitting samples together and cleaned them up a bit, and then I threw every other one shot percussion I found into a sampler. I started with the kick pattern and added th rest on top. In order to get a unique sound, but overall coherent, i threw a really really short room reverb on all of the percussion hits. I worked at night and couldn't check on speakers so I may regret that later, but who cares.

Now to the main things you can hear besides that:

Bass(ish)
That one was kinda already there. I cleaned it up a bit and actually left the timing exactly as it is. I added some saturation on top.

Whooshy Lead
There's one sample with a starting motorcycle in which that sound was in. I cleaned away as much of the motorcycle as I could with RX and then went for the loudest of the sounds I wanted, so they were isolated enough. Then I randomly threw them over what I had and just tweaked it a bit.

Laughing(ish) sound
That was a snuffling dog with just a bunch of aggressive processing. That I played back and forth (reverse). Formant shifting, 2 octaves up, formant filtering and a bit of automation with volume, eq and pitch.

Pad
Went a little crazy here, because I didn't want to pick one of the obvious samples as a harmonic element. So that's the coffee maker. I EQ'd, used reverb, pitch shifting, tuning, threw it into a sampler, added vibrato and tremolo, more reverb, more pitch shifting, more reverb and saturation.

I think that's it. Now I'm very very curious about the other productions!
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

I've added technical details to my submission. It represents the current state of the production. I plan to finish my submission within next 2-3 days...
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

I have updated my post with final submission. It also has a full info on used instruments/effects and I also described the way I made all the sounds.