2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC054 February 2022 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
VCA-089

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC054 February 2022 - Voting until 01-MAR-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by VCA-089 »

Here is my feedback:

1. Arelem - Hugeland

It has an epic cinematic trailer feel, perfect for fantasy movie. It builds up gradually towards the end, adding more layers and melodic parts. I wish there could be more diverse arrangement (breakdowns, alternative sections). The mix is good, but it gets a little harsh in upper mids when more layers are engaged. The drums are quite hard hitting, may be too much. There is an audible distortion/clipping on some of them.

It does bring feeling of a journey. Works well when you try to imagine a scenes of fantasy adventure movie like "Lord of the Rings". It could also work for a videogames aswell.

2. GMoneh - The Cabana Song

The overall feel of this track is quite organic. There is some rhythmic inconsistency between parts, but it works for that campfire jam feel. It seems that guitars are actually played and recorded live, which is a good thing. Great percussion. The voices and horns works for creating interest in the arrangement, but it still feels like a 1:30 long track. The guitar parts are quite similar to each othere with some minor variations. Production quality is very good, no complaints.

This track certainly could be a part of some relaxing music playlist on YouTube. It really does bring the feeling of campfire party, somenthing that we could only dream about in these disturbing times. It has a very warm atmosphere and "human" touch. Somehow it forces you to believe that images in your head are quite real. After first playthrough I thought I heard people talking and walking in the background, but I know it isn't there. It truly works as a musical trip.

3. EsteveCorbera - Passejada De Capvespre Per Palou

This track has a very soothing atmosphere. Good work with string section and choir layers, but other parts feels like AI generated. There is no defined melody or an arpeggio pattern. It's sort of improvisation, but very artifical. The chimes adds to an atmosphere, but they could be more in the background, blended into reverb. The arrangement needs a bit of dynamics, different sections, breakdowns. The lo-fi element is't expressed that much, as the instruments sounds pretty clean with just a static noise added in the background. There still could be a soft, warm bass part.

This entry does bring dreams of a warm, calm summer. The main concept or a composition is there. There is need to bring more expression and defined melodic patterns to instrumental parts.

4. mobiledrummer - Rediscovery

The expression in this piano piece is quite high. Different velocity, tempo variations, voicings. The overall feel is kinda chaotic. There is no defined harmonic structure or a memorable melodic theme. It shifts unexpectedly between different scenes and emotions. Sometimes the key modulations works really good, sometimes they are odd and distracting. It's actually quite easy to get lost in this piece.

It's quite hard to draw images when the composition flows so unexpectedly. I like experiments in music, but there could be more refined ideas.

5. (Bonus) bedlamward - Lost At Sea

Production wise it's quite far from being finished in this state. The vocals sounds like they recorded on webcam mic. The harmonies sounds very artifical. The arrangement has no clear definition where is the chorus section. The lyrics are too upfront. I'm not a songwriter, nor a vocalist, but I think that song needs to have some sense of intrigue that holds the listeners interest. I like when people trying to express their ideas, as I'm not brave enogh to do it myself, but those ideas needs to be refined and polished.
► Show Spoiler
GMoneh

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC054 February 2022 - Voting until 01-MAR-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by GMoneh »

Here's my feedback on this month's submissions:

Arelem - Hügelland
The mix sounds great, the drums are very epic. However, there is not much variation in the melody, it seems to be the same6 note riff the entire length of the track. That reduces interest on the piece as a standalone. As for adherence to the contest theme, I didn't get "voyage" vibes from this piece.

EsteveCorbera -Passejada De Capvespre Per Palou
This is another piece where I didn't get many "voyage" vibes. In terms of structure, it seemed to me like it was just one big part with the keys lead doodling around. On the sound and mixing, the track shines, though, all the instruments are very clear, the chimes accents are a nice touch.

VCA-089 - Mindrift
The exotic-sounding percussion did bring notions of "voyage" to my mind, of visiting strange new places. Mixing is very clear, every sound comes across really well. At almost 6 minutes, the track seems to be a bit long, but there are enough different elements to keep interesting.

Mobiledrummer - Rediscovery
The piano sounds very good, but the track lacks a little bit of structure. As an improvisation, it works, but there are some very dissonant parts that cause a bit of discomfort. Of course, that is a valid artistic avenue too, therefore it is not a criticism.

Bedlamward - Lost As Sea
The mix sounds a bit weird, the vocals sound very thin or distorted or something… can't put my finger on what to call it. Volume variations throughout the track are also confusing.

Voting:
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC054 February 2022 - Voting until 01-MAR-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your feedback and cast your vote.

Please don't let yourself be put at a disadvantage by not participating. The Songwriting Competition lives from the given feedback towards each other. Outside feedback is welcome, of course.
mobiledrummer

Post by mobiledrummer »

Hello all,

Everybody did great! Here is my feedback:

Arelem - Hügelland
Cinematic score feel, overall very good. Layering mostly works, altough maybe more variation in melody and arrangement would make the track even better. Personally, I would perhaps dial back a bit on the percussion and integrate the strings a little bit more.

GMoneh - The Cabaña Song
I like this, very immediate and organic feel. It transports you to the campfire. Great percussion. Nice guitar melody. Perhaps some more variatation or another part to sustain interest the whole time. Also, the melody and the feel of the song might benefit from a little softer playing, perhaps.

EsteveCorbera - Passejada De Capvespre Per Palou
Great atmosphere overall. As an atmospheric soundscape track it works, but it might benefit with a bit more direction where it is heading. Maybe some guiding melody? Chimes are good, but a bit loud.

VCA-089 - Mindrift
Very interesting and good track. The mix is excellent. The only thing I can think of is that although the song evolves, there seem to be some destination or part that could be added to make the journey even more fulfilling.

bedlamward - Lost As Sea
As a starting point for a song, this is great. It still needs work on the arrangement, with more attention paid to different parts and the vocal harmonies.
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC054 February 2022 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 02nd MArch 2022, 03:35 (UTC+1/CET) - the Voting Period has officially ended.

All main participants have submitted their final feedback, including bonus commentary, we therefore have 0 disqualifications.

I will post the results within 2-3 days and take "late feedback" into consideration.
(this is not an automated process)

Please have an eye on this thread :educate:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC054 February 2022 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 54

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. @VCA-089 (53 pts)
  2. @GMoneh (51 pts)
  3. @Arelem (49 pts)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes, my vote would count as bonus)
We have 0 disqualifications (due to lack of feedback)
We have 0 withdrawn entries
We have 0 votes after the deadline - therefore -5 points penalty
We have 0 users that tied
  • <no tied entries>
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does apply - 1-position Winners Podium (<= 8 participants prior to the deadline)

STATISTICS SHEET:
Overview of Submissions (PDF - updated: 07-MAR-2022, full sheet)

! Bonus Info
Short info:
I am using Wavelab 10 for batch analysis, then I manually port the CSV export to a Microsoft Excel/Open Office Calc sheet with custom layout (this is not an automated process).

As pointed out in this post from SWC047 / July, Wavelab has different tolerances for dBTP max analysis compared to tools like iZotope RX, Youlean Loudness Meter, NUGEN Audio VisLM, etc. To find a common ground, I've implemented "allowed tolerances" (just like with the Mix Challenge). These are based upon allowed offsets mentioned in the white papers for EBU R128 and ITU-R BS.1770-4. Since no measurement tool is the same, to be on the save side, please export at -14,1 LUFS ILk max, and -1,1 dBTP max.

As usual, I did list/analyze alternative releases (MP3s and FLAC). If you've submitted your entry in multiple file formats, the statistic sheet will focus on the uncompressed material first (WAV), then FLAC, then MP3. The higher the quality, the less possible loss on bonus points for "Loudness Specs" due to offsets introduced by a used CODEC. In this case, FLAC and MP3 are merely for information purposes.

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Selecting licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner. Once one company has been selected, it's out of the pool for the next person on the podium.

I re-open the field for talking some more about each others' productions. If things drift a bit too off-topic, please use the General Gossip thread.

See you in in the next challenge!

Songwriting Competition 055 (March 2022) is still in full swing.
Please help spread the word! :help:
VCA-089

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC054 February 2022 - Winners announced

Post by VCA-089 »

The lightning never strikes twice in the same place, right?

Well, sometimes an unexpectedly nice things happening in this world full of chaos and disturbance.

Contgrats to all who participated! I'll pass my prize selection this time...
EsteveCorbera

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC054 February 2022 - Winners announced

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Congratulations to the winners!!

See you later!!