2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC055 March 2022 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC055 March 2022 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

Hi everyone,

once more, apologies for the super late "closing" of SWC055. Due to a myriad of reasons, things got delayed. However, i did invest some time and also wrote up some feedback. As usual, I've listened to your entries several times, on small speakers (2 inch drivers), very boomy headphones ("seasoned" Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro), with paying close attention, with working in the background, etc.

Overall - you all did great work, in some cases it was super close (I really had a hard time regarding the main "tie" that couldn't be broken up - in the end I went by the "generally more cohesive end-product"). Pity that @J.Ruegg didn't join in on the conversation again.

Anyway... final feedback, and my vote. The follow-up post will be the results.

Thank you for your patience. :notes:

In no particular order:

Olli H

Very interesting "Classic" Pop Rock feel, very interesting vocals. Although I might definitely change the balances between instruments ever so often (like put a bit more emphasis on the strings, raise the vocals just a tad). It feels well "rounded out" overall, and translates well to most listening environments (headphones feel a bit intensive on the bass).

mobiledrummer

Definitely feels like a 1980s production (if we go by the plain sound), but it is also super "bright" (too much high frequency content) and certain instruments feel like they just drift apart (volume and frequency balance wise - especially on small speakers - things could be more connected with the right global FX). This production is also among the busiest in terms of chord progressions - at least the original was. The "current" version is definitely more tame. I still kind of miss a certain cohesion, and the ending throws you a bit for a loop. Overall, it's great.

A Future In Noise

Every time I listen to your voice, I am confused if I am actually listening to Michael Stipe (R.E.M.) or not (which is a compliment). Overall, the mix feels 1970s (Creedence Clearwater Revival), is very ambitious with the chord progressions constantly modulating/changing. It is also very bright (small speakers) compared to headphones. In this case, the kick and bass vanishes a bit in the mix. I wish the lead/melody guitar would be real, like the acoustic guitar. Great attempt this month!

becsei gyorgy

Straight forward 4-chord production, with used vocals from a sample-set. Sadly with a too strong focus on the mid-range (vocals), and the percussion/kick) feel "thin" and not as balanced like you'd usually go for. I like the overall concept, but it feels a bit rushed. Which is apparent in the mix (especially on small speakers), and certain sung phrases towards the end of the song, which run "out of place" to the given beat. It is a different story on headphones (which feels a bit more cohesive, but still fairly mid-range heavy). Sure is "different" this month.

Esteve Corbera

Very modern "Retro" Pop that feels like "I've heard this in the 1980s", only that it has a more voluminous (sound) revival these days. I think this is one of your best SWC productions so far. I'd still go back and change the balance between the synths a bit and maybe pull down the hat and clap just a tad (this feels like a headphone mix, because on small speakers, things really "pop out".

But other than that, it's simple, it's catchy. Although a proper ending would have been nice. Please keep it up.

J Ruegg & Lila

Pity that we didn't hear back from you this month. A very interesting modern pop production. Although the "weak part" here is the vocal mix. The first section feels too dry and "flanging", the second part is too overpowering. In places, the timing is also a bit off (timing). However, I do understand the "last minute" recording situation, and this affected the mix. But the vocals really do add so much.

Else, it's a really interesting and catchy production, that just needs a bit more cleanup and mixing work. I'd love to hear a finished version, and I also hope we'll hear from you again in the coming months. Maybe even more collaborations like this. :)

Arelem

Something I did not expect: "Industrial Rock"... not quite "Contemporary Pop/Rock" if you ask me, but the main idea was to song-write in a certain key. While the chord progression works, the weakest part is the mix I'm afraid. I would have processed Shreddage 3 a bit different. And for your vocals (to go more towards Nine Inch Nails), maybe band-passed and then distorted them (like a telephone) to give a more distressed effect. But as usual, music is subjective. It just didn't speak to me as much this month.

I really like that you are one of the participants, that use the "feedback mechanic" the most. Please keep it up.

► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC055 March 2022 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 55

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. @Olli H (71 pts)
  2. @mobiledrummer (70 pts)
  3. @A Future in Noise (61 pts)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes, my vote would count as bonus)
We have 1 disqualification (due to lack of feedback)
We have 0 withdrawn entries
We have 0 votes after the deadline - therefore -5 points penalty
We have 0 users that tied
  • Arelem has 1x10pts, 0x9pts, 1x8pts 1x7pts -- EsteveCorbera has 0x10pts, 0x9pts, 0x8pts 3x7pts -- not counting balance votes, Arelem therefore scores higher
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does apply - 1-position Winners Podium (<= 8 participants prior to the deadline)

STATISTICS SHEET:
Overview of Submissions (PDF - updated: 14-APR-2022, full sheet)

! Bonus Info
Short info:
I am using Wavelab 10 for batch analysis, then I manually port the CSV export to a Microsoft Excel/Open Office Calc sheet with custom layout (this is not an automated process).

As pointed out in this post from SWC047 / July, Wavelab has different tolerances for dBTP max analysis compared to tools like iZotope RX, Youlean Loudness Meter, NUGEN Audio VisLM, etc. To find a common ground, I've implemented "allowed tolerances" (just like with the Mix Challenge). These are based upon allowed offsets mentioned in the white papers for EBU R128 and ITU-R BS.1770-4. Since no measurement tool is the same, to be on the save side, please export at -14,1 LUFS ILk max, and -1,1 dBTP max.

As usual, I did list/analyze alternative releases (MP3s and FLAC). If you've submitted your entry in multiple file formats, the statistic sheet will focus on the uncompressed material first (WAV), then FLAC, then MP3. The higher the quality, the less possible loss on bonus points for "Loudness Specs" due to offsets introduced by a used CODEC. In this case, FLAC and MP3 are merely for information purposes.

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Selecting licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic --- although due to the long waiting time this month, I am making an exception and allow passing up to third place max!). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner. Once one company has been selected, it's out of the pool for the next person on the podium.

Information regarding IK Multimedia MODO Bass

I am aware that MODO Bass v2.0 has been announced. You can not purchase MODO Bass v1.5 anymore, but "preorder" v2.0, and to bridge the time until release (coming days/weeks), get v1.5 as well. I've reached out to IK Multimedia regarding a Grace Period Upgrade, but did not get a conclusive response. I am sorry about that. Should you, the winner, however decide to pick up MODO Bass, you will still get access to an amazing suite. And your license will work with the upcoming MODO Bass 2 CS, resulting in a great starter set for the new features.

I re-open the field for talking some more about each others' productions. If things drift a bit too off-topic, please use the General Gossip thread.

See you in in the next challenge!

Songwriting Competition 056 (April 2022) is still in full swing.
Please help spread the word! :help:
Olli H

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC055 March 2022 - Winners announced

Post by Olli H »

Wow, it was nice to participate after couple of years break. Thanks for all the comments and feedback. All the feedback — positive and negative — is always valuable.

I just decided that I would attend also to the current competition. I also try to comment those early submissions that are not the final versions. It's much more fun to comment when there's a chance to make correction and take heed of the suggestions.

I'll take the Saurus3 from Tone2.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for the kind words... since we have a "Sole Winner" situation, and you didn't pass up on your license, SWC055 is therefore concluded.

If you folks want to continue/finish your productions after the received feedback, I highly encourage you to do so. Post again, ask for more feedback, keep up the conversation. This is what this game is about. :phones:
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Congratulations to the winners
And Thank you all for your comments.
It is thanks to you that I am learning a little more each month.
mobiledrummer

Post by mobiledrummer »

Congratulations Olli H! Thanks to all for your comments, and thank you Mister Fox for all your work and your feedback!
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Congrats to the winners, and to everyone for the nice songs.
:clap: :clap: