2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
A Future in Noise

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - Voting until 01-MAY-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by A Future in Noise »

I updated my post a moment ago. Only the written information, not the music/track. I hesitated a little, at first, if I should really do it. But now it's done.
Olli H

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - Voting until 01-MAY-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Olli H »

==========

Arelem: Ether

This one is great, as I already commented earlier during pre-deadline period.
With new listening:
I like that opening where the kick comes in gradually.
Sonically the mood is very mystical. To my ears it matches this month's theme perfectly.
Furthermore, I think the circling sounds nicely captures the picture theme of this month.
It develops nicely but not too much. It nicely remains as one mood song.
So definitely good job.

==========

VCA-089: Gateway

Impressive sound design skills you have. Sonically it suits perfectly to this months picture theme. Skillful use of feedbacks, automations and whatever to create that slowly evolving sound scape.

On the other hand, it's a bit difficult for me to analyze this musically. I guess this belongs more to sound design category than a song writing competitions, for none of the great sonic ideas you have here can be expressed in a traditional note writing. I mean like melody lines, harmonies, rhythms, etc.

==========

A Future In Noise: The Destruction And Rebirth Of The Universe

You have a skill to challenge a listener. It seems to me that you're never happy to do just mere musical finger exercises, but instead — when making music — you always want to dive into deeper levels of your mind. Maybe for that reason, after having listened all the submissions several times, this is the one I remember best.

First I thought that the intro and the rest of the song didn't match at all. Then I started to think as a time travel from future to past. And then it made perfectly sense. Or maybe the idea is to ironically watch from an another mental realm a person who is a prisoner of another realm, a long gone period of time. Or even better, could it be an introvert review of one's own internal state of mind: prisoner of the past, who wishes to escape to nowness, but is incapable to do it properly and doesn't actually want to do it. Autch and sorry, now I'm describing my own whirling state of mind.

Back to music. When the whole band starts to roll, you enter your speciality: natural old-time guitar led groove which only and main purpose is to support vocals. Nice intertextual references to Scott McKenzie. (Not melodically but) soundwise especially guitars and bass are exactly like from Scott McKenzie's "San Francisco". Just a right amount of intertextual borrowing combined with one's own creation.

Those parts that depend more on keyboards don't blend so well with the overall sound. Somehow they feel sonically a bit clumsy. Maybe keyboards could have a bit more natural space. For example to emulate a recoding situation where band plays together and everyone bleeds to other microphones, perhaps you could try to send the keyboard first to 100% wet small mono space and then that space into a short tape delay. It might give keyboards a separate space. It would be still sonically near and dry, but the detached delay with room sound might glue it better to overall band sound.

The biggest and maybe unrelevant issue: does this submission match the topic of this months competition? Musically maybe not, but lyrics bring us to strange spheres that could or should be interpreted to match the theme.

==========

alavault: Atar-8K50

I already made some comments earlier. But anyhow, with new listening it's refreshing to hear these distorted guitar sounds. Nice synth riffs that plays the chord progression.

The drumless part comes in quite early. (1:04-2:06) The theme was just introduced but then you abruptly bring in softer part when I was expecting more speed to rollercoaster. I think resting point could work better after longer full band period.

Around 3:00 starts a fast "typewriter" kick. For some reason it feels sonically a bit thin, as there's no rumbling and rolling bass lines that would fill the low end. Furthermore the synth riff during that area feels more like an accompment and support for a melody line that's not there. Overall, stylistically this song brings into my mind Europe's "Final Countdown". Take a listen to the ending that starts around 4:00. There's layered two separate musical elements: the main background riff with the main melodical hook of the song. That kind of final part could suit also your submission: a strong guitar played melody line backed with synth riff.

But does it match this month's theme? Maybe at certain level, but not so strongly as some other submissions. If the theme were "80's rock pop", this one would be in top positions in my list.

==========

becsei_gyorgy: Chronicles

If you did this just in one day, I have to say it's impressive.

Sounds are convincing and suitable to Movie Trailer. To my ears (the finalized version of) this would be a good candidate for the next Indiana Jones movie trailer where he's after some mystical portal and his adventures goes from Siberia to Tibet, from biblical middle East all the way to Inca's temple.

The opening is absolutely great. The horses are galloping in Siberian steppes and swords glare in sun shine.
However, due to your limited time issue, in the current state of your composition the melody lines start to repeat too much. Maybe a bit more variation along with new introduced instruments. Also, in current state the underlying rhythmic pattern starts to bring fatique. But these are issues you would have solved easily if you have had more time.

After a couple of year's break in these competitions, I'd really love to hear what would be the result, when you have enough time and you could give your best. I'm sure it would be something extraordinary.

==========

EsteveCorbera: Anem a un altre món
If I listen any separate part of this alone, it feels very good as such. So, from that point of view, very well done.

Each and every part match nicely the theme of this month.

My main concern is that somehow this song doesn't evolve properly. Chords and notes come in nicely after one another, but musically they don't create a tension, or a story. As if the bigger musical plan is missing. As if the notes just come randomly from some dwell like detached bubbles. Music just occurs without structure.

Maybe if there were a bit less that constantly hissing background synth, the overall sound would give more room to new states of mind. That way the current melody lines might start to tell stories.

==========

Haplos: Passenger

I commented this already earlier.

Surely nice melody lines, but they're a bit too short and repeat too much. This way they don't create a tension that would be resolved a later. Now they start to feel like loops.
After the acoustic guitar part, the main melody line could come in with some new elements and variations.

Overall, you have very nice musical ideas in this one, and a real potential to make it much bigger, but in the current state of this song they start to feel like loops that don't interact, but instead they just repeat itself.

==========

Patrlord: Star Cloud

Also this one I commented already earlier. With new listen I still like the minimalistic approach that gives a room for the listener to concentrate to small details. Or should I say, this approach guides the listener to pay attention to those small details. If there were more instruments, I guess I would be asking for more variations.

I really like the drum groove in this one. Somehow it just works although it seems to loop the same rhythm over and over. But the color of it is nicely changing in different parts.

► Show Spoiler
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

Here is my feedback:

1. Arelem - Ether

The intro creates an atmosphere and tension very nicely. I like the gradual buildup of the kick drum, bot to me it sounds too aggressive ang "clicky", more suited for EDM. The overall sound pallette feels very modern. The melodic parts are quite minimal, but they work perfectly for creating atmosphere in the context if this track. The mix gets a little muddy in the third section (too much low mids), it may be the case of clashing between bass and low pads frequencies.

I found it sits perfectly in the background. Could be a videogame soundtrack (strategy, maybe). It also creates the eerie sci-fi feeling, kinda "exploring the dangerous anomaly", which perhaps fits the premise of this month.

2. Haplos - Passenger

It immediately sets the mood of a horror movie in the intro. The "main" section that comes afterwards repeats itself too much without a noticeable developement (melodicly, rhythmicly or by adding new layers). The "DI" bass sounds too upfront (with that "clicking" noise) and gives a feeling of being detached from other instruments. The "bridge" section with a clean guitar is very nice. The overall production quality is quite good.

As I said it feels like a horror movie opening. It gives a feeling that the main character is very desperate and unwilling to travel, but he knows it is a very necessary and inevitable action. It seems like he (or she) is a member of an expedition that goes to the "gate". In the "bridge" section we dig a little deeper into his personal experiences.

With a little bit of development, this would be a great entry.

3. patrlord - Star Cloud

There is a very solid breakbeat foundation in this track. The groove, the bass and deep pads works really nice together. There could be more development though. Adding new layers, rhythmic elements and evolving textures would do the job. In the middle section it (finally) brings the melodic parts, containing the mood and atmosphere of the whole track. There could be some gradual development of musical ideas through other sections, as it seems quite dramatic compared to the rest (more peaceful and chilled). The mix and master is quite balanced.

It creates a very deep atmosphere and sci-fi feeling, so it actually fit the premise.

4. alavault - Atar 8K50

A very dynamic and energetic track compared to the others. The combination of chiptune style synths and heavy rock is a very nice idea, but I found that synth parts are too dominant in the mid frequencies and rhythm guitar gets muffled. It may be also because of too much delay/reverb wash. There is too much harsh mid frequencies in the mix in general, especially in the last sections. Pretty good composition and arrangement though.

It feels pretty much like a scroll-shooter videogame soundtrack (Jets & Guns, anyone?). It would fit perfectly for a chiptune-metal song contest. It was actually stated in the description that this was a SWC051 draft. How could it be connected to the current month theme?

5. A Future in Noise - The Destruction and Rebirth of the Universe

The beginning is very promising with that S&H effects. It really creates tension and intrigue. The instrumental arrangement in this entry is very cool and intricate. A very tasteful approch on writing music, reminiscent of some great acts of psychedelic rock era. The vocals are great too, but I found that there is only "chorus" section. It would be great to hear the actual story. The overall production quality is quite good.

This one feels to me as another draft for the SWC051 rock contest. It has that old-school psychedelic rock aestetic, with some cumpiting noises from 60's sci-fi movie in the intro. Connection with a picture above is quite questionable.

6. EsteveCorbera - Anem A Un Altre Mon

The beginning with noise effects is very interesting. The pads and background textures are spot on. The impact sound effects feels too EDM'ish and too upfront. They could be more blended into reverb with a longer decay. The first half of the track feels a bit too long. There isn't much noticeable development. In the middle of a track, when the plucky lead kicks in it statrs to get more interesting. There are many new layers and melodic parts in the second half. The track ends kinda abruptly.

It has a very pieceful and dreamy atmosphere, a little bit naive to be honest. It is better connected with an image attached to the SoundClod track, but it still fits the month's theme.

7. Olli H - Pathetic Justice

Overall a very promising entry. Great work with electric guitars. Playing of individual parts and layering is excellent. The acuostic bass sounds very MIDI'ish in some sections. The drums has a decent groove and timbre. The arrangement is bult around a single musical theme, but it has enough variations to keep an interest of a listener. Too bad it's only "verses", this song would be much more memorable and exciting with a strong "chorus" and may be some quiet breakdown. Good mixing and mastering.

This is another possible great entry for SWC051. I really like the atmoshpere and mood of this track. It's clear that the topic of "Gateway" were taken metaphorically. It's a little bit different approach that may work for some ome.

8. becsei_gyorgy - Chronicles

It's starting with a mid-eastern atmosphere right in the intro. It has some electronic elements with a very strong modern cinematic vibe. There are many layers in this production, but it feels a little cluttered. Perhaps working with panning and better frequency separation could solve the problem. The quality of provided samples is undoubtedly outstanding, but I found that it makes a very lazy approach to sound design. There is't much originality in arranging "dry" material, created by some one else. Musically it sounds very promising at the beginning, but there isn't much development in melodic themes and the track ends kinda abruptly.

It's definitely going towards fantasy flawored interpretation of "gateway" topic. Or it seems to be fit into "Dune-like" sci-fi in it's modern rendition.
► Show Spoiler
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

It was difficult to evaluate because of the variety of styles and sometimes within the similar styles there were only little differences.

Arelem - Ether
Nice, ethereal intro.
Nice rhythm change after the break.
Good sound choices
A bit "predictable" song, it would be better to have a little variety in the chord sequence or another (counter)melody line. Could be a little play e.g. in the stereo of the sweeps (move from right to left, etc.)
Mix: There are some correlation problems in the midrange.
Overall pleasant song.

Haplos - Passenger
I like the drums, the bass, good synth sounds, great 80's sound.
The guitar also gives a good little marching feel, bringing the song forward.
The mix is also nicely balanced.
I feel the vinyl cracks a little forced at the beginning and during the break, especially in light of the fact that the high tones of the other instruments at the same time sounds nice and very clean. I would have used also a EQ-cut here, or rather a well-wound tape machine for the whole mix.

Patrlord - Star Cloud
Promising start and an interesting sequel. The song has good rhythmic, and slightly dark, dystopic soundscape.
The drums have nice rhythm. For me the overly distorted sound of the drums is not my favorite but I know it is common in several styles.
The opening of the filters during the first break is nice. At the end of the this break, the downer could hit bigger with less reverb and sharper high layer. Slightly louder - like in trailers - would have more impact.
I also like the chorus part but it would be great to add a little high (sharper sounds). Here and in the outro there is almost nothing above 5-6K.

alavault - Atar-8K50
If i understand correctly then unfortunately only mp3 is available :(
The strength of the song is undoubtedly the guitar playing.
Overall a good fast-paced song, but it starts off too soon at the beginning, a little slower, more elongated, a gradual start would be better to have an arc for the story.
After 2 minutes, the solo guitar will undoubtedly make the song more enjoyable.
Looking at the mix, it's a bit few on the bottom and a lot on the high-mid - I think because of the guitar's tone and synth sounds - a slightly more balanced image would be better.

A Future In Noise - The Destruction And Rebirth Of The Universe
Interesting start, very good soundtrack feel.
...then comes a 60s, 70s song that is otherwise pleasant and sounds good. Good guitar playing, the sound of the organ is also authentic, nice vocal, but I don't feel that the songs have any connection to the picture.
It would have been better if the initial atmosphere had continued, or at least returned in pieces
(also in instrument selections).

Esteve Corbera - Anem a un altre món
I like the windy start, I like the first hit and the synth sounds at the beginning: a good atmosphere was created, nice work.
I like the overall sound, ethereal, good sound choices. I like the composition less.
I can't find a real guideline, a melody line to follow.
Previous month's chord progression task may forced you to compose better progressions and melodies :)
Still, I like the song because of the good sounds and atmosphere, because of the relaxing style and because it fits well with the image.
Mix: The mid is too dominant. And take care of correlation and put a mono maker on the master that makes a mono at least under 150-170Hz.

OlliH - Pathetic Justice
I really like the melancholy that flows from the music. You can buy me with this :)
In fact, for the first time, I immediately felt like contributing a tango accordion to the song, I loaded an accordion into the Sampletank and jammed the song more than a half an hour. Thank you for that. I don’t think I need to add any more words about the song. :)
Mix: I feel the low-end is a little (a little) too strong again.
If I only looked at the picture, I wouldn’t feel like the singer/songwriter style was related to the picture here either, but in your description of the song can easily see what you did and what the relationship is.
And I really like the song :)

VCA-089 - Gateway
Very good sound design, the greatest atmosphere this month.
But without a real melody it is not really a song but a very one well-crafted snapshot.
It sounds really good, but I miss the story from the song. No story, there is a still image (but it is very good).
Actually, that's only what's missing from the song.
► Show Spoiler
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

VCA-089 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:24 CEST
fit into "Dune-like" sci-fi in it's modern rendition.
An absolute hit. The only thing I listened to before making the song was the Dune soundtrack. :smile:
VCA-089 wrote:
a very lazy approach to sound design
Yes, I realized when I started the beginning of the song that there is a lot of time to design for such a Dune-style, and it is impossible to do the basics in one day. :whiteflag:
VCA-089 wrote:
There is't much originality in arranging "dry" material, created by some one else.
Do you mean the sound design parts here? Because even the legato vocal line is not a loop but midi notes in the song. There is no melody in it that anyone else would have done (or loop) - except sweeps and other little fx's.
Do you think the strings, the horns, the vocals, the pan flute, all the sounds have to be made from a synthesizer by twisting the knobs? There's the KVR synth challenge for that. (I haven't attended it just once, maybe it's understandable why - the sound design part isn't really my favorite :smile:).
I think sound design is only a part of the whole story, creativity is also needed to deal with those sounds (or sound samples) in later stages (sometimes with more, sometimes with less success).
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:18 CEST
If I only looked at the picture, I wouldn’t feel like the singer/songwriter style was related to the picture here either, but in your description of the song can easily see what you did and what the relationship is.
And I really like the song :)
Thanks for you comments.

About the theme image, I'm glad you get the point. Some further explanation:

If one expects the almighty God to be an old white guy with a long beard, then it's quite natural to expect that maybe also the gate of heaven (or hell or Eden) is some sort of metallic construction. Not like in the theme picture.

BUT, on the other hand, if one's vision of God or Universe is different, then I wouldn't be surprised if the gate leading to another dimension could be described as a light waiting in the end of the spiral. (Hmm. doesn't it start to sound also like some descriptions from the Tibetan Book of the Death?)

Furthermore, if you look at the theme image, that guy standing there is looking at the light coming from the end of spiral, and he's standing still, he's not going anywhere, yet. I think he's saying silently: "ok, I'm coming, soon, soon but not yet." From that whisper I picked the main line for the words of my song. And as the music is describing his state of mind, in that sense also the music of my song springs directly from the theme image.
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Olli H wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 14:21 CEST
About the theme image, I'm glad you get the point. Some further explanation:

If one expects the almighty God to be an old white guy with a long beard, then it's quite natural to expect that maybe also the gate of heaven (or hell or Eden) is some sort of metallic construction. Not like in the theme picture.

BUT, on the other hand, if one's vision of God or Universe is different, then I wouldn't be surprised if the gate leading to another dimension could be described as a light waiting in the end of the spiral. (Hmm. doesn't it start to sound also like some descriptions from the Tibetan Book of the Death?)
I think near-death experiences always write about something bright at the end of a tunnel. This is more common than the metallic structure if I remember correctly :smile:

I was also thinking at the beginning how to understand the "picture theme" in the description, and I see several people interpreted the monthly task in different ways.

1. According to one point of view, the given picture was a specific task and not just an inspirational tool that allowed somebody to move completely freely in other directions. So many people actually wrote music like a background music - as if it were a movie scene or video. That's what some thought - at least based on the music, it seemed to me.

(This point of view is closer to me anyway. Probably because I also like to write music for the background of visual works - short trailers, movie scene, picture. And that’s why, for example, my instrument choices were the atmospheric background, the celestial horn and the pan flute - not only because of the high register and tone but also because of the connection to the Andes).

2. Some, on the other hand, used the picture only as a thought-provoking. The picture was just a mental inspiration, but the music (or sound choices) isn’t really related to the picture. I can accept the other point of view that the picture is only for inspiration if I see clearly how the image relates to the music - if I were to write magniloquent then: what pictorial motifs have been transferred to the music. Thats why was good that you added a little explonation to your original submission.
And thank you for the more additions.

Not to mention that the Pedal Steel from Impact SW can sound really ethereal and heavenly with a little reverb as I hear :)
A Future in Noise

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - Submissions until 24-04-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by A Future in Noise »

Olli H wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:22 CEST
Daniel Lanois visited Helsinki in 1996 as a member of Emmylou Harris' band. He had just produced her Grammy winning record "Wrecking Ball".
While I gather strength to write eight reviews, I take the opportunity to mention that I found that tape with Daniel Lanois. He is the "main artist" here, he isn't backing up anybody else. Now I do not know how many here are interested in him. If it's just one person, I might as well write a PM. But there could be several…

I'm almost certain that the concert was recorded in February 1990, and that Lanois primarily played keyboards. It must have been Swedish national radio that made the recording. Now I only managed to transfer one of the songs to digital form. And I'm not really sure if it's legal to share that kind of stuff? But if the concert has already been broadcast all over Sweden, so that anyone could record?

Anyway, one song is uploaded to my Google Drive, now, but I'll wait with publishing a link until I know if anyone is interested, and if @Mister Fox thinks the rules allow this. In any case, I will eventually transfer the entire concert to digital form.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - Submissions until 24-04-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 16:39 CEST
Anyway, one song is uploaded to my Google Drive, now, but I'll wait with publishing a link until I know if anyone is interested, and if @Mister Fox thinks the rules allow this. In any case, I will eventually transfer the entire concert to digital form.
You would be distributing a "bootleg". I won't give green lights to this (on our community), sorry.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - Voting until 01-MAY-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your feedback and cast your vote.

Please don't let yourself be put at a disadvantage by not participating. The Songwriting Competition lives from the given feedback towards each other. Outside feedback is welcome, of course.