2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Olli H

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - Submissions until 24-04-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Olli H »

Haplos wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 15:37 CEST
Hey everyone,
As we all can imagine, travelling through a space gate should be something that can be emotionaly hard...

Im entering this SW challenge with my song "Passenger", wich is a great name due to the theme :)
You have great sounds and melody lines here. Furthermore, the mood is very distinct. I like the fact it remains as one mood song.

But to me and to my hasty mind there's some problems with a bigger movement plan. The melody lines are quite short, and they repeat quite many times. And then you bring in a new great but short melody line, and again it loops quite many times. It starts to feel a bit static.

For example the opening is just great. Very special soundscape. Like some sort of abandoned industrial area.

But at 0.28, when the melody line has looped twice, I wish there could come some sort of change to loop. Maybe small variation to melody line, or perhaps bring in a new instrument into the background. Or even better instead of using 12 s loop four times, how about using 24 s loop twice.

The second loop-area starting around 0.45 is better from the point of view of movement as there you introduce small bass lines and small background variations. Now it has a feel that the loop resolves back to root every now and then.

To me the best part starts around 2:58. Now here's a transition from the whole band to bare melody with nice audible nuances. And then at 3:30 there's a new transition and you bring back the whole band.

Overall, I feel you have already about all the needed musical elements. With some spice here and there coupled with well planned use of mute button, you can create more small changes for ear to catch without stepping out from the interesting mood of your song.
Haplos

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - Submissions until 24-04-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Haplos »

Olli H wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 09:58 CEST
Haplos wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 15:37 CEST
Hey everyone,
As we all can imagine, travelling through a space gate should be something that can be emotionaly hard...

Im entering this SW challenge with my song "Passenger", wich is a great name due to the theme :)
You have great sounds and melody lines here. Furthermore, the mood is very distinct. I like the fact it remains as one mood song.

But to me and to my hasty mind there's some problems with a bigger movement plan. The melody lines are quite short, and they repeat quite many times. And then you bring in a new great but short melody line, and again it loops quite many times. It starts to feel a bit static.

For example the opening is just great. Very special soundscape. Like some sort of abandoned industrial area.

But at 0.28, when the melody line has looped twice, I wish there could come some sort of change to loop. Maybe small variation to melody line, or perhaps bring in a new instrument into the background. Or even better instead of using 12 s loop four times, how about using 24 s loop twice.

The second loop-area starting around 0.45 is better from the point of view of movement as there you introduce small bass lines and small background variations. Now it has a feel that the loop resolves back to root every now and then.

To me the best part starts around 2:58. Now here's a transition from the whole band to bare melody with nice audible nuances. And then at 3:30 there's a new transition and you bring back the whole band.

Overall, I feel you have already about all the needed musical elements. With some spice here and there coupled with well planned use of mute button, you can create more small changes for ear to catch without stepping out from the interesting mood of your song.
Thank you so much for your time !!
This is a track i've made 2 weeks ago, and as it fits to this challenge i said "ok let's go".
I love the main melody on this one, with a nostalgia feeling, but yeah, that's quite repetitive...
Maybe i can do a shorter version , but i don't know if i can upload it in remplacement (??)

that's my first participation on this forum, i'm a 45 yo musician , had a band late 90's early 2k, and now i'm doing things home but in a recreative way.Want to learn , and level up.
Check out my last record in my signature ;)

Thanks a lot

Cheers,

Hap'
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

Haplos wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:56 CEST
Maybe i can do a shorter version , but i don't know if i can upload it in remplacement (??)
According to the new rules in Songwriting Competition we're allowed to do new versions. And for the same reason it's easier and much more motivating to give comments 'cause we can actually help each other instead of just being afterwise.

It says so: "While the Songwriting Competition is not intended to be a WIP forum (work-in-progress), edits to and re-submissions of your songs are allowed. Feel free to always ask for feedback and help, improve on your mix and production - maybe there is "one final piece of the puzzle" missing that somebody else might point out prior to the end of the game. (please use the edit function of your post, don't submit multiple times)"

An interesting point point is that it's actually a very good way to learn something new by commenting. I think it develops one's musical ear to listen carefully other persons work in progress, and to think how to make it even better. That way one little by little learns to detect problems in one's own projects.
Haplos wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:56 CEST
that's my first participation on this forum, i'm a 45 yo musician , had a band late 90's early 2k, and now i'm doing things home but in a recreative way.Want to learn , and level up.
Sounds like my story, I just happen to be a bit older.
patrlord

Post by patrlord »

Hello everybody,

Here is my submission to the contest. My artist name is Digital Genes, but I put my forum username in the track title.

I used Ableton Live 11 + stock workhorse plugins, plus some 3rd party plugins:
- UJAM Glory + UVI Drum replacer on the kick + some totally mangled Regroover drum sample
- Various riser samples, bells, hits and drones from purchased libraries
- The Sub for bass
- UJAM Carbon + DS Thorn for arps
- Output REV for some reverse hits
- Usynth 2080, Serum, Output Analog Strings for chords and pads
- Serum and Phaseplant for leads
- Other FX: Shaperbox to tighten some drums and stabs, Kilohearts TranceGate for stutter, Unfiltered Audio Silo + Output Portal for granular FX
- Mastering: Stock glue compressor & EQ + Gullfoss, Spectre, BX True Peak Limiter, Izotope Tonal Balance Control

Happy to hear your feedback and suggestions !

Edit: As per competition rules, I'm documenting here the changes I made to the original submission on 19 April, which I also described in my post of the same date:

Following helpful feedback from @Haplos I made the following changes:
- His idea of using more 'real/analog' drum sounds on the chorus was excellent ... I added an extra layer with a beefy heavy metal snare (from UJAM Heavy) and turned down the 80s snare a bit --> and the chorus sounds way better !
- For the break + drop I played around to make it a bit more interesting. I'd already used some reverse type FX elsewhere, I added in a couple more (subtly) to the build and then the end of the drop to add some variety.
Last edited by patrlord on Sat May 21, 2022 12:36 CEST, edited 3 times in total.
Indielectronica @ http://digitalgenes.com
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - Submissions until 24-04-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 3 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song.

And to those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - maybe set yourself a private, was shorter deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes. By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:
Haplos

Post by Haplos »

Hey everyone,
According to the new rules, i 've just edit my first post and re-upload the new version and new mix of my song.

Thanks for the feedback, i feel more comfortable with this new version :smile:

Happy Easter

Hap'
Haplos

Post by Haplos »

patrlord wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 17:04 CEST
Hello everybody,

Here is my submission to the contest. My artist name is Digital Genes, but I put my forum username in the track title.

Hey @patrlord
Sound really great ! I love the chord progression there and the global Feeling of the song.
Maybe the break-down is not the right One , i mean that’s really «straight » , a rewinding tape could be great too 🔥
On the last part, i think A real drum sound (vsti) could give so Much energy, i love 80s too ;) but I prefer real Drum (Personnal taste)
Good job and see y’a around 🤘🔥
alavault

Post by alavault »

Hello there !
Submission (Atar 8K50) : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_rkY2m ... sp=sharing
This is a draft from last year where I experimented with SuperWave P8, to get that JP8000 sound I love so much.
Underlays with Spire. Basses too.
The drums are from Superior Drummer, with an underlay from DR660 samples.
Usual Ibanez into Soldano-like amp emulation.
This is basically the same setup as M1 (from SWC051), minus the Korg M1.
It needs a remix though...
Hopefully it will not be off-topic.
patrlord

Post by patrlord »

Haplos wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 08:10 CEST

Hey @patrlord
Sound really great ! I love the chord progression there and the global Feeling of the song.
Maybe the break-down is not the right One , i mean that’s really «straight » , a rewinding tape could be great too 🔥
On the last part, i think A real drum sound (vsti) could give so Much energy, i love 80s too ;) but I prefer real Drum (Personnal taste)
Thanks @Haplos !

Now that idea of yours of putting a more 'real' drum sound on the chorus was excellent ... I added an extra layer with a beefy heavy metal snare (from UJAM Heavy) and turned down the 80s snare a bit --> and the chorus sounds way better !

For the break + drop I played around to make it a bit more interesting. I'd already used some reverse type FX elsewhere, I added in a couple more (subtly) to the build and then the end of the drop to add some variety. Track updated on Soundcloud - please see original post
Last edited by patrlord on Wed Apr 20, 2022 23:19 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Indielectronica @ http://digitalgenes.com
Haplos

Post by Haplos »

Haplos wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 08:10 CEST

Hey @patrlord
Thanks @Haplos !

Now that idea of yours of putting a more 'real' drum sound on the chorus was excellent ... I added an extra layer with a beefy heavy metal snare (from UJAM Heavy) and turned down the 80s snare a bit --> and the chorus sounds way better !

For the break + drop I played around to make it a bit more interesting. I'd already used some reverse type FX elsewhere, I added in a couple more (subtly) to the build and then the end of the drop to add some variety. Track updated on Soundcloud, here it is :

[/quote]

WoW good job ! Sounds better now (?)
That Snare is HEAVY 🤘 When i said real Drum i was thinking Kick/Snare/hi-hat ( personnal taste again) but it will maybe not fit the mood of the song.
Anyway you did good job here, that’s progressive and the chorus add some strenght to the whole title.My song is a straitgh line compared to yours.
(According to the rules you have to upload your last mix by editing your first post, don’t forget to do it 😉)
See ya around
Hap’