2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC061 September 2022 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Rich_Rath

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC061 September 2022 - Submissions until 24-09-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Rich_Rath »

PocketSunlight wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 22:01 CEST

Rich Rath – I quite like the drive and tempo of the song, and also the style of vocal presentation. I feel the playing needed to be much tighter to eliminate disruptive cross rhythms and allow the ‘bounce’ of the tune to shine. I note you explain why the timing is like it is – just attempting feedback on what I actually heard! Thank you for the opportunity to hear it and best wishes.
Thanks for listening! Could you tell me when you last gave it a listen? I've been making changes up to yesterday so I hope that although it is still a little loose, it is getting into close enough territory. If it was yesterday, cool and I'll see what I can do by tomorrow. If it was before yesterday, it would be great if you could give it another listen to see if current version has dealt with the issue enough. Thanks for your feedback.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC061 September 2022 - Submissions until 24-09-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production.

Please get your production ready and submitted (through the forum) today. :phones:
And to make it easier for me to create the collection post, please update your initial post with the appropriate links, or explicitly mark your entry as "final entry". Thank you.
Olli H

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC061 September 2022 - Submissions until 24-09-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Olli H »

thenanocats wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:44 CEST
Cool, I really like the rhythm of the lyrics. This works very well.

I would prefer to hear the main vocal lines with more natural sound. If the vocals were mono or almost mono, it would create a nice 3d sound stage where the vocals would be in the center and music around it.
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 22:32 CEST
Introducing my theme for this month's challenge.
Awesome, you're really getting better month by month.

I like the bass and how it in some sort of way provides the main melody line. But now it's quite far away dwelling in the midst of tails of other instruments. I would test what would happen to the sound stage if the bass was closer and 3 dbs louder.

Check those end notes of the bass lines at 0.26, 0.39, 045, 1:01, 1.16 etc. As if something is out of tune. Could it be that the correct bass note blends with extremely long reverb tails of previous chords, giving the out of tune feeling.

For some reason I'm not a big fan of using pseudo-lady as the main instrument.
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Post by KukoBass »

Olli H wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 09:38 CEST
I might try to add some automation to trumpet. For example it could work if it were not so close but in 5 meters distance. The distance might alter from far distance to little closer here and there.
And also you might check those places where the trumpet and speak are simultaneous. Especially in those places trumpet could be somewhere in the background.
Thank you for your feedback! All good ideas. I tried implementing them, but unfortunately at this stage I can't really "place" an instrument. The trumpet just sounded less loud, not further away, when I reduced the volume. :hmmm:

The other thing I tried is to put a compressor with the voice as sidechain source on the trumpet. It is my first time experimenting with sidechain compression and I could not get it right for now. :whiteflag:

I will look deeper into this and experiment with both suggestions in future projects. :educate: :gotidea:
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Post by KukoBass »

Rich_Rath wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 09:17 CEST
In it's minimalism, it reminds me of one of my favorite bands, the duo Broadcast.
I didn't know them and just checked them out. Wow, thank you!
Rich_Rath wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 09:17 CEST
One thing I would explore might be to add some imperfection to the bass. There seems to be a little detuning and maybe some randomization but it could be effectively made more textural.
Thank you for your suggestions. I didn't want to change to a different instrument at this late stage, so I experimented with different settings for Dent 2 in order to make the sound more "imperfect" and textural. It sort of worked, but unfortunately, I messed up my drums in the process, so I decided to stick with the already uploaded version. :face:

I have some PureMagnetic sounds and plugins and will try them out in future projects. :tu:
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

KukoBass wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 15:27 CEST
The trumpet just sounded less loud, not further away, when I reduced the volume. :hmmm:
I'm not sure about this, but wouldn't more reverb, at the same time as the volume is lower, create a feeling of a more remote trumpet? Because that's exactly what is going to happen, if you in your livingroom, for example, walk away from the mic playing the trumpet.
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

PocketSunlight wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 22:01 CEST
A Future In Noise – I particularly like the evolution sonically from 0.45 seconds. Got lots of interesting ideas/textures going on, which make it a nice journey. Liked the subtle solo too.
Thanks for your analysis. But do you really mean 0:45? 'Cause that's in the middle of the third bar of the first chorus. And BTW, as you know you are supposed to rank the entries, and apart from that I think it is required that all tracks are downloadable (?) And since no one has pointed this out to @Dear David John, I do that now. Maybe you should make your track downloadable?
PocketSunlight

Post by PocketSunlight »

Hi A Future In Noise - I tried to email message you direct but something about bbcodes came up which I can't resolve! So just a quick note on the main forum:-

Sorry for the imprecision - the 0.45 time was approximate. Like I said in the post - I've had one listen to each track and am unable to revisit any of the tunes at this time. (Take note, Rich Rath!)

My understanding (from Mr Fox) was the entries are ranked in the 2nd stage (?) - I'm going away (and might not even have time to do this).

Hadn't realised my track wasn't downloadable - thanks for pointing it out - I've rectified this.

Good luck to you & Best wishes
J.Golden12345

Post by J.Golden12345 »

How do I upload an entry? via soundloud?