2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC062 October 2022 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC062 October 2022 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th October 2022, 0:25 UTC+2/CEST - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

STATISTICS:
  • If I didn't miscount, we have 9 submissions this month (3 entries less than last month, but also 1 more than October 2021)
  • We have 0 submissions after the deadline (as of 25-OCT-2022 0:10 UTC+2/CEST)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been disqualified (production released outside of the game's timeframe)
  • We have 0 submissions that have been withdrawn (but counts as entry within the deadline)
  • The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply
  • "Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than eight participants results in a single winner) does not apply (3-position Winners Podium)

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours (usually up to 6-12 hours maximum after the game has ended), I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that these entries are downloadable. We then perform with the final feedback and "public vote" system.

We have 9 participants. Usually we would run the known "voting mechanic". However, this month we're trying something new, as talked about in the following news blog:

Songwriting Competition - game mechanic changes: Voting Process (October 2022 Update)

Summarized:
Participants can (and must) vote for their Top 5 entries. You're furthermore asked to please reflect on your experience this month (2-3 paragraphs max). However, you are also asked give feedback to at least three (number: 3), but no more than five (number: 5) entries that either stood out to you and you would like to provide some additional final thoughts, or where you could provide constructive feedback for possible improvements. These entries can be outside of your personal "top entry" voting.

The staff will not cast a balance vote, unless there is a tie that can't be broken (or if it would add a bit more spin to the game, see below).

The "Voting Process" mechanic is mandatory for all participants, and the only criteria to drop out of the game by not partaking. Please cast your vote (not the feedback) in collective form through the "spoiler text" bbcode. Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
For transparency:

Due to time constraints, the staff (Mister Fox) will not give feedback to all entries and/or cast a vote this month.

Feedback from non-participants and/or collaborators is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that sadly do not count for the current running game (even if you've exceeded the deadline, why not post your entry regardless?). Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

Have some general feedback? Please provide that here:
Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread, or on Discord.

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Dear David John

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC062 October 2022 - preparation phase

Post by Dear David John »

Thank you @KukoBass
Your feedback was very helpful and much appreciated.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC062 October 2022 - Voting until 01-NOV-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Tuesday, 01-NOV-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

Dear David John wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 01:50 CEST
"Surely Designed"

ryanc wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 04:55 CEST
"Evergreen"

MP3: Google Drive playback and download
KukoBass wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 13:44 CEST
"Waiting For The Fall"

WAV: Google Drive playback and download
GamaGama wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 19:17 CEST
"I Want To Be A Leaf"

MP3: Google Drive playback and download
Arelem wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 20:00 CEST
"Addicted"

patrlord wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 23:22 CEST
"Hey You (feat. Laura Pistorio)"

WAV: Dropbox playback and download (last submitted version)

ADMIN INFO: Please check the original post regarding the initial entry and documentation. The upper linked song is the updated version from here (post editing would have been nice).
EsteveCorbera wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 23:32 CEST
"Una Canço Com Qualsevol"

Crosshatched wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 13:06 CEST
"The Sky Opens Up"

Olli H wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 19:01 CEST
"Still You Care About Me"

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

A Future in Noise wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 14:31 CET
"When Yellow Turns To Green"

<no bonus entries>

:arrow: GAME MECHANIC SUMMARY:
► Show Spoiler

Good luck to all participants! :tu:

If you have an idea for a future Songwriting Competition, please post about this in the theme/genre request page.
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC062 October 2022 - Voting until 01-NOV-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by KukoBass »

Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 02:35 CEST

:arrow: GAME MECHANIC SUMMARY:
We are trying something new!
Short Form:
  • Please cast a vote for your top 5 entries
  • Please reflect on your experience with this game (in 2-3 paragraphs tops)
  • then..
    • either -- give some final thoughts on at least 3, but no more than 5 entries that stood out to you (general thoughts)
    • or -- give constructive feedback for at least 3, but no more than 5 entries that could see possible improvements (more technical - especially for, in your opinion, lower ranked productions)
    This month's SWC participants giving feedback to each other (to every participant) is mandatory, it is the only criteria to ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    drop out of the game by not partaking. If you have collaborated with somebody, then only the one doing the main entry needs to give feedback and vote. Bonus feedback is always welcome. However, please be open minded, objective and constructive.
This ^^^^ is a little confusing. Do we have to give feedback to every participant or to 3-5 participants only?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC062 October 2022 - Voting until 01-NOV-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Oh... that paragraph section in the parentheses (rounded brackets) was an oversight. Apologies, happens if you post late at night.

You still have to give feedback to each other of course, but you only need to write something for 3-5 participants. See also this news blog post
Crosshatched

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC062 October 2022 - Voting until 01-NOV-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Crosshatched »

First, comments on others' pieces. (Thank you!)
► Show Spoiler
Now, attempts at rankings (not objective, and not much about mixing either):
► Show Spoiler
Reflections on my work process:
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

This is a great start - thank you.

Although you gave feedback to 6 users (3 minimum to 5 maximum). However, since we're trying something new this month, no worries. You (as in every participant this month) can put every feedback commentary into the "Spoiler Tags", but you really only need to do that for the vote.

:arrow: Bonus info for everyone:

I will consider the 1st Position to be the highest points. So 01st Position = 10pts, 02nd Position = 09pts, etc.
You can use either listing as known from previous months, I will make sense of it.
ryanc

Post by ryanc »

I enjoyed participating in this month's contest. It's challenging and fun to work within such a short time-frame and within specific guidelines and parameters. Given the time constraints and an already busy life, I focus the majority of the time on writing, and give little thought to the production end of things. Seeing as this is a songwriting contest, I try to focus primarily on that element in my judging as well; I consider, (1) how well does the melody/lyrics align with the theme, (2) how well the song fits the assigned genre, (3) is the song well-written? My results, therefore, don't necessarily reflect my personal preferences, rather, my best attempt at judging objectively by those criteria.

Here's my feedback:
1. Still you care about me
Interesting and complex chord progression. Melody and instrumentation are interesting and engaging. Lyrics are fun as well and fit nicely with the theme. Song style also fits theme well.
2. Hey you
Interesting and pleasant vocal performance and production. Song style fits theme. However, the lyrics didn't seem to fit the theme.
3. I Want to Be a Leaf
Melody is interesting and the vocaloid is pretty neat. Guitar solo was great. The vocal melody got a bit repetitive and the vocaloid, though interesting at first, became a bit grating.
4. Surely Designed
Interesting lyrics, although they don't seem to fit the theme. I enjoy the instrumentation and the change of meter for the chorus makes for an interesting choice.
5. Una Canco Com Qualsevol
Nice vocal performance. The lyrics don't seem aligned with the theme. The drum beat is cool, but becomes repetitive and there isn't a very clear or interesting break/difference between the verse and the chorus.

Here are my rankings:
1. Still you care about me
2. Hey you
3. I Want to Be a Leaf
4. Surely Designed
5. Una Canco Com Qualsevol
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Post by KukoBass »

My top 5 entries for this month's competition are:
► Show Spoiler
It was challenging for me to write something uplifting for a change. I feel that I work best with slow beats and minor chords. But I had a happy musical motif to start with. My challenge was to get to a finished song with intro, verses, a bridge and a different chorus part from that and to get that recorded somehow.

Also, I learned from this month's challenge is that voting doesn't get easier through the new mechanic. My first choice was clear, but to decide which songs will be where on the four other places was hard as always. On the other hand, having to give feedback only to between 3 and 5 entries makes the feedback part of the competition a lot easier for me.

The songs that stood out for me the most were

RyanC "Evergreen"
My first choice, because so many good parts are getting even better by working perfectly together in this song. The intro building up and then giving room to the first verse, the music behind the verses building up tension again. The rhythm feels upbeat, the melody is uplifting and matches the text.
I loved the "let's get quiet ..." pause (and that the bass player is the last one to go quiet - was that a bassist joke or just a musical choice?).
The rhythm of the piano chords in the chorus remind me of Labi Siffre's "It must be love" (the cover version by "Madness"). The playful piano solo before the second chorus is charming. The bass does what a bass should do: Be present enough to be enjoyable, but not too intrusive.
All in all, a wonderful example that a great song is more than the sum of its parts.

Dear David John "Surely Designed"
The music is sad and wasn't at all what I expected from "uplifting pop". But the song is simply beautiful!
The lyrics are deep and somehow comforting, like a warm blanket on a cold autumn day.

EsteveCorbera "Una Canço Com Qualsevol"
This song has some very interesting and complex harmonics. I love the string pads. The harmonic interaction between vocal samples and music is creating a musical tension that makes the song unique.
Not at all a "Song like every other"!

Olli H "Still You Care About Me"
The song sounds playful and happy. I like the concept of the lyrics and the tongue-in-cheek-humor.

patrlord "Hey You (feat. Laura Pistorio)"
Excellent vocals! Powerful song!
I had a hard time deciding if it should be in my five favourites or not.
► Show Spoiler
GamaGama

Post by GamaGama »

This month's topic "forced" me to invent an adequate text: I'm not very good with English, indeed not at all, and I'm afraid there are many errors and imperfections. I have also tried to generate the voices using Vocaloid, which I think is a valid instrument from which I have probably asked too much: certainly in other musical genres it is much more effective. In my opinion it deserves to be studied better (as long as my trial version lasts ...)

Although not foreseen, I reported the feedback for all the songs, having noted them for my memory, I translated them with google and make them available. I think it can please the participants to have feedback anyway. Here they are:
► Show Spoiler

and here are my preferred songs:
► Show Spoiler