2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC063 November 2022 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
becsei_gyorgy

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC063 November 2022 - Submissions until 24-11-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Olli H wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 18:32 CET
the singer that I'm forced to use in my submissions can't keep the pitch, doesn't have the tone, doesn't have neither highs nor lows, and worst of all, he doesn't understand how ridiculous he sounds.
I don't think you need to be modest, I would accept this ridiculous voice for myself anytime. :wink:
Your voice and performance sounds great to me.

Olli H wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 19:09 CET
About guitars, I first tried to make darker and lower pitch power chords, but my attempts just didn't sound right. I just don't know how to make it right. The main reason for my skillessness in that area is probably the fact that neither my guitars nor my amp can be dialed up to 11. Actually, the use of inadequate gear could be a valid reason to disqualify me.
I can't explain it better, I feel your song a bit sterile for the heavy metal genre, it's too clean, a little dirtiness (but no distortion) is missing. Maybe some crunchy software guitar amp with playin' powerchords in the background might help, I don't know.

But I think the song itself sounds good now :clap: , if you like it that way, you don't need to change it, just for the sake of the competition announcement.
Treyt

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC063 November 2022 - Submissions until 24-11-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Treyt »

Final track final track final track
I hate this track. Not because I think it sucks but because doing this revealed how little I actually know, how stupid my workflow is, how nothing I know about vocal ANYTHING and how cobbled together everything I do is.

Screw this track.

Track name: If Heaven Calls
Genre: Some form of SID Metal idfk
I did guitar, vocals, used a flex preset for the synth bass, used serum to construct synth leads, and used a flex drumkit layered with one shot Paramore style kick and snare. Lotta other junk too, but that's the essentials.

I decided day one I wanted to join, but didn't get working on it until about 14 days into the month. First production day was a lot of figuring out guitar progressions, and getting some filler lyrics in so I could work on the concept. Then life kept getting in the way until it was down to the last two days, and that's when most of the track was done. I spent about 9 straight hours finishing it all up on the last day. Pitch correcting vocals sucks when you don't have a process figured out, and I couldn't get my guitar recordings to stop buzzing intermittently, so there's some fuzz in the first verse.

Anyway, hope everyone enjoys it. I do genuinely love this track, I'm just mad that I didn't give myself enough time to make it as perfect as I wanted it to be.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qQwCws ... share_link

Lyrics:
Covered by the darkness of the night
We struggle with the battle ahead
Now the ground is strewn with bodies and
there is nothing left alive I dread
-Can't feel the fire in my soul
Pressing on, I know I'm losing control
In my heart, the darkest chasm below the lies I've built to save me
We all want to save the world but
What's the point if we can't even
See beyond the fiction we believe in what's the
point if we can't save- our- selves-
-
Reaching for the light
Through dark and imperfection
In shadow we unite
Establishing connections
The price we've paid, the wounds and scars
To touch the light of just one star
If Hea. Ven. Calls. My. Name.
I'm The One They Will Blame
-
Struggling with every step I take
Pressing on, but I'm beginning to break
Is there anyone alive that can show me truth and help me light my way?

-I've been so tired of the conflict
I'm a convict by design
And I know that I'm the one that's broke it all but it's true that
We all want to change the world but
What's the point if we can't even
See beyond the fiction we've created what's the
point if we can't change- our- selves-
-
Reaching for the light
In shadow we unite
Establishing connections
If Hea. Ven. Is. To. Blame
Why Do We All Feel The Same
-
I'm not buying what I sell
I've opened my eyes, am changing myself
I can't atone for everything I've done
BUT I'M STARTING WITH THIS ONE
-Synth Solo-
Reaching for the light that feels like it never comes
-
Reaching for the light
In shadow we unite
Establishing connections
If Hea. Ven. Is. To. Blame
Why Do We All Feel The Same
-
Reaching for the light
I've found my new direction
Pushing through the blight
And seeking out correction
The price I've paid, the wounds and scars
To touch the the truth that seemed so far
If Hea. Ven. Calls. My. Name.
Last edited by Treyt on Fri Nov 25, 2022 17:00 CET, edited 3 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Before I bump the thread with a reminder that we're in the final 24 hours for submitting your production, I'd like to give some quick feedback:

:arrow: First and foremost:
You do not need to show off a song with vocals. You can also submit an instrumental. Just show us your talent!

Additionally:
If you update your productions, also update your initial post, as this makes it easier for me to find your most recent version. On top of that, I will consider deducting 2 bonus points from the score sheet if your entry isn't properly documented. This has really been slipping a bit this month.

@Arelem
Already got a lot of feedback through Discord. I'm happy to see he's still working on things.

@alavault
You're probably also still working on your production. Please update things accordingly.

@becsei_gyorgy
Please update your original post with more information regarding the vocals. From a follow-up post, this is a collaboration? As per the Rule Book, this needs to be pointed out.

@Olli H
If you have a chance to still work on the production, maybe consider adding a bit more "drive" going into the amp for the rhythm tracks, pull back the bass a bit, and slightly distort it a bit more. At the moment, it sounds more "pop" than metal.

@Dear David John
Please update your post regarding the production. Also, as mentioned, please check your LUFS and dBTP values (@A Future In Noise, I appreciate the comment, but I enforce the rules, thank you).

@Treyt
First and foremost, welcome... liking the "SID Metal Style". I am aware this is still a WIP. Please keep in mind for the update... maybe a bit more "lowend" for the vocals, maybe also make them a tad louder as well. And for the final release: properly named (see post #01) and within the right loudness specs.

Six entries so far, looking forward to the next 24 hours!

SPREAD THE WORD!
And keep on rocking! :guitar:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC063 November 2022 - Submissions until 24-11-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production.

Please get your production ready and submitted (through the forum) today. :phones:
And to make it easier for me to create the collection post, please update your initial post with the appropriate links, or explicitly mark your entry as "final entry". Thank you.
Dear David John

Post by Dear David John »

Thank you for this.
The style and sound does lean towards an aggressive compression however that does not sound like the LUFS value I printed it at. So I must of made a boo boo. Thanks again for pointing it out.
Dear David John

My suggestion or comment is that you scrap that track and start over. HAHA

Treyt wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 20:43 CET
I'm finishing the track tomorrow. Have all day to do everything that's left to do. I'm open to critique on everything except:

Guitar placement and chords played (have changes written that haven't been implemented yet)
Lyrics (already have major changes written)

Everything else is up for roast, though I have a lot of changes I'll be doing outside of the previous list. Mix, harmonies, vocal melodies, synth usage, etc, suggestions are welcome and demanded.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/141qRgQ ... p=drivesdk
Dear David John

LUFs issue should be amended now.
Also you are completely true about my lack of attention to points. However that was a production blunder on my part and regardless needs to be corrected. Cheers brother
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Challenge companions and Mister Fox, Good night!!

This month I didn't want to make a Heavy Metal song, but to take advantage of the Heavy and the guitars to make an instrumental action theme. A few days ago I recovered Alan Silvestri's Eraser soundtrack and there is a heavy-type track that starts with guitars and ends in an orchestra. From this point, I developed this action theme imagining that it would work for an action movie from the 90s (or maybe, also the 80s).
There is a wind section of the orchestra, cinematic percussion, distorted guitars and drums.
Lights, cameras and action!!

I hope you find it interesting.

P.S. This month I have been very busy doing a course on Arturia Pigments and have not been able to follow the discussion or comment. Excuse me

Thank you colleagues.

(translated with google)

Equipment:
DAW:
Reason 12

Instruments:
Rack Extension ProjectSAM Orchestral Sampler
A List Electric Guitarist Power Chords
Thor Polysonic Synthesizer

Effects:
RV7000 MkII Advanced Reverb
Softube Guitar Amp

Players:
Scales & Chords
Quad Note Generator

Utilities:
Combinator
Line Mixer 6:2

Other instruments outside of Reason:
Native Instruments KONTAKT
Sonivox Big Bang Cinematic Percussion
UJAM Virtual Drummer Heavy
UJAM Virtual Guitarist CARBON

Othet effects outside of Reason:
WAProduction Puncher 2

Other tools:
iZotope Ozone 9
Plugin Alliance SPL HawEye

Kontakt libraries:
ProjectSam The Free Orchestra

Samples:
Ghosthack – Impacts (Free)
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

My submission

phpBB [media]

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PA4Pgk ... share_link
FLAC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qc2Rj5 ... share_link
MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dvs_FK ... share_link

For this time I tried to create heavy metal soundtrack for an action game that has a blend of dark fantasy and industrial aesthetic (think "Devil May Cry"). I tried to recreate the sound of an industrial metal band I used to listen in early 2010's (it's not very famous, you may not recognize it). I used a lot of solo guitar to compensate the lack of vocals.

Instruments & techniques:

1. "Addictive Drums" with "United Heavy" pack as a main drum machine. I think I bought it several years ago and completely forgot about it. It's time to finally set it into action.
2. IK Multimedia "MODO BASS 2 CS" used for a 5-string bass sound (tuned to drop A).
3. Ujam "VG-Carbon" used for a rhythm guitar part (also tuned to drop A).
4. MusicLab "RealLPC" used for solo guitars.
5. TAL-Sampler used for synth choirs and strings. It aslo used for some SFX patches.
6. Cherry Audio "PS-20" used for a bass sequence.
7. A sounds from several "99Sounds" libraries used to create background atmospheres.

Produced in FL Studio 20.9.2

Technical details:
► Show Spoiler
Olli H

Post by Olli H »