2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Voting until 01-APR-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

The songwriting challenge realy helps in thinking outside of the box. This month even more. I had to download a random chord generator because I never used one. At first it took me a while to play something that I could use but when I let go of the direction I wanted it to go and just went with the flow and started creating…just anything. The ideas started to come. I am happy with the result because I had lots of fun making it. The guitarparts made it a catchy song, otherwise the chords would just be boring weird chords. But thanks to those chords i came up with the rest of the song.

Feedback
I am aware of the fact that music is a personal piece of art. So first of all I want to give respect to all participants of the contest. Everybody put effort in creating something unique.
Here is my feedback:
► Show Spoiler
And my top 5 (I found it difficult to pick a top 5, there where no bad songs……)
► Show Spoiler
madmax

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Voting until 01-APR-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by madmax »

"Dissonance in Harmony"
Based on ostinato bass and four bars harmony that is dissonant, compared to a classical idea of dissonance.
The melodies move to create tension and relax, creating some dissonant chords, like b9, #11, even b13,
it's inline with the rules?
No collaboration, just sit and play.
I'm sorry, How I can upload a pictures?

I dont't heard any dissonance, just usual chord, major, minor, 7th and 6
that are, in complex harmony, simple chord, just for create a simple tension.I heard a good songs.

For me

JeroenZuiderwijk
Mellow Browne
Arelem
Jorgeelalto
becsei_gyorgy
Thanks guys, it is a geat school for me
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Hi,
My experiences, what was good for studying this month:
• using Scaler to create basic chord progressions and I finally learned a bit more about Scaler's wider possibilities. I watched 1-2 videos about the suggestion mode and modulation mode of the program.
• I've also used Cthulhu very little so far, and now I've found it really useful for creating arpeggios. I will probably use it more in the future, even in other styles of music.
•And which gave me even more experience:
I wrote in the post of my submission that my song is very unbalanced and unmixed.
This is because - although I started making the song late - the melodic progression, midi parts for main instruments, etc. were ready relatively quickly, but afterwards I suffered a lot in the mixing and mastering phase.
When the sound seemed relatively acceptable on my DT 880 and DT 990 headphones, I listened to it on an AKG K72 and got a shock. Also on the phone, or the Sound ID Reference's various mix checks (Car, Laptop, Speaker emu's) etc. sounded terrible. I couldn't make a mix that would have sounded relatively acceptable on several devices. Terribly uneven sound image, bad reverbs, etc.
After that, I changed the reverb, took out pad instruments from the middle, added OTT to the kick, etc. Little by little, everything cleared up, but I had to realize that it could be improved, but the instrumentation itself and the choice of synth sounds didn't always go well, so I tried to do the best I could in the limited time (the evening of the last day).
Now listened to again, so that it is more or less listenable in hindsight, but it was the result of a long and painful process (like almost never before). But it involved a lot of research and thinking, which was great.

This month's feedback
Again, it was difficult to score, since it's like apples and oranges: songs of completely different genres were made.
Since overall every song has a lot of value, and this month there were high quality songs, I tried to write more about what I would do differently.
Which is, of course, a completely subjective matter, either someone finds something useful in them, or completely ignores them, because they do not fit with his artistic ideas - the latter is also completely understandable :)
I use a translator and this make my words a little simpler and less sophisticated, so please don't take it personally if I've packed something a little less than nice words :)
When reading my experiences please note that my main headphones are the Beyer DT 990 Pro with some SoundID Reference correction.

Feedbacks:
► Show Spoiler
Top 5:
► Show Spoiler
juhu

Post by juhu »

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 15:10 CEST
juhu - Mirror Image
Are you saying that this is Logic's stock "Studio Trumpet" sound we're hearing and that you played from a keyboard?
Correct - I used my left hand to trigger different Articulations on the "Studio Trumpet" patch while playing melody with my right hand at the same time, that's why it sounds so organic for MIDI. I'm sure it wouldn't fool any real trumpet players out there into thinking it's a real instrument, but it would probably fool me if I didn't already know it was MIDI :shrug:
becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 15:10 CEST
The mix is also very tasty.
:hail: Glad to hear this mix turned out OK! You see, I always struggle with my mixing phase a lot, and I tend to spend about 70% of my time and effort on mixing and only 30% of my time and effort on composition, arrangement and recording phases. I really want to learn to mix faster so that I can put more attention on composition and arrangement. I also tend to be unable to clearly separate my mixing phase from other phases, meaning that I record a section, then I'm unhappy with the clarity, so I mix and polish that section to get max clarity, and then resume recording. I know this is the wrong order of doing things, but I keep repeating this rookie mistake over and over again :face:

CONCLUSION: my tracks tend to turn out like the top horse because I tend to use the top workflow, so I need to learn to work using the bottom workflow instead:

Just to :beatdeadhorse:
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

:tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Voting until 01-APR-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

madmax wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:51 CEST
I dont't heard any dissonance, just usual chord, major, minor, 7th and 6
that are, in complex harmony, simple chord, just for create a simple tension.I heard a good songs.
The task of this month's game was to create something with the help of a harmony theory/chord generation tool. The "theme" was basically a play on words, not a definite "you have to".

Also, please provide more feedback as mentioned in the "TL;DR Rules". Please see previous posts of how this could look, and use the edit button on your post to update your feedback. Not participating in the feedback and voting process is the only criteria to be disqualified from the game.

Thank you.
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

juhu wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 16:19 CEST

Correct - I used my left hand to trigger different Articulations on the "Studio Trumpet" patch while playing melody with my right hand at the same time
Thanks for the reply. So you changed articulations during your performance. Congratulations, it sounds great. And I didn't know it before, but it looks like Logic's stock trumpet is quite good.
juhu wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 16:19 CEST
You see, I always struggle with my mixing phase a lot, and I tend to spend about 70% of my time and effort on mixing and only 30% of my time and effort on composition, arrangement and recording phases.
A very good image with the horses :lol: , sometimes producers run into this, fiddling with sound more than they should unnecessarily early on.

Anyway, I don't like this method because a nice mix usually requires high quality and/or system resource intensive plugins (and e.g. 7-8 good softsynths is already CPU intensive enough), which increases latency, which makes it harder and harder to record new tracks live, etc. (usually I play everything from the keyboard, very rarely I write midi notes in the DAW (e.g. some arpeggios))
And constantly freezing the tracks is quite cumbersome because I'm tweaking the composition several times later in the creation process.
So that's why i don't often make the mistake of making perfect mixes of the first 8 bars :smile:
And telling the truth I don't like fiddling with FX plugins much anyway, I'm more interested in the composition.
That's why electronic music is hard for me, where a kick-bass setup can take some producers days to mess around with :phones:
juhu

Post by juhu »

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 09:16 CEST
I didn't know it before, but it looks like Logic's stock trumpet is quite good.
Just found this Youtube clip that explains how to trigger Articulations from your keyboard in real-time, check it out:
https://youtu.be/-PCyKAGD2uI?t=201
becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 09:16 CEST
...a nice mix usually requires high quality and/or system resource intensive plugins (and e.g. 7-8 good softsynths is already CPU intensive enough), which increases latency, which makes it harder and harder to record new tracks live, etc. (usually I play everything from the keyboard, very rarely I write midi notes in the DAW (e.g. some arpeggios))
And constantly freezing the tracks is quite cumbersome because I'm tweaking the composition several times later in the creation process.
Apple Silicon can help alleviate that particular problem substantially, e.g. 16" M1 Pro with 32GB RAM will run complex DAW sessions while remaining cool, quiet and pretty stable at low latency. Scarlett 18i20 (1st Gen) at 128 samples buffer size reports 4.5ms output latency (relevant for virtual instruments) and 9.2ms round-trip latency (relevant for virtual guitar amps) and doesn't glitch provided that you close your web browsers and other intensive apps (and even if you do keep web browsers open it glitches super rarely). I literally do not know what kind of noise the fans make because the fans have never turned on yet, ever. I can't comment on M1 Max or any of the M2 chips though, these may or may not thermal-throttle more easily.
Last edited by juhu on Mon Mar 27, 2023 19:07 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

juhu wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 13:28 CEST
Just found this Youtube clip that explains how to trigger Articulations from your keyboard in real-time, check it out:
https://youtu.be/-PCyKAGD2uI?t=201
Thank you for the video :tu:
I was wondering about the sound of the Stock Trumpet because I use Windows and I haven't heard any other work on the internet using the Logic Stock Trumpet as a trumpet track. But with skillful use and a good mix you can get a good sound out of it, your work is an example. :clap:
Jorgeelalto

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Hi all,

First of all, my feedback to all entries:
► Show Spoiler

Now for my top 5:

1. A Future In Noise
2. juhu
3. Mellow Browne
4. KukoBass
5. Canese

Finally, reflecting on the experience: I'm not really a fan of using music theory tools for myself, but that's because the genres I usually make are not musically complex so I don't need them -- they would condition me to certain musical structures that we don't use. Still I got to be inspired by one, albeit a bit unconventional still (ChatGPT), so I will definitely take advantage of it in the future when I require something more musical. I appreciate simplicity though, and that's something most tools don't provide me -- lots of options, having to MIDI route stuff, etc. I'd very much prefer an in-DAW MIDI generation tool that prints it directly to my timeline, but well...

The best part of participating here though has been hearing other people's materials and admiring the great variety of ideas and musical styles that are out there. Sometimes it's great to get out of our own's musical bubble, and learn to appreciate other stuff. I'll try and participate more often, when I have to get out of my comfort zone. :hug: