2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Songwriting Competition 067 - March 2023

:information_source: BEFORE WE GET STARTED:
  • Please consult the official and very simple "Rules and Guidelines" (TL;DR version) for the Songwriting Competition regarding principles of the game, it's engaging game mechanics (allowed editing/re-submission of your entry until the deadline has been reached) and upload/submission guidelines.
  • The general idea of this game is to "...just make music", to also challenge yourself by stepping a bit out of your comfort zone, and take a dip at realms you've never worked in before. Instrumentals are just as welcome as productions with vocals.
  • The Genre and "Premise" of this months challenge can be found in in post #002
  • Filename Template: SWC067_ArtistName_TrackName.wav and/or .mp3
Read more about this month's competition further down below. And if you got any question, please also reach out on Discord.

:arrow_right: SONGWRITING COMPETITION THREAD INDEX

Post #001 -- Introduction post and index for the various stages of the Songwriting Competition. Will be updated as we progress
Post #002 -- Submission Period: General Information, Source Material, Sponsors
Post #003 -- Cheat Sheet: A couple of examples / audio demos for this month's challenge (limited if genre is "free to select")
Post #066 -- Voting: Summarized entries and start of voting process
Post #116 -- Results: Results of the Songwriting Competition
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Submissions until 24-03-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Wednesday, 01st March 2023 to Friday, 24th March 2023 (24 days)

Challenge submission will end on 24-MAR-2023, 23:59 UTC+1/CET (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please either consult the Global Countdown (dedicated page), or the countdown on the landing site. There will also be short reminders on Social Media and on Discord. Does the game time frame feel too long? Why not set a personal shorter one of 5-7 days absolute max to push yourself to focus on the essentials, then use the rest of the time to ask for feedback and possible refinements. :idea:

SONGWRITING THEME: "Dissonance in Harmony" (Special Tools/Task Challenge)
GENRE: free to select

Image Source: Gerd Altmann (via Pixabay), released under Creative Commons CC0

A few word about this month's theme:
Staff (Mister Fox) wrote: I would really like to keep the "just make music" momentum going. And what better way, with testing new tools that help you with songwriting?

In that context: have you ever taken a closer look at modern "Chord Assistant" tools of various kind? :thinking:

Now before you say "but good sir, I am already well covered in that realm" - maybe try to approach this from a different perspective. You might have learned this particular bit of knowledge the hard way (classical training). You can easily combine "forms" at will, without looking at any chart or "Circle of Fifth". But when was the last time you experimented with a generator, just to see what an "engine" offers you. Something you might have never thought of. Or what about those musicians among us, that struggle with harmony theory, but have otherwise outstanding ideas with melodies and such? Then these tools help greatly in terms of creating a suitable foundation.

Making music is far from being "dark arts" anymore. Gone are the days of digging through endless manuals, theory books and what have you. These days, you have access to outstanding "helpers" from freeware to affordable, instant feedback at your fingertips. This in turn offers a way better entry point for those that were/are always thinking "where do i even start?!" or "I am not good enough to create something".

The general idea here is to step out of one's comfort zone, try something different, see where the road takes you, and maybe learn something new in the process. I am merely providing a sandbox, and point you to certain available tools. What is made out of that, is up to you.

Your task for this Songwriting Competition:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month, you can create a production in any music genre you feel like.
The twist -- you must use any chord generator at your disposal (may it be DAW built-in, or a third party tool)

To get a slight overview of "what's even out there", please consult post #003 of this thread.

You are not limited to just "basic chords". Going towards jazz/blues/etc rhythm and tone wise does make things more interesting (suspended chords, 7th and 9th chords, inversions, etc). This does not mean you are locked to a certain music genre - quite the contrary. You can even modulate the progression if you want to ("change the key ever so slightly", for example for introducing tension, or for a short section like a bridge).

The overall idea here is to step out of your comfort zone, experiment, create something more interesting other than the typical "I–V–vi–IV progression" you might have known and/or subconsciously used for years (also known as "The Pop Formula"). Though, please do try to limit yourself to 12 chords maximum in terms of chord progressions (also known as "form"). Keep listeners engaged rather than go super avant-garde with endless key modulation.

And as usual - vocals are optional.

Important (for the learning factor of our community):
Please do not only list the chord generation tools you've used. If possible, please also post your used chord progression with your entry (if you can't use the Roman Numerals system, just the chords in written form would suffice).

EDIT 2023-MAR-14: Please try to refrain from using "Band in a Box" (BIAB in short) for a sole "generate something, then call it quits" type entry. While the focus is to try something new, you should still please showcase "your" creation, not something purely done with AI, based upon pre-recorded construction kits.

This might be an interesting challenge... :educate:

Songwriting Rule Summary / Add-On Rules:
► Show Spoiler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:arrow_right: LICENSE SPONSORS (Bonus Prizes):

A huge thank you goes to our very generous License Sponsors for this month's game. Those being (in alphabetical order):

Cherry Audio, Ghostwave Audio, Hollow Sun, Hornet Plugins, IK Multimedia, JRR Sounds, kv331 audio, Luftrum, Musiclab, Rekkerd Sounds, satyatunes - Sound / Graphic Design, and Tone2.

A detailed list of offerings can be found in the following information block.
► Show Spoiler
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Submissions until 24-03-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

AUDIO EXAMPLES:
---------------------

Articles and Info Pages:

A great starting point is the "Addendum"/Supplementary thread for the Songwriting Competition
Songwriting Competition - Addendum: Music Maps and BPM Charts

Since the genre this month is "free to select", there are no clear pointers

Music examples (selection for inspiration, 00 videos):

No music examples available this month. But I can always recommend to enter random genre search words either into Youtube, Spotify or whatever music streaming services you prefer using.

Chord Progression and Harmony Theory tools (selection, in no particular order):
► Show Spoiler

Please also check in with the following threads in the the Gear Talk sub-forum, if you're on the look-out for new tools:
Places to fuel your GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) (the starting point if you're in need of audio tools -- from free to affordable).

More tools of the trade
► Show Spoiler

UPDATED: 28-FEB-2023 10:45 UTC+1, updated 00-MAR-2023 00:00 UTC+1
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production.

So far, we have 0 entries -- and no interaction either.

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 7 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song.

And to those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - set yourself a shorter private deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes.

By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Submissions until 24-03-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

I have downloade Ripchord. And I'm trying out some presets I've downloaded from the internet. But a lot of those presets are not consistent with the note I'm playing on the keyboard. Lets say I play a C note....but there is no C note in the chord that is being played by Ripchord. It's just random notes (I think). That is fine ofcourse and it forces me to think creative about the songstruture. But I have no idea how to catogorize it in I II III IV notation. I don't have enough music theory knowledge to figure out what root (if any) I'm playing in. Tips / advise would be welcome. Is it mandatory to provide this notation with the upload of the song when I can make no sense of it with the ripchord presets? Or should I just stick with the chords presets that are not that random?

Cheers,

Jeroen
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Oh, I completely forgot that tools like Xfer Records Cthulhu, InsertPiz midiChords and trackbout Ripchord, to a certain extend even CodeFN's Chordz and W.A. Prod InstaChord, are basically "one MIDI note > MIDI Chord Trigger" engines, that do not follow conventional means but rather what has been set up for the particular note you're playing.

In this case, writing down "Roman Numerical" notations is pretty much impossible, unless you know what you're doing. Great point to bring up.

Then let's defuse the situation a bit -- if possible, at least note down the chord progression you've created. No need to Roman Numerals as well.

If you can't do that either, don't worry. Just make music. :headphones:
Arelem

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Submissions until 24-03-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Arelem »

Hello All,

I used chorz to 'generate' some chords for me. The main progression is being strummed out in the guitar parts. I also have a synth playing the chords with some inversions and added 5th or 7th notes. The progression I ended up with is F#min i VII i v III VII i v.
The track is lofi-esque but isn't strictly following the standards for the genre. [EDIT] Tamed the bass a little and cleaned up the low end. I also played with some of the velocities in the guitar to get a better feel.

Drive link for download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/114yQX- ... share_link

Details:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Arelem on Thu Mar 23, 2023 05:56 CET, edited 1 time in total.
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Yo @Arelem,

I immediately started to freestyle over this beat, which is always a good sign. Will listen to it after work on my main monitors and will give you some feedback!
maxchirico

Post by maxchirico »

Sorry, I'm Max, I'm new. Where I can post my song? I don't found a link to upload
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Please check in with the TL;DR Rules, @maxchirico.

You basically upload where you want, and then link to your entry here on the forum.
Your entry needs to be easily accessible and available up until 45 days after the game has ended.