2020-MAY-09 Info: Please help spread the word about the Songwriting Competition and help it reach 15 participants per month on average

Visible posting position number

Rules, FAQs and a place to post possible issues with both the webpage and the forum
Auto-Prune: every 180 days
White Punk OD

Visible posting position number

Post by White Punk OD »

"can you comment my mix?" -- "Where is it?!"

"posting #87!"

Mr.Fox, please can you insert a visible posting number?

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Re: Visible posting position number

Post by Mister Fox »

I think you are after a similar feature like on GearSlutz (if I remember correctly, they use a customized vBulletin - which has this built in, KVRAudio uses a highly customized phpBB). I did find an extension that would offer this - but sans the "show single post only" component.

However - since the phpBB 3.3.x cycle is still fairly new, and I've already lost the occasional extension with the last update (earlier this month), chances are this might not work. So no promises.

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow: Update (2020-FEB-25 5:10am):
Forum feature request has been implemented.

Clicking on the post number will not(!) result in just showing the individual post (as it's possible with vBulletin).
This is a test run. If the extension slows down the forum too much, I will remove it again.

White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

Thanks so much, Mister Fox, :tu: :phones:

now we can discuss about e.g. a mix in posting #87, MC62, or whatever, and everyone will be faster to find that piece and listen quickly.
:D

The positioning for the #postingnumber is different from other systems e.g. vBulletin, but this is not really an issue, once we have found it on the screen..
When the number provides a link that opens the correct page, it would be enough, and probably it can also jump to the posting, with the typical anchor links that most systems create anyway.

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

The anchor link is the little page icon right beside the "by <username>"

I hoped to have a bit more space between the number and the page icon, but that's design stuff I'd rather not touch (yet, changing the style template is not always fun). It just works for the time being, and that's all that counts.

We will have to see how often this is used.