2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

Visible posting position number

Rules, FAQs and a place to post possible issues with both the webpage and the forum
Auto-Prune: every 180 days
White Punk OD

Visible posting position number

Post by White Punk OD »

"can you comment my mix?" -- "Where is it?!"

"posting #87!"

Mr.Fox, please can you insert a visible posting number?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Visible posting position number

Post by Mister Fox »

I think you are after a similar feature like on GearSlutz (if I remember correctly, they use a customized vBulletin - which has this built in, KVRAudio uses a highly customized phpBB). I did find an extension that would offer this - but sans the "show single post only" component.

However - since the phpBB 3.3.x cycle is still fairly new, and I've already lost the occasional extension with the last update (earlier this month), chances are this might not work. So no promises.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow: Update (2020-FEB-25 5:10am):
Forum feature request has been implemented.

Clicking on the post number will not(!) result in just showing the individual post (as it's possible with vBulletin).
This is a test run. If the extension slows down the forum too much, I will remove it again.
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

Thanks so much, Mister Fox, :tu: :phones:

now we can discuss about e.g. a mix in posting #87, MC62, or whatever, and everyone will be faster to find that piece and listen quickly.
:D

The positioning for the #postingnumber is different from other systems e.g. vBulletin, but this is not really an issue, once we have found it on the screen..
When the number provides a link that opens the correct page, it would be enough, and probably it can also jump to the posting, with the typical anchor links that most systems create anyway.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

The anchor link is the little page icon right beside the "by <username>"

I hoped to have a bit more space between the number and the page icon, but that's design stuff I'd rather not touch (yet, changing the style template is not always fun). It just works for the time being, and that's all that counts.

We will have to see how often this is used.
DSPplug

Post by DSPplug »

I agree that it's a useful idea. I was once a modifier of phpBB many years ago. I'm glad it survived but it still seems to suffer from the amount of spam registrations. Hard to dismiss the notion that perhaps it's the result of competition with paid companies making similar software.

I'd had a phpbb board, and would you believe it, My own host suggested there'd been too much of the same bot registration entries that I'd mentioned; that it was taking too great a toll on the server. I was told either fix, or delete phpBB or My account (leattol.com) would be banned with doteasy.com, lol.
Nice software though, assuming you can find a good anti-bot captcha.

Looks like this site really came together.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I found a fairly non-intrusive engine that handles bots quite efficiently, which resulted in barely any bot attacks / spamming for months. You went through that system during registering for an account (the "manual random question" alone doesn't block bot attacks). All is explained in detail on the About page on the main homepage.

Needless to say, the "post number" is not a phpBB 3.3.x standard feature. The add-on works like a charm for nearly a year now without any drastic overhead. The later added "mention" feature also barely puts any stress on the forum. Both features add to the readability and interaction on the forum - and they are here to stay.

I have no influence over how phpBB counts/indexes threads and posts in the database. It is weird in places, but as long as everything works, I'm not complaining.

Other than that, I am glad that you folks like how the site works.
DSPplug

Post by DSPplug »

Phpbb is one of the better. From My experience I noticed IPB somehow seemed to work faster but paying for it is expensive. The newer Phpbb seems actually lighter and faster than Vbulletin and IPB. I think assuming you can patch the captcha and so on, it's the forum software to employ.