2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

Mix Challenge - General Gossip Thread

Ask us a question, give feedback, join surveys, make suggestions
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Davias wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 22:17 CET
I have one question concerning files format : why is it we are using WAV for the mix challenge ?
:arrow_right: The long and short of it is:
Consistency and compatibility. No matter the OS, no matter the age of the used DAW

Technically, AIFF came first (Mac), but WAV (IBM PCs) became way more adapted.

:information_source: Additionally - it is also down to usability:

FLAC -- free GUI encoding/decoding front-ends not available for all platforms
WavPack -- most used on Windows or only specialized DAWs, free GUI encoding/decoding front-ends not available for all platforms (MacOS for example only works as command line)
MonkeyAudio (.ape) -- only available for Windows

ProTools for example can't load FLAC natively at all (according to quick searches). Most DAW's still can't load FLAC files natively without converting to WAV first. Others took years on end to even support that format in the first place (like Steinberg Cubase/Nuendo, Apple Logic, or Presonus StudioOne). Then let us not forget,that there are also still users out there with old rigs and/or setups (older DAW versions), that can not access this format without strange means of decoding to WAV or AIFF first .

The focus should therefore be the common denominator: WAV

I understand that some users still experience storage issues. But you don't need to store your entries for forever (only ideally until about 30 days since the last game has passed). After that, you can delete the file and the posted link on the forum will just run into a dead end. No issues there.

I am working on possible solutions on that topic (including "non accessible links" each month) -- but this takes more testing on my end.
Davias

Re: Mix Challenge - General Gossip Thread

Post by Davias »

Thanks for the explanation !

Good to know we don't have to keep them online forever. Will try to keep them on as long as I can then I'll replace by smaller files later on if needed.

I'm baffled to learn about pro tools and some formats not being available for mac though :O wavpack should be standard for every daw nowadays I think, and FLAC is so old already :)
Mixing : Reaper, Reason 12, Mixbus 32C 6.2, Cakewalk, Mixcraft 9, Samplitude
Producing : FL Studio, Reason 12, Renoise, Waveform
cpsmusic

Post by cpsmusic »

Hi All,

I have a technical question related to a particular mixing technique and whether it's permitted or not.

I'm referring to the "Andy Wallace" snare reverb technique (whether he actually uses it or not in unclear). In this technique the idea is to find a clean snare hit from the performance and then use this hit to trigger the snare reverb, as opposed to using the actual hit to trigger the reverb which of course can contain spill. Note that the original snare is still used in the mix, and the snare used for the reverb isn't a third-party sample but a hit from the song.

Is this permitted?

Cheers,

Chris
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Apologies for the late response, @cpsmusic -- I had to read up on this particular technique first.

I think you're talking about the following:

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Regarding your question as to whether or not this is allowed:
I'd say it is a definite "it depends". (as in: this is a greyzone)

With the video examples above: there were clearly drum samples used, that were not clean recordings of the actual drums, but something from a library. And even if it would only drive a reverb, this would be a clear "no" if we talk rules, as you would add a different drum material that wasn't provided as part of the multi-tracks.

In case of MC092 / June 2023... you actually have(!) triggered drums at your disposal (snare and "kick"/stompbox). So technically you can pull off that technique.

With other Mix(ing) Challenges, you might get access to sections of "clean drums" (without cymbal bleed), therefore you could in theory (emphasis!) create a drum track > MIDI trigger > "sample for reverb" setup. Or, you could use something like a de-bleeder (think old Accusonus Drumatom, or similar tools), or a careful setup with gates and dynamic EQs. As long as you can clearly proof / explain what you did, and why you saw a need for this.

:arrow_right: However, the following questions remain:

Which road to go - "total perfection" vs "character"?
And would "perfection" really benefit the production?

The choice is yours.
I hope this answers your question. :thinking:
cpsmusic

Post by cpsmusic »

Thanks, as you say, I not talking about adding anything that wasn't already in the recording, and I understand the rules about samples.

One thing I'd say is, that I'm not really looking for "total perfection", rather it's more about bringing the best out of less-than-ideal recordings.

Cheers!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

While we do have access to varying content, I wouldn't say that we ever really had "less-than-ideal" recordings. Not even in the early days of the game.

I will probably never understand, why this is a constant topic on the community. I think that is "subjective" for everyone. Fact is - you will never(!) have access "perfect" material.
zed999

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC092 June 2023 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by zed999 »

Mr Fox, I agree with you on down votes - horrible negativity, but "like" IMO would encourage people who are posting helpful tips to continue doing so. Otherwise, unless somebody quotes them to thank them, how would they know that perhaps 10 other people quietly appreciated the help? Perhaps this is why there isn't much. I enjoy being helpful in life generally, but if I didn't get any feedback I wouldn't have a clue how much it was appreciated and most likely would not continue to do it, it takes time after all. I have 50,000 likes on another site (not music related), all from offering helpful advice, it's encouraged me to carry on being helpful for sure. :smile:

Back to mixing discussions.... :phones:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I've moved the previous post from MC092, as this is a forum related topic.
zed999 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:29 CEST
Mr Fox, I agree with you on down votes - horrible negativity, but "like" IMO would encourage people who are posting helpful tips to continue doing so. Otherwise, unless somebody quotes them to thank them, how would they know that perhaps 10 other people quietly appreciated the help? Perhaps this is why there isn't much.

I actually know and tried a handful of forum extensions. All of them are a bit broken in some shape or form, and I am not looking for any "post rating" (like comparison) type add-ons. Furthermore, those extensions that would provide a comfortably way of what you're asking for, are discontinued.

I am sorry, but I have neither the skills, nor sufficient spare-time / patience to "make the add-on work", so I won't implement this request for the time being.

Please continue to use the normal means of interaction/thanking users. Like the @name "quick mention" feature. or quoting a post. Interaction has way more use than "collecting likes". If users do not interact otherwise, i you can't force them.
cpsmusic

Post by cpsmusic »

Hi All,

I have a couple of suggestions for the website - ignore them if they're too difficult to implement however I think that some might find them helpful.

Firstly, could we have a countdown clock on the front page for the second/third rounds.

Secondly, could the link to the current challenge remain on the front page until the challenge is completed.

Cheers,

Chris
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Interesting and valid feature requests. :thinking:

One of the requests is easy to pull off. The other, not so much (as this would need a complete re-code of certain sections). I will look into what's possible, but won't make any promises. (especially within a timely manner)