this particular poll is a simple yes/no question:
Are you interested in fixed thematic months for the Songwriting Competition?
As you are probably aware, I am running monthly statistics for all games on the Mix Challenge audio community, and also note down what themes and genres we've had. You can find those for example via the following link through the main homepage:
Statistics / Songwriting Competition
With the change of the overall game mechanics and therefore making the game more accessible than ever (starting August 2020), we also saw more participation in general. However, throughout the years, I could see a certain trend in terms of participation and interest in genres. Well, if I managed to find the right month for a certain game that is (Summer months have always been low on participation).
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, things shifted towards a desire to do more "relaxed" stuff rather than sophisticated/complicated content. But overall, I saw an interest in certain thematic games. Like... create a soundtrack for a fictional video game, create an electronic music track, experiment with certain tools as starting point, then build upon that.
Did you know, that we actually have two set "thematic months" for the Songwriting Competition, since Fall 2018?
- January: Community Scramble (Special Sound Design Challenge)
- September: Mental Health Awareness Month
With a constant eye on our current world situation, how many participants joined in recent months, what genre seems to work best... I'm not going to lie. The longer the Songwriting Competition is running, the harder it is for me to find suitable themes and genres to tackle and to keep participants enganged. I did port the occasional genre/theme requests, yet then there was barely any participation in return, which was also quite frustrating. I once also tried offering themes and genres up to three months in advance, yet barely anybody joined either. In fact, I was asked to "keep things secretive until the very last minute", to provide a certain surprise factor.
The lines are quite thin, and things might drastically backfire (happened a lot even). However, considering a recurrence of certain fixed thematic months could offer me better options in terms of setting things up, as I can plan certain things a bit more in advance.
I am currently considering the following (list is a work-in-progress)
- January: Community Scramble (Special Sound Design Challenge), genre: free to select
- Spring (March) or Summer (August): Video Game Soundtrack, genre: depending on the premise
- April or May: Music/Trade Show Event related (e.g. Musikmesse and/or Superbooth), genre: electronic based
- Early Summer (June/July): "Limited Tools/Special Task Challenge" (think "AI enhanced composing" from June 2019, or maybe even "Make a salsa track with these train horn samples"), genre: depending on the premise
- September: Mental Health Awareness Month, genre: usually "free to select"
- October: Story Time (because Fall and/or Halloween), genre: depending on the premise, but usually soundtrack based
Please keep in mind, nothing is set in stone yet. For example, notice that there is no "Pop Music" or the infamous "Metal November" listed. I am merely tossing around ideas, in hope to find a more steady rhythm, and see more participation (I can only do so much promotion on other places).
This is where I'd love to gather some feedback from you. Not only if you're a regular at the Songwriting Competition, but also if you've been sitting on the fence.
Thank you for reading.
The poll will run until 24th April 2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST. You can cast one vote. You are able change your vote until that deadline