2020-OCT-21 Info: Thread updated, your feedback is still needed! Please join the conversion on overhauling the Bonus Point Mechanic for the Songwriting Competition

Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Ask us a question, give feedback, join surveys, make suggestions
Mister Fox
Site Admin

Feedback on Songwriting Competition rule set

Post by Mister Fox »

Let's start a conversation about the (new) Songwriting Competition rule set.

You can find that one in the Songwriting Competition sub-forum:
http://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=96

Please direct your thoughts, fears and feedback here.
Thanks for reading. :tu:

Jorgeelalto

Re: Feedback on Songwriting Competition rule set

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Yeah, so here it comes. A mix of little things I've found here and there, and discussion about some of the rules:

1 - Does the submitted material have to be mastered? Is there any limitation in that regard? Maybe a poor mastered track could sound a bit worse than a better mastered one, but in the arrangement matter, the first could be better than the second.

2 - Is the mixing also considered within the voting? I mean, you vote for the one which has the arrangement you enjoy the most? Or are the mixing and possible premaster also in consideration (it sounds better in general)? (almost the same as the former question, in fact :P)

3 - Umm, the votes from the challenge staff counting double than the others' votes? Please explain... :help:

The rules are good, not really excessive, and I think this will be one of the most open challenges here - you can do almost anything you could consider a "regular" song, so :tu:

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for the feedback (as usual)

Regarding 1 and 2:
No, there is no limitation on that behalf. The idea is not to create an outstanding mix/master, but a great song/production to begin with. So no worries on how you reach that goal. If a winning track might go into another challenge, then there will be a pre-setup (integrity check) period anyway.

Regarding 3:
Simple... No. 1 = 10tps for regular participants. For the staff (if they're involved) it would be No. 1 = (10pts x 2) = 20pts.

I'm personally undecided on this. On one end it could be used as solution to break a tie. On the other hand, it can result in more suspense during the voting period. The former would mean to vote after all others have posted their scoring. The latter should happen while all others vote as well. This could result in negative criticism though. Hence the request for feedback.

Jorgeelalto

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Mister Fox wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 18:59 CEST
Regarding 3:
Simple... No. 1 = 10tps for regular participants. For the staff (if they're involved) it would be No. 1 = (10pts x 2) = 20pts.

I'm personally undecided on this. On one end it could be used as solution to break a tie. On the other hand, it can result in more suspense during the voting period. The former would mean to vote after all others have posted their scoring. The latter should happen while all others vote as well. This could result in negative criticism though. Hence the request for feedback.
That was my question on the admin votes. Maybe it could be seen as some sort of "superior and infair" power? If the objective of that is to break a tie as you said, then with the regular 10pt for the admin votes are OK, if both tied tracks have 75 points, then after the admin voting 85 > 75, so even with just 1pt for the admin vote it would break a tie. Also, the 10pts will create less suspense than 20pt: if the winning track has 75pt and the second most voted has 60pt, 20pt from the admin to the second track would be decisive, whereas 10pt wouldn't. In some situations, 10pt could also mean the second position passing the first (60 vs 55pt, for example), but it would be less frequent. Just my 2C.

Regards,

Jorge

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I did think about this since I posted yesterday. I think I'll drop that part of the rule. It would indeed only result in an unfair advantage. Especially since the challenge is open for everybody. And in case the staff (current existing and possible future staff) joins as well, then they can shift the outcome drastically.

So I think it is indeed the best route is to drop that and adhere to the following
  • every participant must vote, else: disqualification
  • no outside voters to prevent a result manipulation
  • equal scoring for all participants

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Post by Mister Fox »

Want to talk about the Songwriting Competition in general?

What are your fears/concerns? What would you like to see?
Did you enjoy the last Competition? Did something bother you?
Do you have any suggestions?

Please type away :tu:

kc23

Post by kc23 »

Hello Mister Fox

Got a question about this:

Rules for participants of the Songwriting Challenge

Rule set for mix participants

4th bullet: "Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest (or, if a cover, then arranged/recorded specifically for this contest)"

8th bullet: "Every submission has to be properly tagged/documented with: used instruments/sample sets, players' and singers' (especially collaborations!), name of the composer (if entry is a cover version, please also add that info to the ID tag of the audio file!)."

Does this mean one can enter a songwriting competition by doing a cover?

Or in what cases does this specifically applies?

Thanks!

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

That's a good question actually...

The idea is that you create something for the particular challenge in question. However, if you started months ago already, and finish it "now", I have no chance to find that out.

Just... submit and we see where this will take us. :)

Other than that, I answered your PM.

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

There has been a valid question brought up in the SWC01 thread.

:?: Summed up:
"We're a team of frequent collaborators. The rule set states that only one collaboration is allowed. But you have such a creative output that we'd like to submit our creations regardless and join the competition. Is that possible?!"

As mentioned over in the competition thread, I thought about this and I think a rule set change is in order. So let's discuss it in here (which this thread was about in the first place).

:arrow: The current rule set is the following:
http://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=713#p713
Official rule set, as of September 2017 wrote:
  • Important: One person can participate either with one entry, or with one entry and one collaborative effort, or with two collaborative efforts. It's either/or. Only one entry per participant!

:!: I think a fair change for SWC01 still, and all follow up Competition, would be the following:

Participant Rules:
  • if you have a huge creative output, you can collaborate as often as you feel like
  • in case of collaborations, no multiple entries of the same song - each song has to be individual and stand on it's own
Winner Rules:
  • only the main songwriter of the production can be declared "winner" and therefore only he/she can select licenses

Basically, the updated rules would be this (new additions/changes in red):
Participation Rules wrote:Rule set for participants
  • Each Songwriting Competition will have a theme. Please stick to the theme given in each corresponding challenge thread
  • Production shall ideally not exceed 10 minutes. A good practice is to try to shoot between 3 and 6 minutes of run time (unless otherwise stated)
  • Do not create productions shorter than 1:30 minutes (think TV openings/endings), see previous point for ideal length of production (unless otherwise stated)
  • REWORDED RULE: Your entry must be composed / finished specifically for this contest (or, if a new/revised version from an old production of yours, then arranged/recorded specifically for this contest) - Your production could have started weeks ago already. As long as it's finished/presented for the Songwriting Competition in question only
  • Your entry can be created with any tool at your disposal. No limit on samples, instruments and effects (unless otherwise stated). The final result must be provided in digital form (WAV or MP3 usually) however.
  • It is recommended to not go higher than -14LUFS SLk (avg) or K-12v1 (avg) in terms of perceived loudness
  • REWORDED RULE: Important: One person can participate with either one entry, or with one entry and/or (if the creative output is that high) multiple collaborative efforts. However, only one main entry per participant - no multiple entries of the same song/production!
  • Every submission has to be properly tagged/documented with: used instruments/sample sets, players' and singers' (especially collaborations!), name of the composer (please also add that info to the ID tag of the audio file!), etc
  • if you've used Creative Commons material, please read and follow the license of the content you use.
  • RULE ADDITION: Please no cover version / rearrangement / remix from somebody else (like a popular chart release). If in doubt, contact the Mix Challenge staff
  • Please only use tools you are legally entitled to use
  • No resubmissions without permission from the challenge staff, including run-time corrections. Your entry is final!

Winner Rules wrote: General rules
  • people allowed to win are participants of the Songwriting Competition that sent in a track
  • the winners of the challenge(s) are declared by popular vote (see voting rules)
  • the three winners of the competition can choose from the available content by the sponsors. First come, first serve.
  • RULE ADDITION: Only the main songwriter (the person that submitted the production) can select licenses. If there are collaborators involved, the main songwriter has to clear the "license question" himself/herself
  • Since we have several sponsors for this challenge, the first winner has the first pick, the second winner can choose from what is left available in the pool, etc.
  • Price distribution will be cleared/handled in public in the thread of the corresponding challenge
  • If you happen to be among the top spots but don't want to pick a license, the next winner in line can pick up what's left in the pool. You are not forced to pick up anything

Please discuss! :tu:

MOA22
Backer

Post by MOA22 »

I am in, and i must admit that my mix is not as good as i wanted, but my ears are bleeding, need a rest. Too much to do in to few time...