2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Ask us a question, give feedback, join surveys, make suggestions
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Post by Mister Fox »

Yes, there are more "signs" or "ranks".
Most of that, is to give an easier overview as to whom you're talking to on the community.

:arrow_right: For example:

I as admin / staff hold the "Staff" rank

Mix Challenge Song Providers/Clients get the "Song Provider" role for the course of the game in question.

Wild Card users (for the Mix Challenge) either have the ranks "Wild Card x1" or "Wild Card X2", as indication who already used that mechanic. Every user on the community has 2 wild cards.

Backers (Patreon, PayPal, other financial support, etc) get the "Backer" status, and sometimes early access to posts or new planned community features.

I technically set up ranks for more, but this is the important stuff.
Arelem

Re: Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Post by Arelem »

Is the -14LUFS target on the songwriting competition really necessary or even beneficial? Here is a good thread on the topic with some pretty good discourse in the comments: https://www.reddit.com/r/mixingmasterin ... t_14_lufs/

I don't know if I'm the only one who sometimes has an issue with the LUFS target, but I am a firm believer in 'if it sounds good, it sounds good'. I don't personally see much benefit in setting a somewhat arbitrary limit such as this. Also, the vast majority of popular music is mixed beyond -14. Some examples given of songs louder than the 'standard':
Daft Punk - Beyond: -11,7 LUFSi
Leave the Door Open - Bruno Mars: -11,1 LUFSi
Katatonia - The Winter of Our Passing: -11,2 LUFSi
Tool - Pneuma: -12,1 LUFSi
Tycho - Outer Sunset: -10,9 LUFSi

As you can see, that list includes various different genres so this isn't unique to a specific one. I wouldn't consider these tracks to be squashed or lacking in dynamics either.

With that being said, what is yall's take on it?
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

Hi, on a few occasions in the past few years I have been asked to complete the work on the current song, as some of the fellow contestants have found certain qualities. I think I remember that it concerns partly my SWC033 contribution (called Dr Andrew / Call the doctor) and possibly also the song from August 2023: Get a Grip (SWC072).

In any case, I am currently redoing those songs, with a vocalist other than myself and with professional studio engineering.

Question: is there any appropriate way to republish these two songs here on Mix-Challenge? If so how/where? A link posted in the big 072 thread will probably not be noticed by anyone, and this will probably apply to an even greater degree for the 033 competition. If so, is it better to link to the songs here in the gossip thread?

So far, only G_a_G exists in a new version that is completely(?) finished. And as for that song I also have some questions regarding the final mix, which is exactly -1 in True Peak but has LUFS(i) which is around -12.2 (the guy who mixed said that this is preferable even though Tidal, Spotify etc. want have Lufs(i) max -14.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 22:48 CET
Question: is there any appropriate way to republish these two songs here on Mix-Challenge? If so how/where? A link posted in the big 072 thread will probably not be noticed by anyone, and this will probably apply to an even greater degree for the 033 competition. If so, is it better to link to the songs here in the gossip thread?
Since I flush the "General Gossip" threads on a regular basis, and in fact will change some things in the foreseeable future, this might not be the best route to go. I guess a follow-up would be in the thread in question... if your old songs are still listed there as well. Bar minimum, your documentation and the feedback is. So that would be a proper follow-up.

A Future in Noise wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 22:48 CET
So far, only G_a_G exists in a new version that is completely(?) finished. And as for that song I also have some questions regarding the final mix, which is exactly -1 in True Peak but has LUFS(i) which is around -12.2 (the guy who mixed said that this is preferable even though Tidal, Spotify etc. want have Lufs(i) max -14.
Ah, the infamous "preferable" commentary, because <Internet Tutorial ABC> said so, and because "the music will be loudness normalized anyway".

-12 LUFS ILk is still "reasonable". I recently posted about this in a Mix Challenge thread, and had a longer discussion on Discord. Your release would be outside of any competition. Technically you can do whatever you feel like loudness wise.