2021-JUN-01 Info: Celebrate Mix Challenge's 7th Anniversary with us!

Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Ask us a question, give feedback, join surveys, make suggestions
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Post by Mister Fox »

If you changed the settings while analyzing, the meter considers this as "slowly changing program" and you might not see a drastic shift or any shifts at all.

If you changed the settings, stopped the playback, reset the meter for a fresh analysis and then tried it again, the LUFS value should also shift.

A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

Mister Fox wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 17:25 CET
If you changed the settings while analyzing, the meter considers this as "slowly changing program" and you might not see a drastic shift or any shifts at all.

If you changed the settings, stopped the playback, reset the meter for a fresh analysis and then tried it again, the LUFS value should also shift.
Of course I did not change the settings while analizing. Of course i did reset. When I have got time enough, I will probably try to investigate what happens if I use some other plugins that can measure loudness.

The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 19:31 CET
Mister Fox wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 17:25 CET

Of course I did not change the settings while analizing. Of course i did reset. When I have got time enough, I will probably try to investigate what happens if I use some other plugins that can measure loudness.
Unless you did something funny with the routing, this is theoretically impossible. If you reduced the gain by say 1dB, Youlean or any loudness meter can not display the same LUFS. Unless ofcourse if the source is just silence.

DSPplug

Post by DSPplug »

Hello. For My entry I provided an MP3 and a Wav file. Obviously, a wav file is the ideal medium to download, judge by and test; yet, the mp3 is small enough for those who use phones that are in slower zones or for those with slower isp's/hubs.

I hope this ok, I could always remove the mp3 but this is how it has been done in other competitions and I felt it was forward thinking. Please if you would, let Me know if I was right in that thinking. I will say, in My experience at KVR, there has been times where I tried to listen to a wav and it just kept cutting out as it played, and sometimes the same can be said for soundcloud.

Obviously, this is really not an ideal circumstance and yet these circumstances are common.
Robert

Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Posting MP3s is fine for the Songwriting Competition.

The files must be downloadable for the very purpose you've mentioned though, in case of "streaming issues".

A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

Hello,

I'm not sure if these thoughts belong to the gossip section. Anyway: I quite often participate in the songwriting competitions. The whole idea (or at least a significant part of it) is to compete. Nevertheless I sometimes wonder if it would be possible to collaborate with one (or some) of the other participants, that regularly post their entries? (That is: the guys whose entries I enjoy listening to and the (same?) guys who sometimes hear the qualities that quite seldom – but yet not never – occur in my modest attempts to compose music.)

I have twice been a member of the Kompoz community. I have had to quit twice, because they cannot handle the payment issues. Not that large amounts of money have been withdrawn from my account for no reason at all. But even §10 is too much. And their service desk never replies to messages I send to them. Does anybody know of an Internet forum where people collaborate (that is: the musicians) with no money involved? I once asked the vocal students at the Royal Academy of Music in Stockholm if somebody of them could be interested in adding vocals. The only guy who answered wanted a huge sum of money. And he wasn't even good!

But during the first period of my first Kompoz membership, I found a real good male singer. And of course – he did the job for free. (If anybody is interested: this is the result: https://soundcloud.com/user-393341653/i-know . There are thousands of details that should be edited, but still this one of my best songs, so far (IMO).

And by the way (this is an inside brackets question): How come no girls/ladies/women participate? Of course: since nick names almost always are used, you cannot really know who is behind that nickname. But I have a feeling that everyone in the Mix-Challenge community are men?

OK, I'm in a café. They are closing now, so this was finished in a hurry.

Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Apologies for not answering sooner.

A Future in Noise wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 17:40 CEST
I'm not sure if these thoughts belong to the gossip section. Anyway: I quite often participate in the songwriting competitions. The whole idea (or at least a significant part of it) is to compete. Nevertheless I sometimes wonder if it would be possible to collaborate with one (or some) of the other participants, that regularly post their entries? (That is: the guys whose entries I enjoy listening to and the (same?) guys who sometimes hear the qualities that quite seldom – but yet not never – occur in my modest attempts to compose music.)
Of course you can collaborate with anybody on the forum. I never set any roadblocks on that behalf. Check in with the Rule Book (post #6), specifically the 4th bullet point.

Your comments on KOMPOZ actually surprised me. I always thought this was a free community for collaboration, not a paid system. Guess I just learned something new.

I don't think either the Mix(ing) Challenge or the Songwriting Competition will be "pay-walled" anytime soon. I don't even see a way how to pull this off in such a way that doesn't leave anybody behind all of a sudden- so no worries here. I recommend to reach out to other participants, find a common ground on collaborating, work an the material behind the scenes, then release your material.

On the other hand, if you rather look for something that is not "game related", there is nothing definite set up for that yet(!). I have many notes on my desk with ideas and "things to do" for this page. Who knows what will happen in the future. This is all I can say for the time being.

A Future in Noise wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 17:40 CEST
And by the way (this is an inside brackets question): How come no girls/ladies/women participate? Of course: since nick names almost always are used, you cannot really know who is behind that nickname. But I have a feeling that everyone in the Mix-Challenge community are men?
While this is true that the audio realm is more male-dominated overall, I can definitely assure you that our community is as diverse as it can get.

There are way for phpbb to make that particular topic more apparent (and visual). However, I'd rather not open any possible can of worms. Instead, I just want to keep the community as welcoming, neutral and as open minded as possible for everyone. Be who you are / want to be, don't be judged by an icon on your user account. :hug:

If your curiosity gets the better of you, maybe just reach out to the person in question with a private message. :gotidea: