2021-MAY-06 Info: Want to have fun and just make some music? Check out Songwriting Competition 045.

Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Ask us a question, give feedback, join surveys, make suggestions
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Post by Mister Fox »

Then let's try the spoiler-type "hidden vote" mechanic next month.

I just need to make that more clear in the rule set and announce it. Might be to much on short notice for the newsletter on the 1st. But since this has no influence on the overall game, only after the game has ended, we should be fine.

Still leaves the question with the upper limit of votes and feedback in the scenario of exponential growth (which I hope for this year)

Los_ady

Post by Los_ady »

Hey everyone,

I have an idea for a future songwriting challenge, what do you think about this:

Spring starts, the first warm days and people go finally out after 4 months coldness

You feel great and your life partner (let's say 10 years together) invites you for a drink.

During this drink your partner quits the relationship because of unclear reasons ;)

Try to create a song that reflects the feelings and up and downs and catch the mood !

(likewise the same feeling when you have SSL Console and it breaks in the hottest moment of production :D )

Let me know what you think !

Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

This would actually belong in here, but it's noted. I do already have a rough plan for the next 2-3 months, and I'm still contemplating of whether or not "Mental Health Awareness Month" will be a fixed thing like the "Community Scramble" in January.

Overall, it's hard to find a balance of depressing topics vs upbeat stuff. I'd like to make the games interesting for everyone and not run into something like June 2018/Fête de la Musique (Festival of Music), where sadly nobody joined. But please, do post ideas in this linked thread, and who knows what will happen out of that in the future.

Other than that, please let's continue the conversation from page 11 :
 ⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
If we're exceeding 10 participants per month (which I really hope), which type of voting would you like to see, or which would you think is the most fair?
  • Do you want to keep the Top 10 entries?
  • Do you want a "ranking by all participants", even if there might be more than 25 entries at some point down the road?
Giving feedback to all entries is still mandatory. Although that could change if we exceed a certain amount of entries (let's go with a set 25 again)
By "ranking all participants", I didn't mean the proposed 6-point ranking per participant. But more like: if we have 20 participants, then a top 20. Keep things simple! The upper limit I'd currently set for a ranking: is 25 participants. We're still far from that, but you'll never know.

Everyone deserves feedback though. And I'll stand my ground on "not giving feedback results in disqualification" (and some of that feedback could really be more than just bullet points!). So that is a tricky question in terms of "how to handle this" as well. Especially if we exceed 25 participants.

:arrow: So let us please focus on the essentials:
 ⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
  • To compromise for getting a "semi hidden vote" system Instead of the current way of handling, I propose to use the spoiler tag (orange triangle button with ! in it) to hide them from initial view
  • Should we change the currently existing top 10 to a "Top <nr of participants joined>" ranking so that everyone gets points?
  • if we exceed 25 participants, shall both the feedback and voting be limited to the top 25 entries (alternatively 20 entries)?

idmaik

Post by idmaik »

Hello,

My name is "Maik" and I am from Germany. So, my English is not so fine. It is because I did not understand where to upload my song for the "SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC024 August 2019 - Elevator Pitch"! Where do I have to upload my track?

Greets...
Maik

Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I'm answering this one in German real quick.

idmaik wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 08:30 CEST
My name is "Maik" and I am from Germany. So, my English is not so fine. It is because I did not understand where to upload my song for the "SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC024 August 2019 - Elevator Pitch"! Where do I have to upload my track?
Zusammengefasst:

Wenn du mit der Produktion fertig bist, einfach auf einen Server deiner Wahl hochladen. Sei es dein eigener, oder via DropBox, Google Drive, SoundCloud, etc. Solange die Datei länger als 30 Tage verfügbar, und herunterladbar ist.

Dann einfach im SWC024 Thread verlinken. Entweder via den URL tags:

Code: Select all

[url]<filename>[/url]
Oder im Falle von SoundCloud via der SoundCloud Player Funktion vom Forum.

Code: Select all

[soundcloud]<link to SoundCloud song[/soundcloud]

Bitte nicht vergessen - eine minimale Dokumentation (siehe andere Songwriting Competitions), dann bis zum 25. des Monats warten, bis der Bewertungs- und Abstimmungs-Prozess (feedback and voting) beginnt.

Hoffe das hilft erst mal weiter.

becsei_gyorgy

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC030 February 2020 - Submissions until 24-02-2020 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 13:43 CET
Just a heads up - every follow up post will be pulled into Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread.
The Exponent wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 06:06 CET
...But having those votes visible to other voters during the voting process is not fair in my opinion, it has the potential for a lot of voting politics. The spoiler block doesn't do much to overcome this honestly.
I get that this is a constant concern for you. However, I've been on many forums where "open voting" is a regular game mechanic (often a lot of these forums also allow "votes from non-participants", which opens doors for manipulation). And since we introduced the "spoiler tags" rule, I've barely seen votes in favor but rather honest opinion and suitable ranking. In fact, the "spoiler tag" mechanic helped shift the focus on more feedback. Now since we see recurring participants (the regulars), that might look like bias at some point. But so far, I didn't see that.

Everything else was indeed explained in minute detail here.

Let us please get back to the game. Thank you.
Although I'm not here long ago, but I support Exponent's view that we should split the vote and the feedback mechanism.
At the same time as giving feedback, everyone sends their votes to Mister Fox as a private message (e.g. with subject "Votes SWCXXX").
Mr Fox summarizes the votes as usual, then after the deadline, publish in the regular spreadsheet.

Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

The topic has been explained in detail in the following post (page 11)

viewtopic.php?p=4146#p4146

Clueless

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC030 February 2020 - Submissions until 24-02-2020 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Clueless »

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 16:28 CET
Mister Fox wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 13:43 CET
Just a heads up - every follow up post will be pulled into Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread.
The Exponent wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 06:06 CET
...But having those votes visible to other voters during the voting process is not fair in my opinion, it has the potential for a lot of voting politics. The spoiler block doesn't do much to overcome this honestly.
I get that this is a constant concern for you. However, I've been on many forums where "open voting" is a regular game mechanic (often a lot of these forums also allow "votes from non-participants", which opens doors for manipulation). And since we introduced the "spoiler tags" rule, I've barely seen votes in favor but rather honest opinion and suitable ranking. In fact, the "spoiler tag" mechanic helped shift the focus on more feedback. Now since we see recurring participants (the regulars), that might look like bias at some point. But so far, I didn't see that.

Everything else was indeed explained in minute detail here.

Let us please get back to the game. Thank you.
Although I'm not here long ago, but I support Exponent's view that we should split the vote and the feedback mechanism.
At the same time as giving feedback, everyone sends their votes to Mister Fox as a private message (e.g. with subject "Votes SWCXXX").
Mr Fox summarizes the votes as usual, then after the deadline, publish in the regular spreadsheet.
I hadn't seen any problems with the system, if people choose to vote this way or that, it will still come through no?

Anyway, tis a shame that more people didn't show for sw030 :(

Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I would slowly like to know the reasons for the lack of participation as well.

It's not like the rules are super difficult (albeit, the main game thread can be a bit more simplified). And I usually put 2 days into writing a good premise and sourcing audio examples, so that everyone is on the same page.

Maybe I should just not do that anymore? :thinking:

Clueless

Post by Clueless »

@Mister Fox

Can only think that its a controlled format, a lot of people seem to want to make music, just not in a certain way.
Many have a genre that they like to make, and, asking them to create something in a style they are unfamiliar or not interested in makes them less Keen to participate. Maybe, as in previous SW challenge, an idea, rather than a fixed style might help.. Love, could have been interpreted in EDM, DnB, House, Rock, Reggae, classical, jazz etc etc
Possibly a simplified format,
Game music - multiple genres covered
Love/Hate
Seasons
Events - Moon landing/Space theme/ War
Film score - many free out of copyright, if people know where to look
Interpret a Picture of something
Using something like https://freesound.org/ all sample must come from here, bit like community scramble.

These are just a few ideas :)

Hopefully others will chip in .....