2019-06-15 Info: Happy 5th Anniversary, Mix Challenge. Join the celebration in this news post

Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Ask us a question, give feedback, make suggesions
Tbase2000
Banned user
Banned user
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:38 am

Re: Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Post by Tbase2000 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:00 am

Never know...somebody might cruise the SWC archives someday. Who wants to be remembered by a bad mix? I don't. Probably still a bad mix though. :evil:

User avatar
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:15 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Post by Mister Fox » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:24 pm

The next answer from you will depend in whether or not I'll finally boot you off the forum.

I think you've made your point, put it more than across every single time you write your rants. As "boss" of this place, I have to have a lookout for the community, know what's best for it as a whole. I've ported your "requests" (all of them), 6 months later the game still struggles with sub-5 participants.

I am plain downright sick of your commentary. So sick even, that I do not want to visit my own homepage (no joke! Else I would have responded sooner). In fact, I'm also getting PMs now with criticism about/towards you.

 ⚠ Warning Message from Mister Fox  
I am now issuing a final warning for user Tbase2000 - your account is/your access rights are in jeopardy
I was more than patient - I've had enough.




Tbase2000 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:58 am
Beeble posted and gave a good write-up. I was just being supportive by posting feedback. Did you vote on my mix? No...so what are you talking about?
I did not vote on your mix indeed - because I didn't have to. I voted on the mix you were part of (collaboration). So the person that "kicked off" the production, and is the main submitting participant will get the vote - it's as simple as that.

You did not submit an own production. My job as "balance vote" is to only comment on the officially submitted material. Everything else is where I have to put away time. So if you want feedback (not a vote!) from me as well, that would count as bonus.



Tbase2000 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:58 am
I didn't like the mix that was submitted and nobody could hear my bass...so as a final mix and something to be remembered by...here is my take on the mix. Is that a problem to do that?
That's your prerogative. But you can not criticize me or other users for a lack of feedback if you're basically riding a bandwagon - because you didn't like the mix and votes you were put into. You criticized "the game" more than others. In fact, I still consider you to be the driving force for the current downward spiral.

You've got your chance for 5 minutes of fame with an own song - you blew it. End of story.



Tbase2000 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:58 am
While the people are still around, work on your mix and resubmit before the next SWC starts and your song gets forgotten.
Tbase2000 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:00 am
Never know...somebody might cruise the SWC archives someday. Who wants to be remembered by a bad mix? I don't. Probably still a bad mix though. :evil:
Simple solution - don't like the mix you collaborated on as musician only, create your own production (not a second/alternative mix!) and submit it.



Tbase2000 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:58 am
You can keep your feedback (fox) I know your busy.
How oh so very generous of you. :hail:
Thank you so much.
[warning - sarcasm]






:!: :!: :!: A final comment from me on this whole thing:

You more and more sound like a deeply offended person because of <reasons>, throwing a tantrum if things just don't go your way. Which in turn, ultimately destroys the fun for all other participants. I told you several times to massively tone it down. Now you're starting a ruckus in the Mix Challenge as well (see your negative comments on the lack of feedback for MC40).

If you feel like the "games" don't work like you feel they should, then maybe a different place might be more accommodating for you. I am not forcing you to stay on this community. And in fact, I'll keep my rights as CTO of this place to get things in line.


Your next move does decide the fate of your account.

Tbase2000
Banned user
Banned user
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:38 am

Re: Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Post by Tbase2000 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:08 pm

There wasn't any tantrum in that post. Read it again. No criticism either. Your either not reading correctly (translator issues) or making stuff up because you want there to be a conflict...but there isn't one this time. What's the point of feedback if you don't keep working on the song? Nope, never expected anyone to review my mix...just wanted it up there...maybe someone will hear it later.

Do what you feel you gotta do.

User avatar
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:15 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Post by Mister Fox » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Tbase2000 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:08 pm
There wasn't any tantrum in that post. Read it again. No criticism either. Your either not reading correctly (translator issues) or making stuff up because you want there to be a conflict...but there isn't one this time.
From what I read with your recent posts in this very thread yet again, you were against the new proposed rule because <reasons> (backed with commentary "because users post super late", "users don't give feedback" - and my favorite "it's been an issue since day 1", etc).



Tbase2000 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:08 pm
What's the point of feedback if you don't keep working on the song? Nope, never expected anyone to review my mix...just wanted it up there...maybe someone will hear it later.
You explicitly requested feedback and got annoyed after a while that you didn't get any (or rather barely any).

In the MC40 thread, you were also even annoyed that only "top 5 people" got into round 2 and no further feedback was given this month (which I didn't expect either, to be honest). I understand the annoyance in this case - you were a participant this month (in fact, you're one for MC41 as well). But the rules exist since 2014 and it's not like we only have <5 entries a month for the Mix Challenge.


So there - I checked my "translator issues" (I'm reading/writing/speaking English since the 90s - thank you). I think I understood you perfectly and I am not making "stuff up" because I "want there to be a conflict". Maybe you should check what you're actually writing and try not to blame others for once.

:hmmm:



Tbase2000 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:08 pm
Do what you feel you gotta do.
Image

Not sure if...

Tbase2000
Banned user
Banned user
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:38 am

Re: Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Post by Tbase2000 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Well...if I have an opinion I'm going to say it about a rule change. Are we doing Freedom of Speech here or not. Just say so. Nobody talks because they are scared to. I think your making a mistake. Did that hurt? No...it's called dialog. I posted my mix in the SWC and took it down once because I didn't want to rock the boat...but it pissed me off that the mix was not what I thought was being submitted and got hammered by everyone. Here's a different mix that showcases my bass that I worked on for 3 weeks and my personal representation of the song (without all the issues). There were 3 songs this month...is one more that much to listen too? If any of the others had posted a mix after the feedback I would have listened to it and commented...why...not for a favor but because it interests me. Did you make it any better? I get it...seems like I'm on a blacklist but I'm not going anywhere. I'll keep showing up and if you ever get an audience you might find some other people have a difference in opinion with how you vote and what your criteria are. I post my music because it feels good to finish a project and put it out there. If nobody likes it...oh well. As to the MC issue. Yes there were 24 entries this month and he commented...late...on only 5-7. Who better to point that out than me? You sound like you also think they were the only ones that mattered to make it to round 2. It was insulting that he made the reference the ones he chose were so much better and he didn't want to waste anyone's time. A review of 10 people doesn't mean that all 10 have to go to the 2nd round...but it does show the other 14 that got nothing that you actually listened to some. It's not that much to ask and I told you about it before. When you get that many people showing up...your going to get complaints from people who didn't get feedback. I could honestly care less about my mix personally....but since I'm the only one who isn't scared to talk directly to you...I will voice my opinion. Maybe someone else who feels left out of the game can relate. Ask them. Post a question and ask how the 14 people who didn't get any feedback feel about the challenge and what they think could be improved... Or don't.

Just in case: https://translate.google.com/

Tbase2000
Banned user
Banned user
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:38 am

Re: Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Post by Tbase2000 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:44 pm

I'm curious...have you ever checked the website Log files to see how many unique clicks our submissions have in the Song Challenge...just a guess way to see if anyone is even listening at all. I know the community doesn't post in the challenge...just curious if they are listening to the music at all.

User avatar
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:15 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Post by Mister Fox » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:33 am

 ⚠ Warning Message from Mister Fox  
I am hereby issuing a permanent ban to the user Tbase2000 and his linked mail address.

The user has been warned several times at this point to not continue this behavior. The warnings were ignored - in fact, the response was constantly portrayed to be "against free speech" and me (the CTO of this place) having a lack of understanding/translation issues (pushing blame on to others). I've been patient for months... that was the last straw that broke the camels back.

The user in question...
  • ...is now permanently banned from this webpage
  • ...is not allowed to sign up under another name or with another mail address - violating this will result in another ban - worst cast scenario even an IP ban (which can affect other users, so I'd rather not)
  • ...can not appeal his status until April 2019 bar minimum. Every mail, Tweet or Facebook post will be ignored/deleted without warning
  • ...can still collaborate with other musicians in the Songwriting Competition or Remix Challenge, but he's not allowed to participate in any other form, neither will he have the chance to pick up a free license
  • ...is not allowed to be a client/song provider

I will be less tolerant to such behavior in the future! My personal health and a relaxed/friendly community is more important than this



To close this out:
Tbase2000 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 pm
...Are we doing Freedom of Speech here or not. Just say so. Nobody talks because they are scared to. I think your making a mistake. Did that hurt? No...it's called dialog.
Users don't respond due to two main things:
a) they're intimidated by users like you (therefore, a dialogue is impossible)
b) they don't have/want an opinion and are happy with whatever change is happening for/to/with the community

Now that this has been sorted out, I do hope the conversation does spark up again, same with the participation.



Tbase2000 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 pm
There were 3 songs this month...is one more that much to listen too? If any of the others had posted a mix after the feedback I would have listened to it and commented...why...not for a favor but because it interests me.
Nobody is forced to give feedback outside of the challenges. There have been dedicated threads for "after-the-challenge" submissions (as requested by you), you didn't use them.

There is no dedicated sub-forum for "show your own creations" yet.



Tbase2000 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 pm
Did you make it any better? I get it...seems like I'm on a blacklist but I'm not going anywhere. I'll keep showing up and if you ever get an audience you might find some other people have a difference in opinion with how you vote and what your criteria are.
Criticism and feedback good and fine, but it's the the way you word things. And you have been very, very abrasive right from the start (see: "you're doing it wrong", ported features you requested, rule changes, etc).

Other than that - there is no "blacklist" - I've made clear why I did not(!) give feedback, and why I'm not compelled to do so. I am the "boss" of this place after all.



Tbase2000 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 pm
As to the MC issue. Yes there were 24 entries this month and he commented...late...on only 5-7. Who better to point that out than me? You sound like you also think they were the only ones that mattered to make it to round 2.
That's the ultimate point of the Mix Challenge! It's part of the Rules and Guidelines since 2014



Tbase2000 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 pm
It was insulting that he made the reference the ones he chose were so much better and he didn't want to waste anyone's time. A review of 10 people doesn't mean that all 10 have to go to the 2nd round...but it does show the other 14 that got nothing that you actually listened to some. It's not that much to ask and I told you about it before. When you get that many people showing up...your going to get complaints from people who didn't get feedback.
I'm terribly sorry that you have been disappointied with this (or rather, felt being insulted). But again, see Rules and Guidelines of the Mix Challenge. People can still ask for feedback - but it's down to the "client" if he/she does have the time to do so.



Tbase2000 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 pm
but since I'm the only one who isn't scared to talk directly to you...I will voice my opinion. Maybe someone else who feels left out of the game can relate. Ask them. Post a question and ask how the 14 people who didn't get any feedback feel about the challenge and what they think could be improved... Or don't.
This is what the Gossip thread is for (to give feedback). Considering the participation amount (see statistics), I can't rule out any possible disappointment, yet I definitely don't see a mass exodus of participants (unlike the Songwriting Competition).

Actually it's the other way around (upwards trend). Even if the feedback is limited to the participants that will be going into Round 2 only, people get way more interaction than at other competition pages.



Tbase2000 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 pm
Just in case: https://translate.google.com/
That comment was uncalled for an has been continuously insulting. I've been reading/writing/speaking English for over 20 years at this point. So despite your grammar (your vs you're, etc) and text formatting issues, I understood you loud and clear, and I also clearly saw that you pushed the blame away on to others.

You have been warned about this, you continued playing the "victim" and "language barrier" card - this is why you've been permanently banned now.



Tbase2000 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:44 pm
I'm curious...have you ever checked the website Log files to see how many unique clicks our submissions have in the Song Challenge...just a guess way to see if anyone is even listening at all. I know the community doesn't post in the challenge...just curious if they are listening to the music at all.
I don't monitor remote links on this forum in-depth (also due to new EU laws regarding homepages). But looking at the "thread views" over time, the threads don't just stagnate. People seem to browse the place and listen to the material. This might also be due to the hot-linking to the first post of the thread from the landing page, which also has a cross-link to the collected submissions of the challenge in question.

If you withdrew your content (due to <reasons>) - then you ultimately lost your chance to get heard. So this is nothing I have influence over, neither is it of bigger concern for me at the moment.

You've not been happy with that - I'm sorry. But maybe you'll find a better place somewhere else now.




[/end of line]

User avatar
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:15 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Post by Mister Fox » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:42 am

To get back on topic - I propose the following changes, starting with SWC007:
Suggested Guidelines Overhaul wrote:
...
  • POSSIBLE REMOVAL - if there are less than four (number: 4) participants, the Mix Challenge community staff will step in with additional feedback and a vote. The vote will have the same value (no modifiers) than a regular participant. This is to add a bit more balance to the votes, especially if the participants collaborated in some form with each other
  • The ranking will ultimately be summed together and will result in a numeric score. The top three highest scores declare the winners podium
  • NEW RULE ADDITION - if there are equal or less than seven (number: 7) participants in the current running game, there will only be a single winner (declared by highest score)
  • In the case of equal scores after voting, entries will be separated how many 10 points (i.e. how many No 1 votes) they received. Should they match up, then the next lower number will be counted. Unless one entry has higher votes.
...


The rest of the rule set will stay the same. I do consider to (temporarily) remove the "vote balance" rule for sub 4 participants . I usually try to handle this first-thing post SWC - but this is currently eating a lot of my very limited spare time.

The "Rules and Guidelines" thread will be updated with this change/addition by Sunday, 18th March - 7 days prior to the end of SWC07.

More feedback welcome - the major change (new rule add-on) has sadly been overlooked for the last newsletter. I apologize for the inconvenience.

FixInTheMix
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Post by FixInTheMix » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:01 am

Cheers to you Fox for finally kicking Tbase out, he was given way more chances than anyone deserves and still didn´t learn a thing.

The changes on the rule set seems fitting to me aswell, hope I can participate this month, I´ve been really absent during january and left a bunch of songs half baked.

User avatar
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:15 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Post by Mister Fox » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:04 am

I think the main thing to discuss right now, is whether or not to lower the threshold of participants that will trigger "one sole winner" or the "winners podium".

:arrow: We could go down to equal/less than 5 instead of equal/less than 7 in theory.


This is where your feedback (as forum user) comes in. I just don't want to turn this into a scenario where it's basically turning into handing out participation medals. I want the game to be challenging, yet rewarding. But I also have to keep the license sponsors in a good mood.

Please discuss/comment

Post Reply