2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC069 September 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
tobinth

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC069 September 2020 - Submissions until 21-09-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by tobinth »

Hi!
Thanks for another great song to mix.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xeqe-C ... sp=sharing

I tried to make a very natural mix with great warmth and air.

It was important for me to get a lot of energy out of all the drum tracks while making it sound as one, using saturation and parallel compression. It was a challenge agreeing to a balance of all the parts.
There are a lot of tracks with almost no inserts, but only low cut, maybe little eq - and then some more processing on the busses (Synths, Guitars etc.).
After some vocal editing and automation, I set up a pretty standard vocal chain for the leadvocals. I use waves doubler for the vocal double track, just to get it out of center and make it wider.

I mix into a pulteq (waves) for a little bit of a smile eq, and into a Vcomp for a maximum of -3db worth of compression during the louder parts, with a ratio of 1.5 - this adds a little bit of glue, I really like mixing into that.

It took me a while to handle the backing vocals at the end of the song, and I'm curious if my version goes into the right direction for the producer.

There is some automation going in the whole song, especially in the outro.

I hope you like what I did and I'm really looking forward to some feedback and all of the other mixes.

All the best!

Tobi
javiramallo

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC069 September 2020 - Submissions until 21-09-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by javiramallo »

Hi friends.

Really thanks to the band , to hjchjc. Also to Mr. Fox and the rest of MC staff if it exists. :wink:

To mix this song was a paranoid thing, yes!!
There are so many things sharing the same space, time and spectral zone that it has been a Mix Challenge really.

Hopefully the result will please hjchjc and the band in some way.

Greetings to all from Spain.

Here my MiX>>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dkfsSt ... sp=sharing

Here the explanatory video>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q5xGkd ... sp=sharing
dadomachado

Post by dadomachado »

Hi All,

I want to thank the band and MisterFox for setting this up. It was fun and challenging at the same time. Awesome track !

Follow my mix below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zzwxyajsz16q ... o.wav?dl=0

Some notes on my process:

* Started off just adjusting volumes and panning until I had a good starting point
* Added Slate VMR just with the Virtual Channel (Brit N) on all tracks to give it a vintage vibe
* Add SSL Compression one the master Buss to glue it up
* Did same EQ (FG-N) and Compression on Main Busses
* Uses Decapitor on the Percussion buss to give it some grit. Sent it to a light room reverb.
* Lead Vox: Some EQ using Pro-Q / vComp + PuigChild compression / Deeser with Pro-C. Sent it to a slap delay / Plates Reverb and sutil Delay (H-Delay)
* BG Vox: Similar to Lead Vox but less processing
* Bass: Some paralel distortion using Decapitator to give it some character

Cheers to everyone !

dadomachado
maxovrdrive

Post by maxovrdrive »

Thank you Fell From The Tree / Joshua Copperman for providing the song.

Here's my mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11KWJSB ... sp=sharing

Song provider indicated importance of low-end thickness and warmth; not sacrificing top end.

There are many elements overlapping, sharing the same sonic space, percussions competing rhythmically. It was challenging to create space for the elements to shine through.

With this in mind, the first order was to remove the 'veil' in the vocal and adding clarity without compromising thickness and warmth.

Balance - balance - balance!
Automation - automation - automation!

LEAD VOCALS GROUP - deesser, eq, compression, transformer emulation
- 3 individual lead vocal tracks - eq'd, deesser, compressor
- LEAD had a plate

HARMONIES and PARANOID GROUP - eq'd and added another room.
- HARMONY - eq'd added a room (1)
- PARANOID - eq'd added a room (2)

KEYS 1 GROUP - eq'd
- PAD 1
- PAD 2 - eq'd
- ORGAN - eq'd and added a leslie
- SPLITFIRE - eq's and added a chorus

KEYS 2 GROUP - eq'd
- PNO 1 - eq'd
- PNO 2 - eq'd
- EBOW - eq'd
- SPRING SYNTH - eq'd

GTR 3 GROUP - eq'd

GTR 1,2,4,5,6 GROUP - eq'd

ALL PERCS GROUP - compression for glue, eq, transformer
- some perc tracks were individually eq'd & compressed
- some parallel compression for punch used on some tracks

- 3 main perc tracks (MIDI DRM LOOP/ PERC MAIN/ PERC LOOP 2
- these 'main' perc tracks where eq'd, compressed, and parallel compressed... to achieve clarity and punch

BASS GROUP - compression and eq
- SLAP BASS had LoFi

MASTER BUS
- pultec type eq
- tape saturation
btongninja

Post by btongninja »

Hey again everyone! Ofc thanks to Fell From the Tree for submitting this song - lots of stuff going on here, lots of moments for creatiity.

Here's the mix:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfawkvh057u8y ... 1.wav?dl=0

A lot of this mix was getting everything cleaned up: scooping out 300-500 on most of the vocals to remove their boominess, clip gaining vocal levels to match as there are a ton of dynamics. Aimed for a sort of light-hearted Rostam/Vampire Weekend type of sound.
Since there are so many distinct parts, I automated a ton of things, bringing certain instruments in and out of center stage. Had some struggles balancing frequencies and making decisions on what needed to be cut, between the bass, vocals pads, and guitar layers, as they were all occupying the 500-1500 frequency range in important ways.

Corrective EQ + compression on nearly all individual tracks

LEAD VOX:

Main vocal: Fab Q > 1176 > LA2A > Little Plate
All vocals sent in small amounts to Valhalla Vintage Hall

OUTRO VOX:
Corrective EQ + compression +bandpass filtering on BGV
Pro-Q > Pro-C > Glue compressor

DRUMS:
Pro Q > LA 2a > Saturn

BASS:
Pro Q > Pro C > Saturn summing to mono

GTR:
Pro Q > Pro C > TAL Chorus

PADS:
Pro Q > Pro C

PROCESS:
1. Cleaned up: clip gained, fade ins/outs, organize tracks, volume levels in mono (Bottom up mix)
2. Tried something new: instead of doing individual track eq, I made group stems first (main vox, outro vox, bass, drums, gtr, pads) and applied eq (in mono) to make them all sit in relative positions, this definitely helped me remedy my mono mix curse
3. Added compression to give tightness and allow everything to sit better
4. Created reverb/delay sends and left mono for panning
5. Tons of automation!

Thanks again everyone :)
GUSWIS

Post by GUSWIS »

Hello friends, here is my mix, I hope you like it.
Greetings.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cs8is4jc2ho5x ... S.wav?dl=0

Mixed in Cubase, used equipment Urei1176, Urei7110, MBC4000 +, Furman LC-6, Aphex 651, Lexicon pcm92 & 70 to Rosetta 800 and cubase channel strips.

ImageImage

https://www.dropbox.com/s/euwl9p6ms51mt ... 0.png?dl=0
EchoOread

Post by EchoOread »

Thanks for the music! I enjoyed mixing it a lot.

EQ and compressor across all tracks.
Combined all percs into an aux and treated as stereo tracks
Combined all guitars into an aux and treated as stereo tracks
Some vocal have more delay than others to create space
I don't do anything other than just EQ some instruments out of other which are a bit more important (to me, that is), i.e. vocal, bass, snare, etc. Very little compression and on only some instruments (kick, bass, cowbell, etc)
I especially like the "reverb," which completely saved my top end of an otherwise, I think, was a bit dark in the chorus
A bit more delay on the vocal at some point pre-chorus to create bigger room, same with the tambourine and hi hats.
Small amount of distortion on the lead vocal+delay+reverb+paralleled

Hope you like my mix. Thanks for the listen and comment

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rjtuny ... sp=sharing
VasDim

Post by VasDim »

Hi all,
this is my attempt to mix:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qt5wahya6tasm ... m.wav?dl=0

For all track are used:
- Waves Q10;
- Waves C4;
- Db ProComp.

AUX Effect;
- Waves TrueVerb;
- Waves SuperTap;

Good luck to all.
VasDim
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Hello,

Just found this page and went for the challenge. Great song, great vocals, got some of the artist "Lauv" feeling about it so went for something in that range. It's very radio friendly.

- Total focus on vocals + harms and libs. MB compressed a lot of the 200-300hz.
- Prl compressed the drums for energy.
- Didn't use that much of the perc's. They didn't add anything to the song imo. The song needed clarity, meaning vocals, harms and drums.
- The recorded bass had some artifacts, meaning the attack time and the sustain should have been smoothned out before bounce. This is an easy fix though in the plugin.
- A bit too much of ambiance and could be re-arranged but still great sounds.

Some thoughts: Would love to fix the bass issue, found a bass pad that sounds awesome but it's up to the producer if we can re-arrange/add small elements for enhancing some parts. I would also like to have a more prominent kick in the chorus, the percs is a bit too muddy, I think a more "airy" kick would be great.

The mix: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yfw77fz43xdf ... K.wav?dl=0
Last edited by JohnK on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:35 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
pabloAT

Post by pabloAT »

Dear all,

I really enjoyed mixing this track. Please find below the dropbox's link to my mix:

[Dropbox's link to mix]

DAW = Cubase 10.0.60
Integrated LUFS = -17.5
True Peak = -3.0 dB
WAV, 44kHz, 24bit

Mix Preparation
Preliminary raw balance: cleaning-up, setting levels, panning/stereo spreading, check/invert phase, HPF with gusto on all tracks
Spend quite a time to get the raw balance, mostly setting levels and prioritizing the different elements/drumkits of the percussion/drum
Some few time and tone adjustments for vocals
Heavy automation for the final steps of the mix.
Drums
Kick: grouped tracks ‘percussion main 2’ and ‘percussion kick’, heavy compression and sub reinforcement
Snare: track ‘percussion snare’ with 1176 compression, pultec-like EQ and a bit of SnareBuzz for taste
OH: I’ve adopted the track ‘percussion midi drum loop’ as OH, and started building the ‘drumkit’ on the top of that. Only a bit of LA3A-type compressor here.
The drum buss benefited from blend and size reverb, a bit of distortion and SSL-like compressor.
Percussions
Lots of work here, trying to find a nice balance: panning, checking and modifying phase, leveling, spreading stereo field, etc. On the top of that, a heavy OTT compression for loop 4, reverb for size and blend, and more...
Bass
Grouping the bass tracks, LA2A-type compression, cleaning the sub bass frequencies, added distortion and subtle tape saturation
Guitars
Pultec-like EQ, reverb for blending and subtle tape saturation
Synths
Mostly delay for size and blending. Quite a lot of work on track ‘synth ebow’ (tape saturation,shimmering, etc.) till happy with tonality
Vocals
Tons of automation, classical 1176 > LA2A, Delay for blend and size, distortion for “Paranoid” part
Main Mix Buss
Gentle SSL-G master compressor for gluing the mix together, subtle tape saturation, and in the end added a bit of sub-bass content as a parallel process.

Best wishes,
Pablo