2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC37 October 2017 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
fese

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC37 October 2017 - Round 1 in evaluation

Post by fese »

kevin gobin wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 13:15 CEST
Sorry Fese for providing soundcloud links. I think I am the only one here with Studio Saturn.

I remember soundcloud players were embedded (not anymore indeed) in the mix challenge forum, so I found them easy to listen to, and also no one ever complained since I joined this community, so we really could not know... (should we? :hail: :baytins: )

I also found they were a good way to share the mix challenge's site link, which I always provided to help... :sing:

However I didn't know you had to log in to download :face: , so I see your point, and I will switch to another cloud service.
I am not generally against Soundcloud and it should be possible to make a file downloadable for everyone, the mix from RotterN was also on soundcloud, but I could d/l it with one click from the player provided here. Maybe he could tell how he did that?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I'll step in for a minute...
fese wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:18 CEST
I have 24 valid submissions.
Did I miscount? I've seen 25 (didn't download them). Or are you not adding those mixes that you couldn't download?

Now on to the meat of the post:
fese wrote:
One thing regarding your uploaded files: I've encountered a few problems which were (mildly) annoying and extra work
  1. check whether your download link works! I've got a "not found" from B4lasers submission, so no file, no taking part, and that's actually a shame regarding the work you put in.
I'd say... give him another 6 hours until the 22nd is over.
If the files are not fixed/accessible after that time window, then that's too bad and he's out of the game.

fese wrote:
[*] please provide links that i can download immediately, e.g. with dropbox links you can change the final bit of the URL from "dl=0" to "dl=1". One click, immediate download. No soundcloud links where I have to login to dl (pure luck that I haven't deleted my soundcloud account yet!)
That's part of the rule set...

Regarding SoundCloud, it is known since around Mix Challenge 28 that SoundCloud only makes it possible to download files if you log in. Downloading worked previously without that stepping stone. However, I now understand that a "public download" is only available for paid accounts? I never dove into this platform to be honest, and I'm not speaking against it. But the issue is known for a while at this point, hence explicitly mentioning in the Rules & Guidelines to "make files possible to download"

Again, give the participant another 6 hours - if the file is not accessible by then, too bad as well.

fese wrote:
[*] put your exact forum user name in the file name! Not any other name or even worse, nothing. Makes it really hard to match the files to the user.
[/list]
This is a big issue for the Songwriting Competition as well.
In fact, for over eight Mix(ing) Challenges, this has been mentioned in the very first post to properly name your files.

Those that didn't do it, consider it a final warning.
:!: As of MC38, not sticking to the naming convention means "Game Over".

fese wrote:
Listening and judging 24 mixes will take a lot of time and I want to concentrate on that and not on file management, so I decided to be a hard-ass and add file delivery as a (lower weighted) point to my evaluation matrix!
Which is only valid - the Rules & Guidelines exist for a reason.
And I'm really sorry about this. But I think at some point, we finally have to tighten up the thumb screws.

Here are the Rules & Guidelines of the Mix(ing) Challenge again

:obeyrules:
Pussylover

Post by Pussylover »

I updated with username. Sorry for the inconvenient.
kc23

Post by kc23 »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 18:10 CEST

"[...] hence explicitly mentioning in the Rules & Guidelines to "make files possible to download" "
About the dropbox files... when I click the link I provided, it takes me to a dropbox player, so the file can be played back directly. Also, I think by default it is "downloadable", you just have to press the download button on the same player page... so, it is possible to download.

fese wrote:

[*] please provide links that i can download immediately, e.g. with dropbox links you can change the final bit of the URL from "dl=0" to "dl=1". One click, immediate download.

Didn´t know about this url change. Gonna change my links then.

Thanks!
shoma

Post by shoma »

fese wrote:

[*] please provide links that i can download immediately, e.g. with dropbox links you can change the final bit of the URL from "dl=0" to "dl=1". One click, immediate download.

Ok, I will edit my submission and add clickable links for immediate download then..
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

kc23 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 08:39 CEST
About the dropbox files... when I click the link I provided, it takes me to a dropbox player, so the file can be played back directly. Also, I think by default it is "downloadable", you just have to press the download button on the same player page... so, it is possible to download.
That is correct - although DropBox tends to change things ever so often as well.

The main criticism was SoundCloud - which is not easy to download unless you have an account there. Everything else is a personal request from the client and not a concern regarding possible rule violations. So no need to go crazy over this. Just please check that your tracks can be downloaded.
fese

Post by fese »

Mister Fox wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 17:44 CEST
The main criticism was SoundCloud - which is not easy to download unless you have an account there. Everything else is a personal request from the client and not a concern regarding possible rule violations. So no need to go crazy over this. Just please check that your tracks can be downloaded.
Yep, sorry, I didn't want to spread panic, I got every file (except that from B4Laser) downloaded finally. No need to fix the links that are already there. Just a reminder for the next round or MC. It was just that every little issue added up and all in all it took me like 1 1/2 hours before I got every file sorted in my DAW, , so I was a bit annoyed.
B4Lasers

Post by B4Lasers »

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxXcP ... E01T2pWWGc

i also fixed the link on my post I'm not sure what happened. i used google drive i must have moved it or something. sorry guys
fese

Post by fese »

B4Lasers wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 08:46 CEST
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxXcP ... E01T2pWWGc

i also fixed the link on my post I'm not sure what happened. i used google drive i must have moved it or something. sorry guys
Hi, sorry, but it is a bit too late, i already finished all listening and writing, but I gave it a quick listen and wrote some feedback.
fese

Post by fese »

Wow, that was some work! Lots of really good mixes, and I could've easily chosen 10 to 12 entries for the second round, but I limited myself to eight.
There were some tough calls to be made and it was really close, I had a hard time deciding over the final two places, but I had to make a decision.

What my criteria were:
- first impression of the mix and did it meet my personal taste/idea of the song (rather natural sound).
- do I like the sound of the lead vocals? I do not like my own voice very much in a recording, so whoever managed to work around that and presented me with something where I didn't go "ew" had points :)
- level balance and panning. Especially the chorus is problematic when too much is happening in the center.
- frequency balance, that too.
- gut feeling