2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC39 December 2017 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
JonasLasse

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC39 December 2017 - Submissions until 21-12-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by JonasLasse »

Hello again,
so this is my contribution.

WAV 44.1/24 & mp3@320kb/s

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ktsm9liyu49o ... och4a?dl=0

I leveled the vocals in small parts to keep dynamics in compression. After that i leveled the piano which was hard, because of its midi-ness.
I tried a generell sound and decided to take piano and vocals in center as the most stable components. Vocals have compressed air-range, many Early Reflections , compressed & short reverb and a delay which runs into the Reverb again. There is a CLA2A as the compressor with +-3db GR.
I used a ER and delay on Piano with much much "analog" feedback to make it more mysterious (Christmas!) and modern. It's width is smaller than it was when delivered. Tried to escape the midi-ness of the strings by adding reverb, distortion and modulation. Some sidechaining helped to keep vocals in range. Many things are automated to keep compression out of it.

There is none bus-compression besides the sidechained compression.

Leveled to -18dBFS

A very nice Song, i was happy to hear it.

Jonas
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC39 December 2017 - Submissions until 21-12-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Okay, asked a local friend of mine with a Mac, he only gets a "file corrupt" - please give me a couple of hours, I'll fix this issue ASAP.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

EDIT:
Files reuploaded. Things should work now. To those downloading 7z files on a Mac, please let me know if you can extract them.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your edit.
Photonic

Post by Photonic »

Hello,

What a great song, but what a sad story behind! He had such a warm and gentle voice and did a marvelous composition. The chor fits perfectly to the song.

I used a lot of automation for the strings to avoid static levels and to bring the orchestra to live. And the reverb send for lead voice was automated to increase the reverb in the louder chorus parts and to remove nearly all reverb to the end, to make the last words very direct and intimate.

MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xznel79qiyvl ... c.mp3?dl=1
WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2ilq450ubjw6 ... c.wav?dl=1

Mixed in Reaper v5.51

Piano: ReaEQ to take out some mids at 250 and 700 Hz, high shelve to boost above 2kHz, Presswerk with 'Easy Compressor mode'
String Ensemble and Warm Strings: ReaEQ to Take out some mids at 250Hz and 1.5kHz
Full Strings: ReaEQ o take out some mids at 300Hz and 2kHz, high shelve to boost above 5kHz
Full Organ: ReaEQ to low cut at 150Hz and to boost at 5kHz
Tubular Bell: ReaEQ to low cut at 200Hz, boost at 700 Hz
Glock: ReaEQ to low cut at 1kHz, TDR Nova to reduce resonance with de-esser mode at 2.8kHz
Lead Vocal: ReaEQ to low cut at 120Hz, lower 2dB at 700Hz, boost 4dB at 3.5kHz, TDR Nova for de-essing at 4kHz, automated ReaEQ to reduce resonance sound in some S-sounds with -12dB at 4.28kHz, Presswerk with 'Vocal Compressor mode'
Chor: Subgroups for all voices, ReaEQ and TDR Nova for De-essing
Kids: ReaEQ
Mix-Bus: MQ57, Presswerk, SPAN

Reverb: Acon Digital Verberate
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow: I am happy to announce the following new sponsor for the Mix Challenge:

Hornet Plugins is kind enough give away one license from the depicted tools (see image) to the winner
License will turn into NFR
More info on Hornet Plugins: http://www.hornetplugins.com

Hornet Plugins will be offering two different sets of tools. One for the Songwriting Competition and upcoming Remix Challenge, with a focus on "starting a project" and "creative editing". One for the Mix Challenge, with a focus on mixing and "warming up" signals.

A huge thank you goes to Hornet Plugins for providing the licenses. :tu:
kevin gobin

Post by kevin gobin »

Hello Alan, Mr Fox and everyone here.

First of all I think it is special for us to mix Quincy's amazing voice and music, but I can't imagine how you feel Alan.
I think all of this is a great way to share love and respect to Mr Roan. RIP.

On the technical side:
I have used equalizations to unmask instruments and clean the low freqs.
I expanded the stereo with panning and a bit of stereocontrol widening on the organ.
I set reverbs to simulate a real deep space, each vocal bus have had his own.
I just used one compressor, on the lead vocal.
Nothing on my 2bus except a peak limiter and a hipass filter.

All the rest is about volume automation, trying to enhance the feeling of power and great dynamics in the sections.

See you soon,
Kevin.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0ga3jbe9ioap ... n.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hr9wpi82ifa92 ... n.wav?dl=0

PS:
Great news about new sponsors, great job Mr Fox! Welcome new sponsors!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your mix
FixInTheMix

Post by FixInTheMix »

Well first of all Alan I´m sorry for your loss, at least you were able to find a way to finish what Quincy started and you did beautifully.
I actually searched and found his music on bandcamp, very talented musician with a sweet voice, it is a pleasure to mix a song with a singer that can actually sing.
I hope my attempt makes justice to the sound both Quincy and you intended for this song.

I mixed this track going back and forth between mono and stereo as I find it extremely useful for balancing levels, specially for the vocals, there was a bit of editing on the piano with one note that was cut too short and with some of the "s" sounds on the main vocals that were too much loud

used a simple reverb with medium decay send for the instruments to make them sound more cohesive, didn´t use the reverb on the piano and the organ as I think that both tracks have enough reverb/depth already on their own. Besides some subtle compression and eq the instruments where simple to mix, the real challenge was the choir and the vocals.
For the main vocal I used a plate reverb with a decay of almost 8 seconds, predelay of 50ms, enough damping to prevent the "s" sounds so ring out too much also added a de-esser on the vocal track, 75% side 25% mid output

For the choir I first set the levels and panning of the individual tracks for each section (sopranos,altos,kids sopranos, etc) then grouped those tracks
in submasters that I could process with eq and compression, (there were some nasty resonances) and then made the final mix between these submasters that were grouped into a master folder so I could use it for the reverb send. I used a convolution reverb with an impulse response from a church, I figured it should sound as a recoding straight out of a church choir or a gregorian chant so i left that reverb untouched, the "esses" ring out a lot, just like it does on the reflective surfaces of a big temple.

I used automation mainly for the levels of the strings staccato and for some specific choir subgroups specially during the buildup for the
last chorus and also for the main vocals so the last repetition would be louder and accentuate the emotional impact of the song.

Overall a very good sounding song from the start and very powerful meaning behind it, Im glad to participate :)

WAV https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8xze4rzhtj4s ... x.wav?dl=0
MP3 https://www.dropbox.com/s/jihtdwrh1ddvn ... x.mp3?dl=0
MGMix

Post by MGMix »

No dynamics tool, EQ on piano and bell, otherwise only pan, volume controls and room.
That's it.

I wish you a lot of fun

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yo3okgz1cigt2 ... x.mp3?dl=0
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A reminder of the rule set:
Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 05:00 CET
Please take note of the following
  • IMPORTANT: It is now mandatory to provide WAV files (FLAC bar minimum on low internet bandwidth), files need to be accessible/downloadable, try to work within suitable work levels, document your edits (as simple or as detailed as you like)
:obeyrules: