2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC40 February 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!

The Winners Podium is
1) Henrik Hjortnaes
2) Coiled Ear
3) photonic

We perform with the usual - please select one license out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name and mail address.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.
MC41 is in full swing - see you over there!

To the songwriters among us, the Songwriting Competition 07 is also up and running. You can find it here:
http://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11
Henrik Hjortnaes

Re: Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC40 February 2018 - Winners announced

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes »

Crikey! Thank you! :hyper:

I think the actual posted feedback provided by 3ee throughout MC040 has been excellent and I've learned quite a bit. This was my first here and did not know what to expect. Those were some good pointers, 3ee, to keep us/me on track!

Throughout the contest, I listened to and compared my ongoing mix to all the mixes here and found inspiration in every one of them. There are a lot of great choices and details made by all to learn from. It is a big deal to me, to actually "listen-in" to your mixes and realize, that there are things I failed at and need to improve on.

Running a site like this must be seriously difficult. Difficult to please everyone and difficult to make everything fair. I do not envy this task of Mister Fox. But I do think he does a great job trying his best to sort it all out. Thank you, Fox!
Henrik Hjortnaes

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes »

I will take the Black Rooster Audio bundle. I simply love this German developer and his work! :phones:
satyatunes
Honorary Member

Post by satyatunes »

Congratulations Henrik Hjortnaes, Coiled Ear and photonic.

@Henrik - Your mix was my first choice too. I loved what you did with the bass especially. Can you please elaborate what you did, will surely help us.
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Congratulations guys :clap:
3ee

Post by 3ee »

feedback for the other round2 mixes:

now please understand, both mixes are very nice but there was so much place for the podium to go around! :D

Wizoo
Nice'n' clean mix, cool processing especially in the pad. Drums (the snare especially) seems separate from (not glued to) the song, way too upfront, it may seem that one is listening to drums and not the song :D .... try this: memorize the drum bus level... now bring it do minimum and slowly bring it up and stop where it sees just about enough... now compare with the level you had previously.

satyatunes
Another pleasant and "hidden-smooth" atmo mix. Lovely, relaxing sounding processing on the pad especially! Snare is way off, too loud/upfront (reverb choice on it is also guilty for this, choosing a short reverb rich in early reflections makes it seem too close)
kevin gobin

Post by kevin gobin »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

3ee wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 23:27 CET

Wizoo
Nice'n' clean mix, cool processing especially in the pad. Drums (the snare especially) seems separate from (not glued to) the song, way too upfront, it may seem that one is listening to drums and not the song :D .... try this: memorize the drum bus level... now bring it do minimum and slowly bring it up and stop where it sees just about enough... now compare with the level you had previously.
1-You didn't mention anything about upfront snare before !! just saying
2-I didn't use enough reverb to send it back a bit (i know that) and thank you for your tip now i know how to use fader !! :grin:
Anyway thank you 3ee for song and see you guys in the next competition .
3ee

Post by 3ee »

Wizzo wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 01:09 CET
3ee wrote:

Wizoo
2-I didn't use enough reverb to send it back a bit (i know that) and thank you for your tip now i know how to use fader !! :grin:
sorry, must have missed that somehow... and the changes applied to the 2nd round mix made the snare stick out some more by contrast if seems.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic on the fader tip (I had that same volume problem in the past, I honestly wasn't giving lectures on using the fader :P )
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

3ee wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 02:50 CET
Wizzo wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 01:09 CET
3ee wrote:

Wizoo
sorry, must have missed that somehow... and the changes applied to the 2nd round mix made the snare stick out some more by contrast if seems.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic on the fader tip (I had that same volume problem in the past, I honestly wasn't giving lectures on using the fader :P )
Yeah it's a bit open in R2 this is true , no sarcastic for sure i'm just kidding , and if you have any tip or tutorial please do it. :tu: