2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC42 April 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC42 April 2018 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 2nd May 2018, 2:10am - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

All participants have sent in their edits. (if I didn't see that wrong)
Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)
Both the Mix Challenge 43 and Songwriting Competition 09 are in full swing. Also don't forget to check out the Remix Challenge 02

See you on the flipside.
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

So, I spent some more hours listening to your mixes. I must admit that almost everybody tried to improve by listening to my feedback.
And I have to APOLOGIZE because of the bad idea I had to add a reference track, it maybe had a bad influence on some mixes. Sorry
for that, but I am there to learn too. It would have been better to provide the reference at the beginning.
The winners are
1 - Henrik Hjortnaes 2 - Isaac Yom 3 - Nige

Just some words about your work below, it was a really good experience. Henrik your idea to put a kind of tremolo on the guitars was the hook ! Other than that really cool and nicely done mix. Isaac Yom : your mix sounds even a bit better for me than the winning mix but I was amazed by the awesome work/creativity of the first. Nige : unique, the mix you did is perfectly reflecting your special personnality, with no compromise. I'd be happy to give to each contestant a hug for the awesome work you did !
The last 8 mixes were really fine !!!!!

The last feedback :
HenrikHjortnaes :

Balance : Brass ok now. (and classy)

Tone : Nice mid fix. The bass guitar is there !

Stereo : You found the way to improve the brass !!!

Space/reverb : Ok !

Dynamic : Nice snare now, and the mix breath more now

General : Wow bis ! The tremolo is THE idea. Really cool revision !! You did a nice tonal improvement during the choruses !

Isaac Yom :

Balance : Nothing but good

Tone : The snare has the right fat character now for me. Good bass mid now. Vocal no more thin. As dark as i wanted mix !

Stereo : Just good !

Dynamics : Nice snare fix !

Space/reverb : good.

General : I now have that something more during the intro ! Really cool and subtle revision !! Your vision of the mix is really similar to mine !!!! Thank you Isaac !

Nige :

Balance : Nice one, seriously nothing to say.

Tone : Sub freq ok now ! More body for the brass ? Improved !

Stereo :
Nice change for the bck vocals tracks.

Dynamics : Still good

Space/reverb : Was good, still good

General : Nice try ! You just didn’t change the lead vocal track. But I respect it. Thanx bro.

Octopussy :

The mix is so different now, I have sent a private message to you asking if there was a bounce mistake or so. I have to say that the first mix is far better for me. WTF ? If it is you vision of the mix, I am ok BTW.

Kevin Gobin :

Balance : Nice improvement !

Tone : Nice improvement, more clarity this time (a bit too much), I just need a bit more power in the lo mid /mid range.

Stereo :
Many masking issues solved !

Dynamics : Ok

Space/reverb : More control now

General : Kevin, you did a good revision. Just a bit surprised by the lack of lo mid. Thanx !

Mork :

Balance : Really nice now

Tone : Less dark mix ! The bass is ok at 100 now. Your mix overall shines more now, just a bit too much now.

Stereo : Good, really good

Space/reverb : the snare room is good.

Dynamics/distortion : My vocals need more control and gain gain staging before the compression. Other than that, ok !

General : Good mix, more polished this time. You just lost a bit that smooth/dark character that I loved so much. You low range is under control now BTW.
Thank you a lot !

Wizzo :

Balance : The hihat is ok. Vocals just nicely mixed. Brass OK. Lead vocals strong enough now !

Tone : Issues oalmost fixed !

Stereo : Large and nice

Space/reverb : Fixed too

Dynamics/distortion : Nice fix (level) and nice guitars attack

General : Solid mix Wizzo ! Good job !!!!
Thanks a lot

Jonaslasse :

Balance : Back Voc OK. The snare is Ok now. The brass now are ok too

Tone : Now a bit loud at 4/6 k. Why did you cut so much the lo range ? The lack of high mid wass not so big.

Stereo : Nice
Brass paning ok now.

Dynamics : I just need more attack on the snare again.

Space/reverb : just a nice ambiance !

General : I was asking for a little more clarity, you maybe have been too far this time ! Other than that real improvement. Thanx once again.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
kevin gobin

Post by kevin gobin »

Congrats Henrik, Isaac and Nige!!!

That was a very nice mixing contest and experience MOA22 and everybody here, see you soon!
isaac yom

Post by isaac yom »

thank you david, thank you kevin, and congratulations for henrik and nige!
and thanks again for the feedbacks, it was such a valuable experience for me.
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Mork »

Congrats to the winners! :tu:
Nige

Post by Nige »

Well that was a little unexpected but very cool nonetheless.
Congrats to Henrik and Isaac, and a MASSIVE shout out to @MOA22 for supplying such a sweet track going the extra distance with his great feedback. and thanks to MISTER FOX for his organisation.
Cheers.
Henrik Hjortnaes

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes »

Amazing, I did not expect this. Congrats to isaac and Nige and also thanks to Fox for running this and taking care of us.

And a special thanks to you, David. Your feedback was so interesting to read and in my case, scarily spot on when I looked back at my first mix while reading your words. I listened to all the mixes here while reading all the feedback and it has been a great experience. :phones:
Henrik Hjortnaes

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes »

If I recall correctly, we pick a prize, report it here in-thread and PM Fox, right? If so:

I'll take the Hornet Tape, please.
isaac yom

Post by isaac yom »

then i'll pick bra.
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Yeah, obviously a bounce mistake. The one I didn't check because I had to rush it.

It's really frustrating, and I'm pissed of at myself for wasting a round 2 spot because of a silly mistake. Also, because I'm quite proud of this mix.

Anyway, for what is worth, here's the revision.

https://mega.nz/#!IKh3iSwL!rDFGEjuv-ilN ... miKmGmkZi8