2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC046 August 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
davemcisaac

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC046 August 2018 - Submissions until 21-08-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by davemcisaac »

Last minute decision to mix this fun punk rock song. Right at the deadline! Details coming...
Wav - https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... WY37x80fpV
Mp3 - https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... bYbkM6r7cV
Last edited by davemcisaac on Sat Aug 25, 2018 23:28 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
jetwolf

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC046 August 2018 - Submissions until 21-08-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by jetwolf »

Updated to add documentation

I am not sure who kidnapped Mister Fox and typed some benevolence on his keyboard, but I will humbly update my entry with my documentation in any event..

Any verdict is fine as I truly do appreciate having rules. They keep the game fair and fun. I should have sent it in last week when I had the chance.

My mix as submitted was actually completed last week, but I intended on giving it one more go. A SIP code upgrade disaster where I was serving as technical consultant went terribly awry, and after troubleshooting for days just made it home a bit late, but such is life.....

Documentation: of mix

Drums: I chose to go with the miced drums and make them sound as good as possible while keeping the live feel of the punk spirit. No external samples added. SSL G and E Channel used on all drum channels. Kush ubk1 for some parallel comp. A bit of Lexicon tight studio room feathered in.

Bass: Split frequency with some distortion added on top for growl. Softube Summit TLA channel strip. I gravitated to making the bass forward in the mix.

Guitars: API 550s and the Lex Room on some but not all tracks to add depth. The guitar riffs are really cool.

Vocals: CLA 1176 and Slate VMR and some harmonic distortion. I really got a kick out of some of the vocals and left most in. You can tell there was a lot of character in the room. Sounds like you guys had great fun tracking this! Doubling used on sustained bgv.

If not, I really would really appreciate any constructive feedback from the artist or participants.

Thanks for the music!

Kevin White

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cRf8j0 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RYb9Y9 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by jetwolf on Wed Aug 22, 2018 09:33 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC046 August 2018 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 22nd August 2018, 2:05am GMT+2/CEST - the first Mix Round has officially ended

If I didn't miscount, we have 62 entries this month (+2 after the deadline)! That's an additional 20 participants more than last month (42) and also 38 participant more than 2017 (24). Holy... I am amazed by this exponential growth.

A very warm welcome to all new participants. And a huge thank you to everyone that is spreading the word about the Mix Challenge.

• There has been been 2 submission after the deadline (davemcisaac is 2min over according to the server time, jetwolf is 17min over - convince me to keep you in the race and I might do that, but you know the rules at this point! :wink: )
  • I've had to give out 0 warnings due to a rule violations
  • There are a handful of users that did not provide minimal documentation (e.g. Studio Saturn, ultradb, TwilightBiscuit, parnellij, neuro, davemcisaac, jetwolf)
  • We have two tracks that can not be downloaded and is not like the source material (maxovrdrive, okayzon)

Keep in mind, this could lead to a disqualification of your entry!

Please check all if your links again, make them downloadable(!, especially SoundCloud links). Those that uploaded MP3s only, please take note: providing a FLAC (on low bandwidth)/WAV (on DSL and higher) file is mandatory now. Those of you that only uploaded a WAV, a MP3 version would be nice. Please also update your posts with minimal documentation for others to learn from (see Rules & Guidelines).

I now open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however.

Please watch this spot for the client feedback and Mix Round 2 participant announcement.

Good luck to all participants.

The Songwriting Competition 12 (SWC12) is still in full swing.
The deadline is 24th August 2018, 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST - so far there have been 6 entries - let's try to exceed 10. Please do spread the word!
davemcisaac

Post by davemcisaac »

Mister Fox wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 02:17 CEST
  • There has been been 2 submission after the deadline (davemcisaac is 2min over according to the server time, jetwolf is 17min over - convince me to keep you in the race and I might do that, but you know the rules at this point! :wink: )
Mr. Fox, that decision is completely up to you. :grin: Entering this challenge was a last minute decision. I started mixing only 2 hours before the deadline. There have been a couple issues in the past that have caused me to not be so enthusiastic about these competitions, but I decided to let that go and join in on the fun. It was a rush job and I accept the fact that I was 2 minutes over the deadline.

I started by normalizing all tracks to peak @ -18 db for simplified gain staging. I used NLS Bus Stereo on all busses (Spike) with no boost. I used all the tracks as provided because they all play a part in the overall vibe.

The Toms made for a pretty good "room". Tom L & Tom R panned hard L & R and Floor Tom center. On the Tom Bus I used BX Console G with a hp filter @ 350Hz & HF Shelf @ 16k, mild compression and ran a low output.

I used both Kick & Snare samples (as provided) and gently mixed them in with the recorded tracks. I used Gatey Watey on both K & S busses to tighten them up. I slammed the snare with Scheps 73 pushing the drive and used Goliath on the Kick for drive.

I copied the bass to a separate track to add a considerable amount of grit and re-amped the original track to give it some weight.

The Guitars were panned hard L & R along with using a bit of Ozone Imager to enhance the wideness. I rolled off the low end & added Aphex Vintage Exciter to help bring them out in the mix.

I used MAutoVolume & TuCo (Sonimus) on both the Lead Vox & BV Vox busses. The only EQ on the vocals was ReaEQ on Chris Chorus Vox to carve out some real honkiness. I went very light on delay (EchoBoy Jr) & verb MTurboReverb).
RichardClarke

Post by RichardClarke »

Firstly thank you to everyone who has participated! I have heard some really impressive versions already and am looking forward to going through the rest :)

Just to set expectations i am actually away on holiday at the moment and get back on Sunday. Once i am back and listening on my own system again i'll review them all properly.

Even though there's a lot of entries (62!?) i am hoping to get them done about a week from now (say 30th). If i think i'm not going to make that date, i'll give you all a heads up just so you know the progress. Please bear in mind i have a full time job and family to take care of too ;)
dj blackie

Post by dj blackie »

dj blackie wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 20:15 CEST
Hi there,

Here is my mix:
WAV--> https://we.tl/t-30OgMccflP
MP3--> https://we.tl/t-VmUOFPoeVJ

It would be too long to describe each channels in detail and an image is better than 1000 words, so i give you my screenshots. All the process here is only to make sure the "sound" punk is manageable. :hihi:

Not sure if punk need UFS level control when they like all button red in the board :grin:
Here, i did it in Pro Tools (as you can see), because i like it...

Good luck everybody! :tu:

:help: First time i participate in a forum, and i don't know how to correctly post pictures... (can't find a way to import my screenshots into the text).
Still don't know how to put my screenshots so i'm going to write a little bit.

Drums:
an expander on the kick and snares
an EQ on the floor tom and tom
SSL channelstrip on overhead with a filter, an eq, and compression
Bass:
an EQ, 2 compressions Dyn3 (native)
Guitars:
an EQ, an expander, a SSL bus compressor, a Pultec EQ, a StereoControl
Voices:
an expander on each voices
a compressor Dyn3, Bittersweet (transient), SSL channelstrip, Boz Digital Width Knob, Softube Saturation Knob, 2 compressions Dyn3 as limiter (light), a Pultec EQ, a Fabfilter EQ to filter low end
Mix buss:
a Fabfilter EQ to filter low end
a compressor Dyn3 as limiter (for security)(punk is always too loud lol)
a StereoControl to balance

And that's it! The rest, it's magic! :phones:
ultradb

Post by ultradb »

Mister Fox wrote:

[*]There are a handful of users that did not provide minimal documentation (e.g. Studio Saturn, ultradb, TwilightBiscuit, parnellij, neuro, davemcisaac, jetwolf)

!
sorry, I missed information that we need to provide documentation
I edited my post, hope it's not too late..
leslingle

Post by leslingle »

This is a bonus mix for those you just like to listen to the jam. This is a instrumental version I did just for fun :phones: Enjoy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ish4gs02x8e9 ... t.wav?dl=0
SamuelPelegrini

Post by SamuelPelegrini »

Mister Fox wrote:

A very warm welcome to all new participants. And a huge thank you to everyone that is spreading the word about the Mix Challenge.

Thank you, Mister Fox, for your warm reception and for the opportunity! :)
SamuelPelegrini

Post by SamuelPelegrini »

RichardClarke wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 07:24 CEST
Firstly thank you to everyone who has participated! [...]
Thank you, RichardClarke, for the song and the opportunity! :)