2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC046 August 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
RichardClarke

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC046 August 2018 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by RichardClarke »

Good Evening all!

Below is my list of top 9 mixes and comments for the next round. Before you jump there to see if you name is in the list I want you to know that it was really difficult to get 62 mixes down to 9! I got back Saturday afternoon in the end and since then have easily spent >20 hours or so in total going through them. I reckon as well that there are probably 15+ other mixes that could have made it in the top ten, so don't be disheartened if yours in not there! I tried to judge it as equally and fairly as I know how and I really appreciate the amount of work some of you must have put into this. A lot of the mixes have made a lot from very little!

Just so you all know I only have given feedback for the top 9, however if you do want feedback from me just for your own interest feel free to contact me on a private message. I might not be able to reply for a while depending how busy I am but I am willing to try to give some feedback. Also if you want to use your mixes in your portfolios you are free to do so but please make sure you credit us as the artists and copyright holders, etc.

So with no further ado....the 9 for round two are.

Alberto Godinez
GGermaine
Drumwizard
Gyerosaski
HerbFelho
Hyyskae
OctoOnFire
Philk
ThomasBerg

Alberto Godinez - Overall I like this mix, there are a couple of things that could be improved. The snare is a tiny bit boxy after a while and could have a little more snap/ crack in it and the kick is a little baggy sounding, could be a little tighter and sit better with the bass a little. The vocals are a little thin and sibilant sounding at times too me, especially the verse ones.

GGermaine - I like the levels of this mix, I like the bass is really in your face but not causing too much drag. I really like the how the kick works with the bass and part of the snare sound that has a nice crack too it, however....what is that weird sound on the snare tail in the background, I really don't like it. The guitars are a little bit thin and nasel at times, if you can try and thinken them without smoothering the bass that would be great.

DrumWizard - Snare could have a little more crack to it and is a little boxy. I was on the fence with the reverse reverb but in the end it grew on me, I think it could be dialed back a little though. It does make the verse more interesting and I like their tone generally. The ooohh ahhh bridge gets a little empty and maybe there could be more guitar, it feels like the track loses momentum for a little while. Bass could also drive things a little more especially when the guitar goes thinner in the riff sections.

Gyerosaski - I like how the bass sits up in this mix, you heard how it drives the song actually more than the guitar does which was something a lot of people missed. The snare is a little boxy and tiny bit dry but then gets a little harsh in the rolls as well and if you could balance that out it would be great. The vocals sit well with each other, maybe they are a little low in the verses for me. I like this mix but it maybe it needs just needs a little more exitement bringing in, maybe the backing vocals in the verse could have more impact for example.

HerbFelho - I feel I can hear everything play its part in this mix and I like that. I like what you did the vocals but they sit a little over the mix for me at times and a little bit detached and smother the guitars, also they possibly also could be a tiny bit more levelled at times. But so you know I felt these were some of the most exciting vocals to listen too and I really don't want you to lose that! I feel this mix captured our live feel really well too. So I think its just refining some balances here. Also the track end is super long?! not a problem as I would just cut it as a client but its goes to 5 mins.

Hyyskae - Snare is a little boxy and flat. Like the sound of the bass, maybe its a little low though at times and could drive things more. I think the kick be a little tighter sounding, it feels a little wobbly to me at times. Not sure of the panning of the rich vocals in the verse and sometimes I felt the vocals could be sit a little better in the chorus. Otherwise a good mix that could just be a little more balanced at the bottom end.

OctoOnFire - I really like this mix, its got a lot of energy, warm but not too boxy. Maybe the bass could be a little more present but I do like the the top end of it, you might be able to lose a little lower mids on the guitar to get the bass come through more? The guitars sound great but perhaps are dominating slightly too much. Really like the vocal treatment, I think you set the trend for the vocal distortion but I also like the reverb feel as well :-) Maybe don't hard pan the chorus rich/mark vocals so much as they feel a little detached, especially when I checked them in Headphones. Would prefer it if you cut the last couple of rounds of the Rich/Mark verse at the end too. Good work though. You set the bar high early.

Philk - I really like the balance in this one as well, I feel I can hear everything and everything gets to play its part. Maybe Chris's vocals could be up a tiny bit on the chorus and mark and rich down a little (i mean only a little!) I do like how you made the chorus open out a little. In the bridge the kits starts to feel a little weak and clicky on the kick, maybe you can find a way of making it sound fuller in that section without compromising the rest of the mix too much. The hats get a little bit harsh at times too and might need dialing back a tiny..tiny bit someway.

ThomasBerg - Like the fact the bass is up in this mix, its a tiny bit loud on the first few bars but I like that its driving the track well. Sometimes the snare gets a little lost and you need to get it cut through a little. Same with the kick but it does not need to be overdone either, just want to know they are there a little more so they drive along with the bass. Can you chop off the last 2 or 3 mark and rich vocals at the end though, like the demo recording, its a small thing but I think its better.

To everyone in round two, I appreciate I may not be super clear in my comments, if any of you do want clarification on what I mean reach out too me on private message!

As a side note I would really encourage everyone to contribute if you have a song that you can provide, i promise you will in return learn a lot from assessing so many versions of the same track, I know I did and I am glad I did it at least once! This is a great idea for a site, its free and we need to keep it going! On and on and on and on and on....... :hihi:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC046 August 2018 - Mix Round 2 until 02-09-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, RichardClarke.

Let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Sunday, 02-SEP-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 9 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order)

Alberto Godinez
Drumwizard
GGermaine
Gyerosaski
HerbFelho
Hyyskae
OctopusOnFire
Philk
ThomasBerg

A thank you to everyone, and good luck for Round 2
HerbFelho

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC046 August 2018 - Mix Round 2 until 02-09-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by HerbFelho »

Hey Richard, thanks for picking my mix for round 2 and congrats to you other eight guys.
Also thanks for the hard work going through 62 entries so fast!
Sorry about the length of the songfile, I forgot to do the cuts before uploading :dog:
Looking forward to work on the mix for round 2 and hopefully will be able to bring it a bit more in line with your vision.
philk

Post by philk »

Hey Richard,

first of all, thanks for your time!
I'm very happy that you liked my mix and placed it as one of the nine best, giving me the chance to work with your feedback and to improve!

I listened to what you liked about my mix, tried to keep that and tried to tackle the problems you had with it. I also read the other 8 mixers feedbacks carefully, listened to some of their versions and tried to get an idea of what you liked about them and what is your vision of the song (e.g. driving Bass, Vocals with a live-ish character). So I implemented some other features, which you didn't suggest in my feedback, but liked in other mixes. So I did some changes and tried to figure out how to maintain my balance, which you liked. I'm excited for your feedback on round 2!

Cheers, Phil

Here are my mixes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5oeyeh43gkzyp ... 2.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/91p47vm041jhn ... 2.mp3?dl=0
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Hey Richard,

Thank you so much for choosing my mix, I'm really glad you liked it!

Unfortunately, I'm on the road these days and I won't make it until past the deadline for the 2nd round. This wasn't planned and kind of sudden so I couldn't bring my laptop with me. Please, either add someone else instead of me for the second round or just consider my first submission and see if it still can compete.

In any case, thanks again for submitting such a cool song and taking the time to do all the feedback! Have lots of fun with Round 2!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 24 hours left to submit your edit for Mix Round 2
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

congrats to the prevailing nine!
most of you were in my fav list but there were a couple of other great mixes that I loved.

I still love my own mix too, thx much for listening,
but I should have mentioned that I had the sound of the Godfathers in my mind, which is entirely different from anything posted here. in a follow-up I could come a bit closer to that ideal of mine.

looking forward to learn about the winner. good luck!
hyyskae

Post by hyyskae »

I almost forgot that it's possible to get to round two :D Thank u for that. Luckily I just had a spot to do changes.
I tried to focus all of the details you showed up.

...and here it is.
WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjzfyy2zf4f5z ... 2.wav?dl=0
MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gkxt39qvjxmrj ... 2.mp3?dl=0
HerbFelho

Post by HerbFelho »

Ok, here´s my R2 revision.
You were right with your critique on vocal levelling for sure, so I tried to tame the vocals a bit and made them glue more with the rest, that way the guitars should also be less "ducked" by them.
I liked the sound of the bass, so I simply increased the volume a bit, so it drives the song more.
Overall my vision was a punk band blasting out in their rehearsal shack, quite happy with the result in this spirit...

Cheers
Herb

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iqMt5 ... S5Rhujgo8d
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N1L1b ... -xIOOBT2vZ
thomasberg

Post by thomasberg »

Hi!

Thank you so much :smile:

I made the adjustments you wanted, hope I didnt overdo it... :exhausted:

Anyways, heres my R2 mixes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/92whhq5otzyln ... 2.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwy8ofapkcto3 ... 2.mp3?dl=0

-Thomas
Last edited by thomasberg on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:38 CEST, edited 1 time in total.