2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC046 August 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
White Punk OD

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC046 August 2018 - Submissions until 21-08-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by White Punk OD »

Hello everyone,
I used to love this type of band in my younger years! :tu:
So here is my entry:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M868Q ... lMJWWyZ4ZA WAV 48/24
plz enjoy!

Besides some detail work, I kept the general shape rather minimalistic.
The genuine sounds and the playing should come through.

For some cleaning, reagate on almost every track, fine-tuned (e.g. make kick subs shorter).
Quite some automation, to keep macro dynamics together, and mitigate distractions.
Guitar fader was essential to get fullest sound in every moment, without pushing vocals off.

Izotope Neutrino was used on busses Voc, Git, Drums (not Room). Won't you sit in the mix hahaha...

Drums: no samples were changed, trigger tracks were used for supporting transients and brightness.
"Snare top" was pitch-lowered -10 cent, "Snare Bottom" -20 cent. (Practically inaudible but improves the feeling.)

Editing: "Rich Vox 2" those lines "he doesn't see her" -- I time-shifted this as they seemed a bit lagging. Whole phrases were cut and pasted in same place a bit earlier.

putting track details in here:
► Show Spoiler
Mix bus treatment:
Multiband comp, splits at 235 and 1420. Bass nothing, Mids some glue, Treble a little bit of attack 18ms.
Low shelf lin phase -1.6dB at 236Hz
Low Pass 22k Q=0.7
Side channel hi shelf 1k7, Q=0.63, +1.1dB
Last edited by White Punk OD on Wed Aug 15, 2018 16:05 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
ChicagoSammy

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC046 August 2018 - Submissions until 21-08-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by ChicagoSammy »

REMIXED!!!!!!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Keg9S ... Dm5PuV16mb WAV

Howdy!
This is my first entry here at Mix-Challenge. This was a really fun song to mix. The energy of the tune drove me to my mix decisions.

I didnt do anything crazy and it ended up sounding a bit hi-fi. Im mixing in my small room with a Apollo Twin into a Hafler and my NS-!0MX.

Dry snare triggered some room samples into a room verb, May have gone a little heavy on the verb. I bumped 8k on the bottom mic, gave it some bite. Overheads were pretty rough , think i just high passed and notched a few freqs. I heard a some mixes struggling with the dry kick, i pretty much cut out a wide band at 210 and that got rid of the woof, other than that the kick sounded good with an 8k bump, maxxbass and lofi.

Guitars had a heavy standing wave at 2k-3k, notched that out a few times, hp and lp maybe a 2k bump and some maxxbass and thats it. Spring verb panned.

Bass, some distortion and LP at like 3k, then boosted, comp

Vocals, only slight boosts and a HP. some pensado doubling into my signature bathroom verb.
Doubled some bgvs, heavy comp, bathroom verb, i could have spend more time on these.

Ended up bypassing a lot of my mixbus, No pultec, no fairchild, a HP filter at 20, api 2500 kissing 2db and the loudest parts, i liked how a fast attack folded the 150hz of the snare into the mix, another eq cutting some 400-500, i think thats it
Last edited by ChicagoSammy on Tue Aug 28, 2018 05:41 CEST, edited 6 times in total.
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

I liked Drumwizard, Leary, Photonics for balance and compactness.
Though D. had the "Halloween version" on, regarding those vocal revs. :)

Some mixes had the guitars sounding a bit "digital". Some had bright drum sounds poking out. Some had more of a hard rock style.

I checked also with smartphone earplugs, this was quite revealing.

Thanks to the band. Its pure fun.

---
Addendum to Mr.Richard Clarke -
very sorry I forgot to cut the vocals at the end of the song to your specs, as I was carried away with the energy of the vocals and loved everything.
In case you like my mix, of course I can do that within hours on your request. I was happy about this opportunity anyway.
(But the rules of the competition in round 1 don't allow the candidate to change their submitted entry on their own.)

addendum (on request of the contest master)
Here is the mp3 version:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SxQA4 ... oh9lo4jJvC
Last edited by White Punk OD on Wed Aug 22, 2018 04:40 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
noogard

Post by noogard »

Hello! Sorry for another bad work of mine :)
I really like the recording and the material, thats great :)
Used original drums and samples, a bit of distortion for drum bus, more distortion for cymbals.
Bass a bit EQed
Guitars - more bite, and a bit taped
Vocals - slap for main one bit of reverb for other, more reverb for ooooh's
for master bus - nothing but a bit of eq
thank you for attention!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
pablodp

Post by pablodp »

Tracks:
WAV:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwcg4mqasxmti ... o.wav?dl=0

MP3:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rh0a9f7btlfn6 ... 0.mp3?dl=0

Process:

Vocals;
- I decided to make a twist with the vocals.
- Reamp the vocals throughout a fender tube amp and crank the amp so it gets distorted and recorded back to the daw with a condenser mic fairly distant to the source.
- Eq the vocal to taste and pull out some nasty frequencies.
- Use a bit of compression just to even out the vocals and give a bit of extra grid.
- Use a reverb to taste
- One of the vocals its fairly clean, just was sent way back with some reverb.
- Use the original vocal track with a lot of compression and some Eq, and put it under the main distorted vocal just to give it some clarity.

Drums:
- Didn't use a lot of compression, instead I used a lot of saturation to give it some grid, control the peaks and give it to the drums that kind of old school punk vibe.
- Use some samples underneath with the snare just to give some highs to it, and also with the kick to give some lows (aligned the samples so they have phase coherence with the source)
- Use some parallel compression with the entire drum set
- Create a fake drum room using an aux track and sending different parts of the drums with different levels.
- Use also some extra reverb with the snare.

Bass:
- Reamp the bass and spit the signal.
- Source track was low-passed and use so compression to even out the low end.
- Reamp track was distorted to give some grid and definition to the bass.
- Balance both tracks.

Guitars:
- Remove some nasty frequencies.
- Use some Eq and little bit of compression.
- Send the guitars to two different busses pre-fader
- The aux track guitar I lowered the pitch an octave an balanced with the source guitars to give a bit of body.
- Use a side-chain compression triggered by the vocals, so the guitars are turned down a bit when the vocals appear.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your edit

Sorry, I'm a bit late with this
Ohbeejuan

Post by Ohbeejuan »

Greetings everyone.

Here's my mix. The only edits I had were to cut a bit off the front of the overheads and to line them up with the kick and the snare because they were pretty far off. I decided against using the samples provided or to use any other samples. I liked what was there and from what I've heard from other submissions, adding in other samples just doesn't sound right. Especially for the era. What I tried to do was get a mix that was similar to the reference track, but was just a better version of it. The rest is really just mixing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/omkgryijk8qjw ... s.wav?dl=0
maxovrdrive

Post by maxovrdrive »

Greetings All!

Here is my mix: https://soundcloud.com/maxovrdrive/mc04 ... ez/s-sNYBU

I tried to preserve the energy and whatever dynamics (LOL) there was on the track...

DRMS
KICK
- another sample was used for further definition
- kick transients were adjusted
- eq into compression for original sample and kick;
nothing for 2nd sample
SNARE
- sample transients were adjusted
- two parallel channels were created, each introducing a different effect; blended to taste
- plate was used
TOMS
- grouped and compressed heavily into EQ
- transients adjusted
OH
- phase adjusted
- eq into compression

DRUM BUSS
- eq into compression;
- small plate blended very slightly for space

BASS
- eq on bass (no compression)
- parallel channel
- saturation channel

BASS BUSS
- BBE

GTRS
- used all tracks
- EQ on two tracks

GTR BUSS
- eq (no compression)

VOX
- compression on Chris Verse & Rich Vox; none for the rest
- two saturation channels used and blended to taste
- small room for vocals

VOX BUS
- eq into compression

SUB MASTER / 2BUS
- subtle adjustments of sonics
Crownoise

Post by Crownoise »

Hey guys and gals! This was a fun one, i am used to do my own mastering and get my sound that i want out of that but since you wanted ous to leave that for later i had a tiny trouble getting the sound i was after. I think i almost got there, i hope you enjoy my version! Cheers.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bNx3rf ... sp=sharing