2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC047 September 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
stilespod

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC047 September 2018 - Mix Round 2 until 04-10-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by stilespod »

Hello, here is my submission for Round 2, Thanks again for this opportunity, this has been a great learning experience for my mixing skills.

MP3

WAV
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC047 September 2018 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 5th October 2018, 12:20am - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

All participants were able to send in their edits.
However we have one (as in number: 1) submission after the deadline (stilespod).

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)
Both the Mix Challenge 48 and Songwriting Competition 14 are in full swing.

See you on the flipside.
stilespod

Post by stilespod »

Sorry!!! I failed to +2 the GMT ---in any event even with the forfeited submission it was still loads of fun, and there were a bunch of GREAT mixes!!

see you all at another challenge (this time my clock will be right!!!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

For the future:
Please take note of the Global Countdown (also linked on the first page), the Landing Site (main page of the Mix Challenge) and the World Clock at the top of the forum (index).
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've reworked my mix even though I didn't make it to the next round. Since the deadline is over, I hope it's okay to post my reworked mix here. If not, I'll delete it of course. If someone finds time to write me a little feedback about my mix, I would be happy. Thank you very much!
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/stoa8w8tsq0u9y ... B.mp3?dl=0
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Hello Al B.,
I just listened to your mix and I like it.
I like these snappy snare very much. For me your mix sounds very balanced. only in the end, after the silent part,
it is running out of balance. maby a bit to much distortion on the vocals. nice reverb. well done mix.
cheers - Sandro
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Sandro wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 22:51 CEST
Hello Al B.,
I just listened to your mix and I like it.
I like these snappy snare very much. For me your mix sounds very balanced. only in the end, after the silent part,
it is running out of balance. maby a bit to much distortion on the vocals. nice reverb. well done mix.
cheers - Sandro
Thanks for the flowers, I think you are absolutely right with your criticisms. Cheers!
Tapwater

Post by Tapwater »

:)
Last edited by Tapwater on Tue Oct 30, 2018 17:48 CET, edited 1 time in total.
fajebru

Post by fajebru »

Hey,

sooo I know, it took a while, but I just couldn't fit it in my calendar the way I wanted it. Finally found the time for the evaluation!
I know, there has been a lot of discussion about my missing feedbacks and I could go on arguing about that, but maybe it was my fault too accept being a mix challenge client again even though my spare time got less and less in the past year. I could have known, that I won't put in that much energy into the mix challenge, as it deserves. So I apologize for that! I hope I didn't make too many people step away from this forum, because it is in fact still awesome and deserves this growing participation it got in the past challenges.

Sorry again!

Still though, here are the winners for this mix challenge!

1. Drumwizard
2. Philk
3. Tapwater

Feedback Round 2:

Drumwizard
I’m a fan of the vibe this song gets with your mix. I love the pumpin coming in the chorusses, love the grunge. The vocal effect is very well fitting and bringing the song to life. You’ve perfectly implemented my feedback of round 1 in the song!

dobebon
I’m still a fan of this snare, but it just didn’t got the right place in the rest of the mix. In the first round, it was standing out a lot, and the mix missed that thickness and warmth in the higher bass and lower mid region. Now the mix did get a little more of that, and the snare is working its way into there. Interstingly, I found the chorusses and the Outro to be a lot wider than in the previous version. That surprised me, but I like it!

philk
I really like the thickness of your mix! You saved a lot of the nasality that was there in the first round. There are some artifacts that may have come with there. Like the vocals that sound very de-essed now. I am an absolute fan of the Bridge now and still love this delay at the end of it, especially cause it makes this ‚drop‘ come a little more unexpected at this point.

Tapwater
The approaches to the points I mentioned maybe could have been a little more aggresive. Still a touch too much de-essing, the toms are still a tiny touch too loud for my taste. I love the new way in the Bridge of making it small! Completly different too what I was thinking of, but I love the way it is just thin and weird and boxy, what makes the impact of the outro come way huger than before.

vintage
I like the reverb in the verse better now. Still would love the guitars to be fatter and more aggresive. Still a good mix tho!

MOA22
Snare is better now, maybe could get more aggresion after all, but improved. Toms are still a touch too loud, other than that, I still like the mix!

3ee
I hope I didn’t mess something up with the files, but you changed quite a lot, didn’t you?? I liked the drums way more better in the first mix. Something clicky got to the kick that was way less in the first round. Maybe 2k or something? Maybe a compressor thats a tiny bit too fast? I like the new FX on the vocals way better tho!

Mork
Still love the drums. Maaybe still a little more compression-aggression in the verses, but still love the way they hit the chorusses and the outro. I liked the vocals in the verses a bit more without this delay, but I like the approach! :)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC047 September 2018 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!

The Winners Podium is
1) Drumwizard
2) Philk
3) Tapwater

We perform with the usual - please select one license out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name, mail address and your plugin selection.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.

To the songwriters among us, the Songwriting Competition 14 is still up and running. You can find it here:
http://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11

And a desperate cry for help:

The Song Pool is dry. We have no more material for future Mix(ing) Challenges (game ends end of October).
Please reach out! (FAQ on the Song Pool Campaign page)