2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC049 November 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
jetwolf

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC049 November 2018 - Submissions until 21-11-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by jetwolf »

Henrik Hjortnaes wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 21:10 CET
Jetwolf, amazing stuff! :shock: Your story that is, not your mix, because I haven't listened yet. I will! :smile:
Henrik, don't get your hopes up too high on my mix.....a country mile can be pretty far! 😁
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC049 November 2018 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 22nd November 2018, 2:50am GMT+1/CET - the first Mix Round has officially ended

A very warm welcome to all new participants. So many new faces. And a huge thank you to everyone that is spreading the word about the Mix Challenge. Please keep doing so, we need way more participants for the Songwriting Competition(s), and more audio content.

Statistics will be edited in later, sorry for the inconvenience (working on a bigger update). We have no submissions after the deadline. But we have plenty of tracks that lack documentation.

Keep in mind, this can and will result in a disqualification.

Please check all if your links again, make them downloadable(!, updated rules on SoundCloud links). Those that uploaded MP3s only, please take note: providing a FLAC (on low bandwidth)/WAV (on DSL and higher) file is mandatory. Please also update your posts with documentation for others to learn from (see Rules & Guidelines).

I now open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however.

Please watch this spot for the client feedback and Mix Round 2 participant announcement.

Good luck to all participants.

:arrow: The Songwriting Competition 15 (SWC15) is still in full swing.
The deadline is 24th November 2018, 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST - so far there have been 2 entries - let's really try to exceed 10.

Please spread the word!
Jiankastereo

Post by Jiankastereo »

Hello everyone

This is my entry. I appreciate any feedback or comment. Hope you like it.

My mix:

wav: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_6j_km ... sp=sharing

mp3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qSursu ... sp=sharing

Drums: Just use eq on each channel, a gate to eliminate some background noises, a compressor and some reverb and delay in snare and cymbals.

Bass: Eq compressor and just a touch of delay.

Guitars: Eq a gate to eliminate some noises, a compressor and then just a little bit of reverb and delay.

Vocal: Eq, compressor, a saturator and a touch of reverb.

Mix Buss: Just a compressor and a vu meter.
Henrik Hjortnaes

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes »

Mister Fox wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 02:51 CET
But we have plenty of tracks that lack documentation.
Keep in mind, this can and will result in a disqualification.
Please clarify to me: mix submissions lacking documentation at deadline are disqualified?
delicate

Post by delicate »

I've updated my oiriginal post with information on the mix, as promised.
loupi

Post by loupi »

after a couple of days of leaving the song alone, i've been listening to some of the other entries as well as my own.
overall i find the mixes very quiet. i did not use any limiting and i'm peaking well below 0db and still my mix sounds loud in comparison to most other mixes. i'm a little surprised.
as well i found that the bass often dominated mixes. although being the driving force of the groove i feel it's role is more subtle, in the background. i chose the drums to be more dominant, cause for me it's the drums that make they make my head nod.
listening to other mixes with often more reverb and/or delay, i feel i might want to add some more depth to the main vocal in my own mix though...
for giving specific feedback, i felt that probably it is often more a question of taste. there are some great mixes out there (i really like the original mix also), so 'bon courage' judging!
iMax

Post by iMax »

overall i find the mixes very quiet. i did not use any limiting and i'm peaking well below 0db and still my mix sounds loud in comparison to most other mixes. i'm a little surprised.
The recommendation is to target around -18dBFS, as mentioned in the rules. I was not able to check if you mix was louder than the others, because your dropbox link takes me to my own dropbox home directory. I think you did not create a public link there, correct?
loupi

Post by loupi »

thanks a lot imax for your reaction. i did indeed forget to create a public link. i think i did so now (hope it's not too late):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2769euruugplx ... v.wav?dl=0
jeffssoloband

Post by jeffssoloband »

loupi wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 20:06 CET
overall i find the mixes very quiet
Perhaps you should make use of the volume knob. I assume whatever you are listening on has one.
davemcisaac

Post by davemcisaac »

loupi wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 20:06 CET
overall i find the mixes very quiet. i did not use any limiting and i'm peaking well below 0db and still my mix sounds loud in comparison to most other mixes. i'm a little surprised.. i did not use any limiting and i'm peaking well below 0db and still my mix sounds loud in comparison to most other mixes. i'm a little surprised.
I've included a screenshot of your entry's stats. If peaking @ -0.01dB is what you consider to be "well below 0db", mission accomplished. :hihi: The -0.01dB peak actually translates to +0.02dB TP and an Integrated LUFS of -12.3. In the Mastering Challenge, the target is -14LUFS with a maximum allowed digital peak of -1dBTP. So, yes, compared to most other mixes, yours does seem a bit loud. It would even be considered too loud for a Mastering Challenge entry.

Otherwise, it is still a very pleasant mix! :grin:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... 9dVV51Hmzy