2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC049 November 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
sto

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC049 November 2018 - Submissions until 21-11-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by sto »

liberator_x wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 23:40 CET
Heres my mix:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1e2oJD ... Rh_y2X-aL0
Sounds good to me! Much more intimate than the vision I have, but I like it that way too. Everything sounds nice and balanced. Perhaps the vocal could sit a tad better, but that's really just nit-picking.
sto

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC049 November 2018 - Submissions until 21-11-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by sto »

guiZgui wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 15:07 CET
So this is my first entry on your Mix Challenge !

My MIX: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lR9Vf ... M9zeBBwXmy
I like this mix too. It's more like how I would approach it, room-wise. Not much to complain.
sto

Post by sto »

OctopusOnFire wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 21:59 CET
Here's my mix, I went for a natural sound with plenty of character and weight. I tried to take the best things of the performance and let them shine naturally.

MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f12th ... P6G2etSGPB
Hi! Your mix sounds to me as if the band was playing in a different room (or behind a thick curtain). IMO it needs some more work on the overall frequency and volume balance.
ManuC

Post by ManuC »

Hi to all,

There is my entry:

WAV:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7guf3zxz7x6rh ... C.wav?dl=0

MP3, if it's needed:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0tkrlbq6wdjv ... C.mp3?dl=0

For the mix process, there is a simple way :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fnpczulz51h8 ... 3.png?dl=0

First, i make a rough mix ("mise à plat" in the photo) just by adjusting levels.

After this, i apply some eq on the tracks, then a good amount of Slap-back delay for the voice and guitars, to create a vintage bluesy atmosphere.

I apply some compression for the voice, the guitar solos parts and the bass, to match with overall dynamic.

A different amount of chamber lexicon plug on some tracks, to create some depth.

On the master bus, just a light amount of compression with ssl comp waves plugin to glue.

When mixing,I compare with the rough mix, to have just more clear and detailed sound, a little of ambiance, but no drastic change.

This is a one hour mix process.

Good mixing for al participants, and thank to Moe Joe and MIX CHALLENGE team for that great song and great site.

Musical greetings

ManuC
sto

Post by sto »

I decided to do a quick mix myself for fun. Might do some more tweaking and fine-tuning in the next couple of days, but this demonstrates the direction I chose.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/soesp860pqe9y ... 3.mp3?dl=0

And here conforming to the desired naming scheme:

MP3 Version
FLAC version

Great song, guys!

Will try to provide some documentation later. Must find the project and check what I did first.

EDIT:
Here's a quick list of the basic actions I took:

- Bass:
-- EQ boost around 2 kHz
-- 1176 and LA2A
-- Decapitator

- Drums:
-- Added a snare sample
-- Decapitator on the drum bus
-- parallel compression on kick bus and snare sample
-- Tube Tech Classic Channel on Kick

- Guitars:
-- Some light re-amping using bx_rockrack
-- light compression (1176) on bus with medium attack
-- solo section: LA2A + Satin, light EQ (mostly low shelve and some more bottom)

- Vocals:
-- 1176, LA72, SATIN, minimal EQ (low shelve, some attenuation around 500 Hz, tiny boost around 2-4 kHz)
-- Decapitator
-- MicroShift

Plate Reverb on all busses, some EchoBoy delay. On vocal: EchoBoy, H-Delay, Pro-C for side-chain ducking, concert hall

Nothing spectacular. Just a very quick and rough fun mix.
Last edited by sto on Fri Nov 16, 2018 18:42 CET, edited 2 times in total.
delicate

Post by delicate »

Greetings!

Here is my mix for the MC049 challenge.
Overall
— Every channel had bx_console doing the default highpass at 31.5 with randomized TMT.
— I also used Studio One Console Shaper's crosstalk (4%) on each individual channel.

Drums
Kick
— I gated indivudual kicks, blended them together in a bus with Kick_1 being several dBs louder.
— On the Kick bus I added a little bit of subsonics with P&M Clarisonix
— Used a Stock EQ: high pass at 22hz, increased 5 db at 80hz, scooped the low mids, made the attack brighter at 7.8khz, and notched 2.17khz.
— 5 db compression with Novatron

Snare
— grouped in a bus, added some low mid body with Clarisonix
— high passed at 86hz, -3.4db at 278hz, wide boost at 2.5khz
— compressed with Novatron and hard clipped the transients

Hihats
— saturated with Omega 458a
— high passed, low passed at 19k, notch at 2.7khz
— panned 30% to the left

Overheads
— saturated with Omega 458a
— ended up with a pretty drastic EQing. I wanted OH to provide clarity and just that — so I removed lots of low mid bleed which was muddying the sound to my ears.
— increased stereo spready by 44%.

Room
— Ended up muting this mic. I wanted highs to be very light and the room just made it so heavy.
— Instead, for some ambiance I sent kick and snare to a high passed reverb with narrowed stereo spread.

DRUM BUS
— 2db compression with Solid Bus Comp for some cohesion.

Bass
— distorted and EQed with REDDI
— additionally compressed with Novatron at FET settings (but now I think an opened attack would sound better).
— narrow scoop at 250hz and a wider scoop at 550hz with stock EQ.
— 3db compression at 60hz (dynamic EQ) side-chained from the kick bus with fastest settings that did not produce any artifacts.

Guitars
— I refrained from individual processing to have a more similar sound on both lead and rhytm.
— Several EQs in series, though most processing was done with Lidnell TE-100 (I used 'Screaming Guitars' preset and tweaked it) — overall low mid cut, some body below 240hz, and huge boosts for high mids.
— heavily compressed with Kush UBK-1 in parallel.
— notched 2.25khz and 3.52khz
— sent to a TSAR-1R reverb, 70ms predelay. reverb was EQ with the Abbey Road trick.

Vocals
— aggressive FET leveling with Novatron, followed by MJUC with a 3-to-5 db reduction
— some notching at high midrange (above 2k as I recall), since it was too harsh to my ears. I also statically boosted and dynamically ducked this range with a dynamic EQ.
— was fattened up with Waves Doubler
— sent to a 2.2s plate reverb with a little distortion and compression.

MASTER BUS
— 2db compression with Solid Bus Comp (10ms/0.1sec, linked for a more centered sound)
— substantial shelf boost with Lindell TE-100 from 4k
— reduced 2db at 200hz
— half db of THD with Softube Tape

The post was updated on November, 25 with information on my approach to the mix.
Last edited by delicate on Sun Nov 25, 2018 07:14 CET, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

sto wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:40 CET
I decided to do a quick mix myself for fun. Might do some more tweaking and fine-tuning in the next couple of days, but this demonstrates the direction I chose.
Please keep the rule set in mind - your entry is final.

Also - thank you for giving feedback already, but please let's keep the overall feedback until the initial mix round is over - this also adds to the readability of the thread
stilespod

Post by stilespod »

Great tune and very fun to mix!! Thanks for the opportunity

here are my mix notes

Drums— Waves J37 on every track, general EQ, no bus compression

Bass— Waves j37, Hi-Pass around 40hz

Guitars— Waves J37, general EQ, Hi Pass around 100hz, Spring reverb on guitar Buss

Vocals— UAD 1176 set very lightly to catch some peaks, mild slow compressor after, plate reverb on vocal buss

Master Bus, SSL G Series Bus Comp, about 2 db of Gain reduction, Waves J37 for tape vibe

Wav

MP3
sto

Post by sto »

Mister Fox wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 03:11 CET
sto wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:40 CET
Please keep the rule set in mind - your entry is final.

Also - thank you for giving feedback already, but please let's keep the overall feedback until the initial mix round is over - this also adds to the readability of the thread
Sorry, I misinterpreted that - did not realize that posts in this forum are actually considered to be submissions for the contest.

Which is fine with me though, I did this mix just for fun between two other mixes, and I didn't spend more than 40 minutes on it. Had not really intended to submit anything at all. :)

Anyway ... I guess that means I should add some documentation on my approach when I find the time to take a look at the project again.
yoruhitp

Post by yoruhitp »

I will participate this time as well. I like R & B so I had a very challenging job.

mp3: https://colabo-share.s3-ap-northeast-1. ... ruhitp.mp3
wav: https://colabo-share.s3-ap-northeast-1. ... ruhitp.wav
  • Drums
    • Kick1
      We are making EQ emphasizing attack. The compressor is also setting to emphasize the attack.
    • Kick2
      I am making EQ emphasizing bass. The compressor is set to produce sound pressure.
    • SnrTop
      We are making EQ emphasizing attack. The compressor is also setting to emphasize the attack.
    • SnrBot
      I am doing EQ that emphasizes the sound of Snappy. The compressor is also set to emphasize snappy sounds.
    • OverHeads
      It is the basis of drum sound quality. From Kick to cymbal, I'm making EQ like balanced sound quality.
    • Room
      Reverberation sound is added by applying room reverb to the original Room sound. I mix it with drum dry sound.
  • Bass
    I use two same sound sources and one for DI. The other one boosts the bass through the amp simulator.
  • Guitars
    A little medium and bass is added by EQ. We also add moderate Slap Delay and Reverb.
    GTR 1 uses volume automation.
  • Vocal
    I cut 80 Hz with HPF. Since there was a peak in the midrange, we are processing with EQ.
    Plate reverb plug-in adds moderate reverberation sound.
I accept any mixing opportunities.
Mysite: https://www.umasan.org