2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC051 February 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
davemcisaac

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC051 February 2019 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by davemcisaac »

:phones: How are your ears holding out? :tu: or :td:
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Because of the matched gain pretty good actually !
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Hi,
Here is the PDF file of my reviews/ranking. Decided to leave the ranking in it. I thought it was nice to be able to compare yourself to others. Don't be offended to be under-ranked, it's a matter of taste. I wish I could have had more feedback on my mixes in the past.
Mix Review MC051

It was a lot of listening and sorting work, I had to go back several times to make sure that I had a homogeneous evaluation of the mixes. Finally I am quite happy with my choice. Congratulations to all who participated, I had a great time with all of you! It is a difficult experience, but really instructive and organic on understanding the peak/loudness ratio. It is no coincidence that many of the mixes in the top 10 are close to the target. This is the best way to provide nuance, a good signal-to-noise ratio, and relatively sufficient loudness. For the 61 mixes that are not selected, the quality is not at all the same. There are people among you who did the job, but who didn't have enough to convince me, who didn't follow a direction that would work for me.
There are others who are there to learn and progress. I was able to write something for everyone. To conclude, and with the experience lived in this challenge, I would like to give you these tips, do with it what you want:
- have a reference song to be sure of your tonal balance. Especially if you can't trust your equipment.
- spend the necessary time on the balance before doing anything on the mix.
- keep in mind that the mix has to combine a multitude of elements to form a whole, it's a little weird to talk about glue all the time but it's a bit like that.
- try to imagine a real or fictional space.

The 10 winners were chosen according to my taste, I have no pretension on being better than anyone here!

Congrats to Dobedon, Drumwizard, Emil Biscan, Fix in the Mix, Jonaslasse, Koki21, Mork, Octopus in Fire, Photonic and Youruhitp !

Try to listen to all the mixes that go through the second round (including mine) to get a good idea of what I need. You all convinced me, but not necessarily for the same reason.

One thing: listen carefully to the end of my mix and you will know that the last vocal track, at the end (kind of ad lib), definitely should not be in front.

Good luck!!!!!!!
GGermaine

Post by GGermaine »

Thanks for providing feedback and all the time spent analyzing all the mixes.. I really like the spreadsheet idea. It's nice to see the rankings to see where I ended up. Congrats to all those moving on to round 2!
stu b

Post by stu b »

Yeah, thanks for going to so much trouble doing this, your feedback is much appreciated. Also thanks for supplying such a great song, really enjoyed myself on this one. Cheers, Stu.
delicate

Post by delicate »

MOA22, thank you for the evaluation!
Nice approach with this spreadsheet—hopefully this will be our go-to one from now.

I've actually remixed the track from scratch an hour after my submission. Let me know if it's possible to send it to you in PM for a brief commentary—though I completely understand if you are too tired from those 71 sumbissions.. :)

Lots of good mixes going to R2. Have fun guys!
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Thank you MOA22 for the evaluation and review is appreciated ,very nice spreadsheet is so helpful , good luck for R2 guys .
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, MOA22.

Let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Saturday, 09-MAR-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 10 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order)

Dobedon
Drumwizard
Emil Biscan
Fix in the Mix
Jonaslasse
Koki21
Mork
Octopus in Fire
Photonic
Youruhitp

A thank you to everyone, and good luck for Round 2
Emil Biscan

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC051 February 2019 - Mix Round 2 until 08-03-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Emil Biscan »

Hello everyone,

I would like to congratulate all those who have applied for the competition, especially those who have gone to the second round. :clap:

In the second round I tried to hold the advice that you gave me.

I boosted the 160Hz on the snare by 1.7 dB , and I turned down the reverb a little bit. I also shortened the length of the reverb.

In order for the first solo to sit better in the mix I did a little bit more compression and added a little subtle delay.

For the verse vocals i chose to turn on the input gain so the 1176 do the job to put the vocal little bit in front.

It was really fun to mix this song.

Good luck and let the best win

Here is my mix: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CPyiU ... 3Jbe8Bzs65

best regards
Emil
s&f

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC051 February 2019 - Mix Round 2 until 08-03-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by s&f »

great feedback MOA22. I loved it! thanks!