2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!
Also great to read that you're back and on your way to recovery, morelia.

The Winners Podium is
1) Paperthin
2) GGermaine
3) CarlosB

We perform with the usual - please select one license out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name, email address and your plugin selection.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.

The Songwriting Competition 021 is still in full swing. Please don't miss the deadlines.
viewforum.php?f=11
paperthin

Post by paperthin »

Wow, frankly I'm speechless.

There were many strong mixes in MC053 and I'd like to thank every contestant, I've learned a great deal from just listening to your entries.
Thank you, Morelia, it was a pleasure working on your song, I'm glad our tastes were similar. It was an immense amount of work you did wading through all the entries, and I appreciate it greatly. Hope you're doing well health-wise. Wishing you a quick and full recovery!

And a special thanks to our stern moderator Mister Fox! What you're doing is remarkable :tu:

I'd like to claim Metric Halo's Character plugin, it looks like it could be helpful. Thanks everyone once again! Cheers :wink:
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

First of all congratulation to the winners , I'm just listened to all the 3 winners very carefully !! but I'm really start to confuse right now !! i don't know how i can start my point but all i want to say to myself right now and to everyone who start to study audio mixing Don't use a Mix challenge results as reference !! it's matter of taste from the client ! hope to see you soon guys .
GGermaine

Post by GGermaine »

Wow!!
I'm thrilled to be on the podium!
Thanks Morelia for a great song to mix, and I hope you are on your way to a complete recovery.
There were phenomenal mixes in this group, and I'm sure it was a time-consuming, daunting task to narrow it down.

For my prize, I'll take the Hornet Multicomp Plus MK2 plugin.
Thanks again!
Gary
paperthin

Post by paperthin »

Wizzo wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 16:04 CEST
Don't use a Mix challenge results as reference !! it's matter of taste from the client !
Good point, couldn't agree more! Set the bar higher and reference real commercial mixes. Taste will always be a variable, but that's the rule of the market – the client has to be satisfied, the rest is secondary :shrug:
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Good point, couldn't agree more! Set the bar higher and reference real commercial mixes. Taste will always be a variable, but that's the rule of the market – the client has to be satisfied, the rest is secondary :shrug:
Hi Paperthin , congrats , great mix really you and all the other , let me back to my point , (no any hard feeling guys) you are just an example
what kind rule of the market you mentioned to put a honky sound mix before the unbeatable sound mix ? again i'm talking to the sound not to any person here, we are all here just for learning , and the site results drive me confused sometimes coz it's ignore all what we could learn from any big names in the industry .
morelia

Post by morelia »

I get it. But in my opinion, the honky sound mix you referred to had qualities that put it ahead. You are absolutely right, it is really the client that decides based on their opinion, experience and critical listening skills. I don't claim to get it right but I assure you no one can tell you what I like better than me. As an example, the 4th place mix was really good and it took a lot of listening to take it out. As I said the mix was great but the vocal takes were such that the vocal mix lacked much of the energy of others. I could go on but like you already said it is my opinion that brought us here and others will always vary to some extent.
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

I'm really glad to hear that you're in the way for full recovery; you’re totally free for sure ,But in the same time I can’t rely %100 in client skills because I have very different measurements I have to Respect ! The client’s experiences means nothing when he make an injudicious decision by mistake ,This forum for learning, so we leave our files, documents, snapshots for reference , so things like that should be aware of when you chose the final podium. for the sake of learning please , to every client ask sound engineer / as a second opinion, trusted him maybe he has a very long time experience than you , your passion it will be delivered but in his way. It’s good for the production as well. Thank you sir for your song ,
I hope you find my message well.Thank you Mr Fox for all your efforts . See you guys in the next challenge .
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

just for inspiration, and because I like this song. many thanks to you, morelia. all the best to your health!
congrats to the winners. I learn more by listening to your work.

I hope it is appropriate to contribute another mix, I regret I did not have more spare time, while application was still valid.

some of the entries were to me a little bit less exciting, because the technical quality did overshadow the production and performance.
some comrades had amazing sound effects that might still want some taming and fine-tune. not all effects for me did serve the song.

I'd like the emotion and performance to come out as raw as possible, and the techniques should not become visible at all.
my desire was to make it appear as if it is a fully organic flow and very alive, and to bring on top the personality of the artist.
when someone says, the mix is bad but the song is fire and he loves the artist for it, then I have won.

...vinyl head-bang fun...
so, it should sound more on the "live" side, as there are little timing glitches here and there and I didn't choose to do time-editing.
so I used lots of live-and-trashy sounding reverb to gloss over.

the best impact came with fader automation, I did this until I could forget all the distinct sounds and issues and low-fi surface, and only feel the music.
so take it loud.

I might comment and explain a bit more, later on, please those who will listen, ask me any question.

the intro I thought was the audioslave thing. there are no rules to synthesize "audioslave". what I found in most mixes about the intro sound, didn't catch me, so I just took the original tracks, gave them a room impulse, and used them for a very simple build-up of a soundscape into the real start. and for messing up the intro, I also stole the hiss, that occurred with some processing of the gang vocals. :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BLoVh5 ... sp=sharing

morelia, please can I use my mix by giving the link to friends and possible clients in aquisition?
morelia

Post by morelia »

White Punk OD wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 05:33 CEST
morelia, please can I use my mix by giving the link to friends and possible clients in aquisition?
I have no idea if that is a smart thing for me to say yes to or not. I'm inclined to say yes as long as all my information is included in the ID Tag (is there a way to lock that information?).

Before I say yes that is fine I would just like to hear from others if there are any issues I should be aware of. I'll let you know as soon as I can.