2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
morelia

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Winners announced

Post by morelia »

Another question I have, what should I do if I upload the song to youtube or similar, with regard to paperthin being a part of the process now?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I'm not a Youtube expert, but giving full credits (as in: all involved musicians and technicians) should always be the case. Ideally even set a private agreement (via mail) regarding rules, monetization, etc. You as song provider has the definite rights and final word on what happens to your material.
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

morelia wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 06:19 CEST
White Punk OD wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 05:33 CEST
morelia, please can I use my mix by giving the link to friends and possible clients in aquisition?
I have no idea if that is a smart thing for me to say yes to or not. I'm inclined to say yes as long as all my information is included in the ID Tag (is there a way to lock that information?).

Before I say yes that is fine I would just like to hear from others if there are any issues I should be aware of. I'll let you know as soon as I can.
ok thx for considering, I will gladly wait.

I think, the file name is the only reliable thing, because any player software can do anything with the tags, and most times tags in WAV format are not even supported. not sure if I would propose my help on the base of an mp3.
not working audio for a living, very small circle of friends and ex band comrades.

morelia we fly
in google brings your official song on page 2. after those "book flight from Tijuana to Morelia, Mexico" entries :)
Thus of course I would keep the above in the file name, and any further suggestion by you.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

@Mister Fox What rights does the contestant actually have? Can the contestant insist that his mix should not be used for publication but only for the learning experience of the contest? Can the author of the tracks use a mix for publication without the consent of the mixer? Can the contestant publish his mix on Soundcloud, Youtube etc. for free (no monetization) without the consent of the author?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

In short:

The songwriter has all the rights to accept/decline any non-sanctioned re-releases of his material on other places, doesn't matter if it's not monetized. This was one of the reason why Soundcloud was dropped for the Mix(ing) Challenge. Especially since SoundCloud has a constantly shifting TOS.

The Songwriter (in turn also) needs to reach out to the Mix Engineer and ask for permission as well. In the real world, a "free mix" released without the consent of the engineer would also mean "non-sanctioned", and is considered to be a "bad move" (which can result in you getting a bad reputation among engineers). If it was a paid mass engineer shootout, then the client can (technically) do whatever he/she wants.

I thought the rules have been made clear on that end. If not, let me know in the Gossip thread, and it'll be addressed in even more detail in the Rules and Guidelines in the future.
cmbsa

Post by cmbsa »

Wow, that's great! Really happy to have made it on the podium! And of course congrats to paperthin and GGermaine. Also to Mr Fox, thanks for making this possible.
Morelia, I'll happily post my vocal chain and process in detail here again, soon, hopefully it can be of use to you in future projects.

Mr Fox, I'll go for the MH precision deesser if it is still available.

many thanks again, & I hope you get well very soon, Morelia

btw: I'd be fine with you distributing/making public my version of the mix.
cmbsa

Post by cmbsa »

one more thing:
sorry for the name/username confusion. Because I had trouble like everyone else finding the right song versions :)
Had it said Username instead of Contestant Name (see MC000_ArtistName_TrackName_ContestanttName.wav etc...), I would have used my username, but like this I was hesitant...
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Licenses form Metric Halo and Hornet Plugins have already been taken. Sorry.
morelia

Post by morelia »

cmbsa wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 14:30 CEST
Morelia, I'll happily post my vocal chain and process in detail here again, soon, hopefully it can be of use to you in future projects.

btw: I'd be fine with you distributing/making public my version of the mix.
Thanks very much look forward to it. Appreciate your distribution statement as well.
cmbsa

Post by cmbsa »

Mister Fox wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 07:21 CEST
Licenses form Metric Halo and Hornet Plugins have already been taken. Sorry.
No problem, I'll go with Deverberate from Acon Digital then. thanks!