2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
OctopusOnFire

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 02:01 CEST

But we do have to adhere to the rules at some point, everyone.
I wholeheartedly agree with this.
morelia

Post by morelia »

Mork upload if you want as I have no issue. Don't want, to rub anyone the wrong way though so if unsure maybe hold a top 10 vote. I'm still in a lot of post surgery pain so won't get to it for a week or so.
GGermaine

Post by GGermaine »

I have no problem with that.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hi !

Little mood word.

I can not help but react to some anomalies in the good running of the Mix Challenges contests.
Since the beginning of the year 2019, I see all kinds of attempts to escape the rules set :

- Attempt to use samples (MC 053 guiZgui)
- Guitar sound problems that do not please (intro MC053 for AI B.)
- Adjustment pitch request
- Absence of R2 or late which should be considered disqualification but which begins
to be derogated (Mork -MC05- asked 1 more day for R2 and now he forgot to post
the R2 of MC053 we ask for him if we can consider that the R1 can replace the R2)...
- The username on the forum doesn’t match up with the name submitted to the entry.......

Well, I stop there. All of these questions should not even be relevant.

If there are rules it is to be respected. If we begin to grant a derogation to one,
we will be obliged to grant others.

Mister Fox said (MC053) : “we have to adhere to the rules at some points, everyone”

And ??

To finish, after two months since the beginning of the MC052 contest, there is still
no answer for the R2 from the song provider !

Sorry for this post but this development seems necessary to me for Mix Challenges
can allow us to work and especially to learn in good conditions. Too bad if I get hated.

Cheers

Franz
kevin gobin

Post by kevin gobin »

Hi Franz,

You will not be hated.

However I regret my post now that everyone gets upset.

I just asked if a R1 submission could be considered as a R2. I never asked for any other derogation because, just like you and others here, I like rules to be rules, not party time. So I would not like that he posts a R2 mix.

I would also not like a "top 10 vote" or anything else, the client has to be the only judge.

I also do not like when the results are long to come, but here Morelia has a good excuse, and he was excellent with his R1 fast and precise comments, so I am sure he will give us R2 results when he can.

So far no rules are broken in the MC053, no problem. :whiteflag:
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hi Kevin !

Thank you for your answer.

In fact I realized a blur about my thought “To finish, after two months since the beginning of the MC052 contest,
there is still no answer for the R2 from the song provider ! “

I was not alluding to Moriela, whom I congratulate on the way for his extraordinary speed in
analyzing all the mixes in round 1 and also good convalescence but I spoke only of "OLLY AUDIO"
who still did not give the result of R2, two months after the start of the contest.....
I find him a little bizzare (as its title elsewhere)

Cheers

Franz
GGermaine

Post by GGermaine »

I do agree that "rules are rules" and need to be enforced, however, in defense of Mork, Morelia did such a fast, amazing job getting R2 contestants announced so early that I can understand how someone could have missed it. I was glad I logged in when I did, as I was very surprised to see it done so quickly. (again - AMAZING work Morelia!!). I am DEFINITELY not criticizing Morelia here - I wish all song providers would be so quick! It was just unusual compared to other contests.
My point is that I think that all 3 dates should be announced at the beginning of the contest (R1 due date, R2 contestants announced, R2 winner announced). Each song provider would commit to these dates at the onset, and would give their results when they are completed Mr Fox to post, so he would do so on that specific date. This way, we could all better plan, and there would be no excuse for late entries. Just food for thought. I don't want to throw more on Mr Fox's plate though, as he is already doing so much to maintain this site.
With that said, I do believe that rules should be enforced (IE NO MASTERING. I think you should be disqualified if your LUFS is out of an acceptable range because it can effect how it is being judged).
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hi GGermaine,

Absolutely agree with you.

Your remarks are common sense and positive in addition.
I will remember mainly that the title in competition should not be mastered but only mixed
and above all it would be necessary to admit a maximum level for the LUFS
(some sites of competitions in France such as "Moja" or "Mixage Fou" imposes it)
In this way everyone would be on the same sound level. It would really be a good decision
and would bring order to the running of the competition.
What think Mister Fox about that ? ( I salute him by the way and who has a lot of work
to maintain the site and I congratulate him).

Cheers

Franz
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A couple of things:
  • MC052 has it's own thread, let's not deviate
  • announcing fixed dates for "when evaluation has been done and when the next rounds start" is admirable to set, but effectively not possible. Because "life" is a thing, and not everyone works as efficiently
  • I could add "dates and deadlines" in the first posts, but I already change the thread titles to make it as quick-to-notice as possible
  • we have a "topic subscription" option in the forum. Read up on the Forum FAQ here, I've also mentioned this in the last newsletter. Plus, the rounds are announced on social media
I understand the frustration - but I chose this forum type for the Mix Challenge because of the simplicity and certain built in features. I could look around and see if I can activate an "auto subscribe" once you post in a certain thread. But I'd rather have you opt-in on that particular setting, rather than me opt-in for you. Signing up to the forum and automatically getting signed up to the newsletter (which is part of the forum engine) is a whole different topic.

:!: As to enforcing rules:
You know my opinion on this. The rule set for Mix Round 2 is existing for 50+ games now. The the bigger the community is getting, the more strict I have to be in order to be fair for everyone. I sometimes make exceptions on special events or holidays. But we have to draw a line at some point. I'm sorry that this feels inconvenient to you.

Either way - if you got more feedback, please do so here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8

Else, please sit back and wait for the results.
Mix Challenge 54 and Songwriting Competition 21 are still in full swing as well.
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Mork »

kevin gobin wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 06:32 CEST
Hello,

I just want to ask if you can please consider Mork R1 mix as a valid one for R2?

Unless of course anyone disagree with that, I think it would be fair. I just do not know what the rules state in this case.
Hi,

I just wanted to check how the challenge is going and saw that. Thanks for the suggestion Kevin, but I missed the deadline and now I am out. That‘s cool, I can live with that. As Franz stated, I already got my little exception last time when I was under heavy workload, but this time I was just too stupid to check for the correct deadline... that deserves a spank :smack: :)