2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC33 June 2017 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
HerbFelho

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC33 June 2017 - Mix Round 2 until 27-06-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by HerbFelho »

Thanks Gary, glad you like it!
Here´s my Round 2 Mix, made the outro part bigger and did a few more detailed automation moves and smaller adjustments on the overall mix tonality. Hope this goes in the right direction.

Good luck to you all guys, there are some pretty strong mixes around, all with it´s own great unique characteristics.
Wouldn´t like to be in Gary shoe´s and pick a winner though. :headscratch:

Cheers
Herb

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0phm ... GZVc0Etcms
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0phm ... nlNU1Q5eUk
Zsolt

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC33 June 2017 - Mix Round 2 until 27-06-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by Zsolt »

Hi Gary!
Thanks for the feedback and for choosing my mix to go on to Round 2.
Here´s my round 2 mix:
mp3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0b4v3erno2ch2 ... t.mp3?dl=0
wav: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qo2mom2mrfz9k ... t.wav?dl=0

Good luck everyone!

Cheers!
Zsolt
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Mork »

Hello again,

I did what I was told to do, plus a lot more :) Had to leave the last mix early due to work and private stuff, so I hope you'll hear the improvement. And don't forget to always turn it up to 11! :cool:
FYI, there is absolutely no stereo gadget on the guitars, it's just the way you recorded them (width-wise). But I know what you mean by phasing and I hope that it's better know. There is still some minor interaction between the vocals, but hey... YOU told us about ADT :)

MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9f_r ... Ut6dEhiUFk
WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9f_r ... 25yeks5UXc

Cheers
Mork
davemcisaac

Post by davemcisaac »

Hi Gary,

I just got back home, but I know the deadline for submitting Round 2 mixes has come & gone. Maybe next time... Just wanted you to know it was a very fun song to mix and I'm sorry I wasn't able to follow through with your suggestions for Round 2.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC33 June 2017 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 28th June 2017, 7:30pm - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final results.

I apologize for the late response. But I've been mostly away from the PC in the last 48 hours.
GaryRegnier

Post by GaryRegnier »

Hi Dave, Sorry you missed the 2nd round. Glad you enjoyed the song though
All the best
Gary
GaryRegnier

Post by GaryRegnier »

Hi Guys,
Thank you for your 2nd submissions and revisions and congratulations on such a high overall standard of work. For this round I decided to listen through my Tannoy 802's as it takes a good mix to sound good on them. Before announcing the 3 winners I should say the criteria that decided it in the end was whether the vocals were to low in the mix and not projecting enough. I listened in stereo and mono when checking this and it did make me think about being careful with too much extreme panning or widening when mixing and to leave it until mastering or at least only widen certain frequency ranges. Here are my brief comments on each in order of submission.

scarango
Vocals need pushing forward a little more. Harmonies at end need more level.

Arthur Labus
Snare fixed nicely. Vocal could do with a touch more level here and there, the start of old section vocal is too low, almost missing.

FixInTheMix
Verses vocal too quiet, Chorus is better. Old section 100% fixed. Good fade out

HerbFelho .
Very good vocal projection. Good toms sound but tom 2/3 a bit loud. Good fix at the end.

Zsolt
Vocals would benefit form a little high mid EQ to make them cut through a touch more but everything very well glued together, good work.

Mork
My ears pricked up start of this one, up front, punchy, it seemed to command attention. The harmonies on the last tag lines should be louder but otherwise everything else sounded great.

There can only be 3 winners and they are HerbFelho, Zsolt and Mork. Commiserations to everyone else but I hope that most at least would agree with my choices. Thank you again to all who participated and I hope to be able to join in myself some time as a competitor.
Gary :clap:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC33 June 2017 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!

I take it the ranking is:
1) HerbFelho
2) Zsolt
3) Mork

We perform with the usual - please select one license out of the pool and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name and mail address.

I'll update the "winners podium" shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.
MC34 will start in about 30 hours from now - and please have an eye on the forum for a bigger, homepage related announcement.

In the meantime, we'd love to get more audio content for the Mix Challenge:
Just follow the official campaign...
HerbFelho

Post by HerbFelho »

Wow, thanks!!! Feels really good when people seem to like your mixes, that wasn´t always the case :wink:

Gotta say though, also Zsolt´s and Morks mixes are really great, so congratulations for that! :hail:
Mork, the clarity in your mix is fantastic, wonder how you achieved that, do you mix in mono a lot? I know I should do this more often, I´m so lazy with that...

Anyway, thanks again Gary for providing this great production, hope to so you here as a participant in one of the next challenges!
I learned a lot again!

Cheers,
Herb
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Gary, can you please confirm the order of the ranking?

If so, then Herb picked up Acon Digital's DeFilter, and the next one in line would be Zsolt to pick a free license.
I just want to rule out any possible errors and wrong addressed licenses. Once that has been sorted out, I'll get back to your PM's ASAP. :tu: