2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC054 May 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
kRisnadiza

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC054 May 2019 - Submissions until 21-05-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by kRisnadiza »

-16lufs

daw ; nuendo 4

stocks, voxengo tube amp, oxford reverb native, oxford dynamics native
Last edited by kRisnadiza on Sat Jul 24, 2021 06:49 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
Waleed Morris

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC054 May 2019 - Submissions until 21-05-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Waleed Morris »

Hello everyone ,
Very cool song , I'm started with vocal it's very dynamic used clip gain automation and ended with more consistent vocal and ready for next step.
Followed by the drums , edited 2 clip kick and fixed missing toms mic as well in the last chorus .
Bass : used softube tla-100a medium attack and release with about 5db of gain reduction , followed by eq HPF 25 / cut -2db around 350
boost around 800-1k and used saturation as well .

My submission.

MC054_Sorry Anyway_Wizzo.wav
MC054_Sorry Anyway_Wizzo.mp3
-Integrated -18.5 LUFS , TP Max -2.8dBTP (By NUGEN) , any comments or feedback are most welcome .

Cheers !
Last edited by Waleed Morris on Mon Jun 24, 2019 16:47 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
anto

Post by anto »

Hi All,
What a great track! This was fun to mix.

Here is my submission:
WAV
MP3

Plugins and sends list
Mixed in Reaper v5.978/x64 DAW

Notes
I've tried to keep the vibe of the original performance, preserve dynamic range and just clean up/enhance what's there rather
than adding any dramatic effects, re-amping, moving parts around or remixing.

The lead vocal and the drums probably received the most attention lot of volume automation used on the vocal to even out and enhance it.
I didn't use auto-tune or any other pitch correction.
The drums mostly required fixing of bleed issues with a combination of automation and some gates.

I've used a lot of gentle parallel compression (usually using a 2:1 ratio with 1-2 dB gain reduction)
and also some gentle parallel mix-bus compression (2:1 ratio, well less than 1 dB GR) to glue things together.

Short delays (both time-synced and not) were used on the vocals, guitar and keyboards and a gentle phaser effect on the keyboards.
A short ambience and a longer plate reverb were used to help glue the tracks together to the same space. There were no massive reverb effects.
In some cases, I've used transient designers to improve the smack of the snare and control the attack and sustain on the bass.
Also used Waves Vitamin to help beef up the bottom end on bass and kick.

Cleanup and preparation
1. The click track is audible before the intro so that was eliminated from all tracks
2. There is some microphonic hum that is audible on parts of the guitar part. This was eliminated using Schwa Spectro in 2 places.
3. There is a lot of bleed with the drums and most of it was treated with gates. I also swapped the stereo image for the drums
so that it matches the audience perspective (snare and HHats panned slightly right, toms spread from right (high) to left (low))
4. The sound of the trumpet player clearing some condensation after a solo was edited out with automation.
5. Pre-fx track volume was reduced in most cases to more appropriate levels to help avoid clipping.

Please feel free to ask for more details if there isn't enough information here.
Cheers,
Anto
maynat

Post by maynat »

Hello everyone, this is my first submission in this forum! This was a fun song to mix, and I can (sadly) relate very well to the lyrics :hihi:

Here are the links to my submission:
wav
mp3

I have tried to maintain the live feel of the song by adding minimal effects, and I have stuck to a plate reverb to get that 70's vibe. I have automated many parts, and used eq (TDR Nova) and compressor (Waves C1) for most tracks. Following are some specific details on a few individual elements of my mix:

Drums: Phase correction in some tracks, gating to take care of some of the mic bleeds, eq and compression on the drum bus. Plus I have mildly used a transient shaper (Waves Smack Attack) on snare.

Bass: Eq, compression, and a harmonic exciter (Avid AIR Enhancer, subtly used)

Vocals: Since vocal clarity was important for the client, I have spent a significant amount of time here. There is clip gain automation in all three vocal tracks; which then go into a vocal bus for overall eq, compression and some de-essing. Finally, the volume level of the vocal bus is automated between different sections of the song.

Master Bus: Mild eq for tonal shaping, compressor for glue, and tape saturation (Waves Kramer Tape).
Integrated loudness: -17.5 LUFS (Measured by Youlean).

Thanks for listening, and good luck everyone!
Last edited by maynat on Tue May 21, 2019 18:46 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Hi everyone,

First off, nice song to mix and listen to! I love the wind section in this kind of music, and lately I've been listening to Cake a lot, so this was a pleasant surprise.

I used my Airwindows "analog" setup. This time I didn't make a dedicated group for FX, instead each effect is in its specific group.

Every group goes, other than to the 2buss, to a parallel mix bus with some exciting and compression. I was going for that silky texture of 70s rock.
The kick leaves some space for the bass in the low end, and it smacks a little more in the mid frequencies. I didn't want to make it very kick heavy anyway, and leave the snare kind of dry (still has FX applied on it, but more subtly than usual).

As a novelty, I was trying ResEQ, which is based on using some kind of resonant bands to bring out certain frequencies and make the instrument poke out in the mix without being on top. You apply the resonances in the frequencies you want and then play around with the dry/wet. I used it on the keyboard, winds and guitar to craft the sound and place them in the mix tone-wise.

Nothing special on the voices. EQ, compression and saturation, and doubler on the BGVs to spread them out sideways

As many others did, I cleaned the drums with gates, though I didn't feel the need to mess around with any background noise on any other instrument.

So, hopefully I got a mix that fits the taste of the client and sounds good.

Here are some screenshots:

And the files:

WAV https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5za2z51nnbje ... 1.wav?dl=0
MP3 https://www.dropbox.com/s/olqwveej56vkt ... 1.mp3?dl=0

Cheers! :smile:
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Hi! Here's my mix:

HQ MP3, 44.1kHz
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/664de5hiay4d2l ... B.mp3?dl=0

HQ WAV, 48kHz, 32bit
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9866iedz2zyfx ... B.wav?dl=0

Drums: Phases adjusted
Kick Bus: Comp, EQ
Snare Bus: Comp
Toms Bus: Comp
Cymbals Bus: Comp
Overhead Bus: Comp
Room Bus: Saturation
Drums Plate: EQ, Plate, Comp
Drums Bus: Comp

Bass: Comp

E. Piano: EQ Comp
E. Guitar: Comp

Sax: Comp
Trumpet lead: EQ, Comp
Trumpet: Comp
Brass Bus: Tape Saturation

Vox Lead: Comp
Vox Double: Comp
Vox Harmony: Comp
ADT FX
Vox Bus: De-Esser

Mix Bus: Comp, 2xTape Saturation
Mange

Post by Mange »

Here´s my mix. Not that much worth mentioning regarding this mix. I found out that Kramer tape was great for smearing out those nasty clipping on the snare. Did some edits on the drum fill after the break that didnt have any close mics. Used the Waves Reel ADT on double and harmony.
No limiter on the stereobus. Did have some other processing there though. EQ and comp. Bax and FG grey. Otherwise 98% clean digital plugins with Studio Ones own mixbus summer/engine. CTC-1 in what I think is the SSL 4000 mode. (The black one)

mp3 https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jAXJ7 ... yMV_RQnbiL
wav https://drive.google.com/open?id=14Z1SO ... pFOcec86Gt

Edits, spelling, clarification
Last edited by Mange on Thu May 23, 2019 15:39 CEST, edited 3 times in total.
Snarowitz

Post by Snarowitz »

Hi, stumbled on this challenge last night, only had the afternoon to work on it. Not sure 3 or 4 hours was enough time. But, it was a great tune, and fun to work with. I'll try to get in a little earlier on the next one.

Compression and EQ where needed. reverb to taste, with some delay on leads.Summed with outboard gear.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WaSfGl ... sp=sharing

Thanks,

Steve
Marc Rapture

Post by Marc Rapture »

What's up everyone!

Great mixing challenge this month, I really enjoyed this song :phones:

The majority of the work here was focused on the vocals and drum kit. Cleaned up most of the headphone bleed, the click tracks, and gated most of the drum parts as well. Otherwise, I added your basic EQ's and compressors across most tracks. I also added some lite chorusing efx to the keys and added some sound to the bass with guitar rig to remove some of the pluckiness. I did automation to most of the tracks and added reverb as well. Slapped on a limiter and compressor to the mix buss.

Mixed in Ableton Live 10 Suite

Plug ins used:

Drum Kit: Pultec EQP-1A, Ableton EQ8, Glue compressor, Ableton Simple reverb, Gate compressor and Teletronix LA-2A compressor limiter.

Sax and Trumpets: Pultec EQP-1A, Ableton EQ8, Glue compressor, UAD RealVerb, and Manley VOXBOX.

Keys: Pultec EQP-1A, Ableton EQ8, Ableton Simple reverb, Glue compressor and UAD Brigade Chorus.

Guitar and Bass: Pultec EQP-1A, Ableton EQ8, Glue compressor, Ableton Simple reverb, and NI Guitar rig (for the Bass).

Vocals: Pultec EQP-1A, Ableton EQ8, Glue Compressor, Manley VOXBOX, UAD RealVerb, and Softtube Saturation knob

My Mix:

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/avmhrd1vmrhlz ... e.wav?dl=0

MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ub52leu178nz7 ... e.mp3?dl=0

Screenshots: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wtjyz0neeebp ... SBDsa?dl=0

Hope you enjoy my mix. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and good luck to you all, Cheers!
loupi

Post by loupi »

hey,
thanks for the opportunity mixing this nice song.

i tried to go for a controlled, cosy and cohesive sound. I used parallel compression to get the rhythm-section to interact with each other to create a nice groove. For the vocals i wanted some crooner-like vibe, i felt he has the voice for it. I felt a nice natural sounding space worked best for his voice and horns.
Drums: in the first verses i used an expander to tighten them up. went for a quite high kicksound (round 110hz) and left the the space underneeth for the bass.
Bass: cut out a little 110hz, added some texture and width.
Guitars: wanted them tight and smooth at the same time and working well with the keys
Keys: tried to make fit in well with the bass and drums
backing vocals: used a guitaramp to get a different texture as the mainvocal
Mainvocal: nebula pre-amp, tape to get a rounder and deeper sound, different stages of compression
Edits: some kick and snare-hits, de-essing and some other vocal-edits, ...

hope you enjoy!

wav file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/olcxabwdkk0ol ... v.wav?dl=0
Last edited by loupi on Tue May 21, 2019 22:47 CEST, edited 1 time in total.