2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC055 June 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Drumwizard

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC055 June 2019 - Submissions until 21-06-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Drumwizard »

Hello,

This is from Technical Details:
Kick (22inch, Remo Pinstripe)
In: Shure Beta52a, Out: Rode NT2a, Sub: Yamaha Subkick

But there's no Shure Beta52a audio file :shrug:

Oh, I see. Probably Kick Out track is Shure Beta52a :smile:

And tempo is 130 bpm.

Cool song anyway! :hihi:
martinantonsson

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC055 June 2019 - Submissions until 21-06-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by martinantonsson »

Hey!

This is my contribution to this mix challenge. Fun song to mix! Dynamic and good recording made it super fun to mix.

Wav-file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fayAB_ ... sp=sharing

Mp3-file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EInLuS ... sp=sharing

Mixed with a various Slate Digital, Waves and standard Avid Pro Tools plugins.

Drums:
Usual Aux-buses setup (Aux for each segment of the kit), doubled snare and blended a sample on Snare Top track, reverb on snare and toms, played around with some different EQ settings on the room mics to create some space.
Bass: Ran through the bass track with some SansAmp modelling to get some punch, tape-emulation, compression and blended a RBass Aux into the BassBus.
Guitars:
Sounded good from the start so basic EQ to make them more present, first 4 guitars sent to the same bus, final guitartrack sent to it's own bus, both buses sent to a reverb to create some air.
Vocals:
Virtual mix rack setup with a preamp modelling, compression, EQ. Reverb and Delay on it's own bus, individual tracks sent to reverbs.
Backvocals:
Panned Left/Right, summarised into one master Aux and used Slate Virtual mix rack to find a good balance of these vocals and sent to it's on reverb.
SubMaster:
Mixbus Aux with a subtile compression added, dynamic processed and added CLA MixDown plugin for the final touch.

This track is mastered as well with some basic EQ enhancement, dynamic processing and pushed the volume with some limiting.

Sample used for the snare otherwise all recorded files were used.

/Martin
Last edited by martinantonsson on Wed Jun 19, 2019 08:37 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Miha

Post by Miha »

Hey everyone, I'm glad to join the community ! Thanks for providing us such good resources, and mixes to tweek !
Here my submission :

Wav :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NFw_X0 ... sp=sharing
Mp3 :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b9D8PI ... sp=sharing

A few words about my general set up followed by more specific treatments for the song :

I mix in the box within Reaper (sometimes Mixbus).
I like to pay tribute to the analog world. I use essentially Softube Console 1 plugin/controller and Softube plugins along with Izotopes plugins mainly for filtering, cleaning and masterbus purposes. My tracks are almost always loaded with 1) MAutoAlign 2) Neutron 3) Console 1 (often SSL style for single tracks and API for mixbusses). Finally my monitors are KRK Rokit5.

About Kann Schon Sein :

I tried to minimize the room coloration on the voice with Proximity EQ+ and then masked it texturing the voice with Tape saturation. I'm note totally happy with this but that's the best I could do.
Along with this, the lead voice has its own send channel with a cocktail made of 1) saturation (Softube Harmonics) 2) stereo delay (TAL Dub X) 3) chorus (Tritik Echorus) 4) Reverb (Lexicon LXPPlate).

No reamping on guitars. Distorted guitars are thicken up through a TAL Dub X delay channel.
I had fun with Softube spring reverb plugin that I put heavily on the guitar 5 riffs and more subtly on distorted guitars. This was a starting point to create a ''metallic'' ambiance in the background of drum solo to add depth to this section.
My second strategy in order to make the drum solo shine was to dupplicate the room mikes, crush them with API compressor, widen them with Izotopes Imager and add that in parrallel to spice up things.

Nothing special about drums and bass treatment (I do love the Mid/side Room and Stereo/center overheads) : gate, transient shaper, eq and comp. Same for back vocals, nothing special : eq, comp, de-essing, reverb (Lexicon LXPHalll).

Most of my EQ and comp processing was done via four mixbusses : Drum Bus (drum+bass), Lead Bus (Lead voice + Guit 5), Instrument Bus (distorted + clean guitars), Back Vocal Bus (six backing vocals). Here is my set up for them : 1) TDR Slick EQ in order to get rid of muddiness, harshness and other unwanted frequency problems 2) API compressor on drum and lead busses and Summit Audio TL100A (Softube) on instrument and back vocal Busses. 3) On Instrument Bus only I have used Neutron Sculptor (to enhance guitars) 4) Tonelux Tilt (Softube) to help create depth. Those busses are volume automated in order to keep things steady and build interrest.

On master bus : 1) Neutron EQ (dynamique mode) to control 1500Hz and 4000kHz that I found a little intrusive on the overall mix, 2) Drawner S73 (Softube) compressor to glue everything 3) TubeTeh PE1C (Softube) to enhance low end and high end 4) Tape emulation plugin once again to glue and polish.

I really enjoyed mixing that tune. Feel free to feedback. Till next challenge !
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Drumwizard wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:16 CEST
Hello,

This is from Technical Details:
Kick (22inch, Remo Pinstripe)
In: Shure Beta52a, Out: Rode NT2a, Sub: Yamaha Subkick

But there's no Shure Beta52a audio file :shrug:

Oh, I see. Probably Kick Out track is Shure Beta52a :smile:

And tempo is 130 bpm.

Cool song anyway! :hihi:
This is one of several projects that were all recorded with the same setup, and then cleaned up later. What is not in the package, is not available - sorry about that.
stu b

Post by stu b »

Hi.
All tracks have FF Pro Q2, Slate Virtual Channel and Tape. Devil Loc Deluxe.
Plus - RBass and Nova TDR on kick and bass. STA Level on bass. Sie Q on snare. Gclip on toms. Echoboy on all gtrs and vocs, plus Tremolator on the melodic lead line gtr. MJUC and Elosis De-esser on vocs. Slate Stress on return for drums and bass. H Verb on return for most tracks.
Used the printed gtr tracks and added the chorus di gtrs re-amped through Recab 5.
Instrument and voc busses have Slate Bomber, Virtual console, Tape, CS and KClip.
Nothing on the 2 buss.
Thanks.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/at7x2sqg2q0uu ... v.wav?dl=0
ryanheath

Post by ryanheath »

It was a pleasure to mix this, just as much as it was for their previous song... Love this band!

I felt like the mix called for some dirt, so I used plenty of saturation on every track.

Drums:
EQ and Compression on all the close mics and overhead and room mics. I gated the snare only in the higher frequencies (2k and up) to minimize hi hat bleed, but I disabled the gating during the drum solo to let it breathe a little more. Hi-pass on overhead and room mics. I used the center overhead as a "trash" track, lots of extra saturation and compression there. I added some reverb to the room mics, but I automated it off during the verses because I was going for more of a dry sound during the verses. Parallel compression on the drums as well, and light compression on main drum buss.

Guitars:
EQ and light compression on guitar buss, a little bit of volume automation throughout. I panned the lead guitar part a little to the right and added delay with a phase effect on the left. Hardly noticeable but I feel it does add some subtle texture.

Bass:
Hi pass distortion above 300hz, eq and compression. I did not feel the need to utilize the DI track, I only used the amp track.

Vocals:
I noticed some low end noise and I was able to filter most of it out by hi-passing at about 175hz. I heavily compressed the vocals to make them sit solid on top of the mix, I used 2 compressors side by side on each track both reducing roughly 10db each, and then a limiter after them reducing about 3db. Then used a de-esser.
I used Waves VocalRider on the Vocal buss to keep everything at a decent level as it fluctuates from one single vocal to many vocals. EQ on vocal buss also.
I used light reverb and some delay on vocals, automating it on and off throughout the song. Also I used some volume automations throughout the song.

Master Buss:
I did use some processing on the master buss.
Hi-pass at 30db to clean up some mud
Console emulation for some extra color
Light compression with very fast attack and release

Below are both an MP3 and WAV version of my mix. Hope you enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18HzUY ... ITMSC_Ve_R

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18KdX- ... baOoLA45Ms
Armenelli

Post by Armenelli »

Here are my tracks. Hope you enjoy them! I really appreciated working on a song with so much emotion. Really great tune!

MP3: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apn8-0l6PfTIguscA6svJIB35xDKzw
WAV https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apn8-0l6PfTIgusnwwfZsJ3Ki9gFnw

I took the opposite approach to the room noise. I really liked the room sound of the drums (even the ring brought out by the compression in the beginning of the tune). It sounded to me like a club setting, so I put the vocalist into a similar space, gave it some proximity effect, and made it almost like a live recording.

For the drums, I tried to even them out a bit (level and attack/body balance of the toms), and applied some parallel compression to make them more in your face. The drum solo section is intentionally crushed to give it a bigger feel. I used the omni channel on all the components and an SSL bus comp to bring some glue.

I used GTR on the DI bass track and gave it some meat to fill in the low mids (200-300).

I used some UAD Pultec eq on the guitars to make some room for the vocal and fill in some lower mids (500, then again at 1-1.5k).

The vocal was, again, the UAD Pultec eq, I used a couple of stacked 1176s for compression (each one doing very little), followed by Sibilance, and the the UAD Fairchild (max 3db) to give it a bit of warmth and grit. The UAD Precision reflection engine was used for space / reverb.

There's a bunch of automation as well.

Hope you like it!
davidpaulpaige

Post by davidpaulpaige »

Thank you,
For this one wanted to get a really big 3D radio ready sound but not to over processed. The tracks were recorded really well and I had a clear idea of what to do after just throwing the faders up.
Didn't use any reference tracks except at the end, I compared it to the original mix.
Wished I could of gotten a bit more width but this would probably be addressed better while mastering I suppose.

Guitars:
Nothing special some EQ to get some point and width. I went with a more aggressive sound but tried not to over do the processing. There is some spring reverb and a bit of delay on them as well.
Bass:
I used some distorted instances blended in with the original bass amp track to keep the bass up in the mix with the distorted guitars. All those feed a buss with an SSL channel and some usual bass stuff.
Drums:
The first thing I wanted to achieve was that big rock sound, a bit vintage but still modern. The biggest challenge was to get the snare to work real well in the 1-2K range. There were several instances of reverb, one mono and another stereo, also parallel compression. All of that with some automation helped create a really bolted down snare without sounding over processed.
The drum solo has some parallel stereo flanger going on. I wanted to show the flam work real closely to help keep the forward motion of the section. It also helped with the vintage vibe I hoped to cultivate throughout.

Screen shots:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xjtlysqjotq1 ... KD8Qa?dl=0

Mix:
wav:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bd2rmu1ue5xzs ... e.wav?dl=0
mp3:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g94fe1sw6dgyh ... e.mp3?dl=0