2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC056 July 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC056 July 2019 - Submissions until 21-07-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

It is technically a rule violation. You're with the Mix Challenge since December 2018 - you should know this by now. If nobody would have checked the files, then either you might not have recognized this prior to the end of Round 1, or could have edited it without us knowing.

Please consider this as "I didn't see this" and double-check next time you submit something.
Psymfonius

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC056 July 2019 - Submissions until 21-07-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Psymfonius »

Hello there,

This is my mix.

WAV:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5br9uqmq6p0h ... s.wav?dl=0

MP3:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/360tkfuarcnzk ... s.mp3?dl=0

DAW: Studio One 4.5.1
Kicks: Gate,EQ,CLA-76,Scheps73
Snares: Scheps OmniChannel,CLA-76, RoomReverb
OH: API2500,SSLChannel Strip,Pro EQ, Sends:Reverb
Basses: Pro EQ,Saphira,dbx-160
Guitars: Pro EQ,Scheps OmniChannel,CLA Guitars,De-esser
Keys: SSL-G Channel, Send : Reverb: Plate Reverb
Main Vocal: Gate,H-EQ,CLA-2A,PuigTec EQ, Sends: Delay,Valhalla Reverb and harmonize in some parts
Chorus: Gate,JJP-Vocal,CLA-3A, Pro EQ
BUS Channels: (Drums,Bass,GTR,Vox,Snares) - use SSLBus Compressor or KramerPIES and NLS Buss
Finally adjust some automation on some tracks.

Kind regards.
Lewshwa Music

Post by Lewshwa Music »

Mister Fox wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 14:48 CEST
It is technically a rule violation. You're with the Mix Challenge since December 2018 - you should know this by now. If nobody would have checked the files, then either you might not have recognized this prior to the end of Round 1, or could have edited it without us knowing.

Please consider this as "I didn't see this" and double-check next time you submit something.
Well, I'm not a cheater, nor have I violated the rules in the past. In the real world, render and file mishaps happen all the time. People don't lose their gig over one time.

Any leniency is appreciated. I worked hard on this.

Lewshwa Music
Chriswilson83

Post by Chriswilson83 »

Lewshwa Music wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 17:15 CEST
2BUS - Maaq EQ4, Dangerous EQ

OUTPUT -
2BUS ---> TASCAM M24 --> Liquid Pres (Manly Slam emulation) ---> Joe Meek SC4

I haven't listened to your mix yet but this sounds a little bit like a mastering chain. Could you clarify its use a little bit more please before I listen and make notes?

Chris
Last edited by Chriswilson83 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 18:50 CEST, edited 3 times in total.
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

tolerance for mistakes depends on the relationship with the client, which is here virtualized, by the gaming character of this little community.
so we have no economic or artistic relationship at all, only the rules, and if informal friendships happen.

in the major industry it is quite likely to lose a gig, because they need their engineers a 100 percent reliable, and hate to lose time, even a few hours.
what has to be accomplished and done, is written precisely in the specs, and has to be followed precisely. one has to know, which issues will need communication, and which don't.
(my humble 2 cents. I have worked with pro's but I'm not running any audio business myself.)
JulienMeirone

Post by JulienMeirone »

Hello,

Here my mix :

MP3 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhdd4nd5ry177 ... e.mp3?dl=0
WAV : https://www.dropbox.com/s/148zdzssbggg8 ... e.wav?dl=0

DAW: Pro tools 12
Kicks: Bx SSL E channel, dbx160, radiator
Snare: Bx SSL E channel, dbx160, decapitator
OH: Bx SSL E channel, CLA A2
Bass: Bx SSL E channel, Fafilter MB, REQ2
Guitars: Bx SSL E channel, fabilter Q3, Puigtech
Keys: Fabfilter Q3, little plate, decapitator, fabfilter MB
Vocals : Fabfilter Q3 DS MB and R, Waves MV2 and echoboy

MIX BUS : VMR, blackbox plugin, Izotope Vintage EQ
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your edit
Lewshwa Music

Post by Lewshwa Music »

Chriswilson83 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 18:17 CEST
Lewshwa Music wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 17:15 CEST
2BUS - Maaq EQ4, Dangerous EQ

OUTPUT -
2BUS ---> TASCAM M24 --> Liquid Pres (Manly Slam emulation) ---> Joe Meek SC4

I haven't listened to your mix yet but this sounds a little bit like a mastering chain. Could you clarify its use a little bit more please before I listen and make notes?

Chris
Sure thing. The MAAG lives on my 2bus for it's sweetness and that wonderful air band. The Dangerous EQ was used because I found a high-mid build up and choose to lightly dampen it at the 2BUS. The TASCAM routes my signal to the Liquid Pres. Both of these impart subtle sonic characteristics that help define the sound I am trying to create. The Joe Meek is a fantastic image widener. I lightly compress with it, but primarily use it for it's widening abilities and it's subtle sonic character as well. There is still plenty of "meat on the bone" for a mastering engineer, and this is not reference pre-mastering.

I appreciate the chance to work on the song, Chris. Thank you.

Lewshwa Music
RotterN

Post by RotterN »

Hi everyone, here is my mix submission:

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbu3fo5s4qhqy ... N.WAV?dl=0
MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gr4g269tow91f ... N.MP3?dl=0

Hope you enjoy it and look forward to your feedback.

Thoroughly enjoyed this song.
I resisted the temptation to do any editing to timing. Well, I say I resisted... I actually edited my first go (not submitted) but as Mister Fox suggested, I felt it lost too much emotion.

So to this mix.
I noticed at first listen there was a number of phase issues so as soon as I had done my housekeeping (colouring, labelling etc) I set about fixing this. I hate the boring side (IMHO) of mixing so like to get this and editing (non done here) out the way before I get to the fun bit.

DAW: Cubase 7
Interface: Presonus Audiobox 1818vsl
Monitors: KRK Rokit 5 mk2 & Shure SRH840 open back headphones (with Sonarworks Reference 4 Headphone Edition)

Plug In's:
Waves SSL E Channel
Waves SSL G Channel
Waves SSL Bus Compressor (Only thing other than meter on master bus)
Waves Renaissance EQ
TS-1CM Transient Shaper
Waves Q EQ
Waves CLA-76 Compressor
Waves V-EQ3
Waves V-EQ4
Waves V Comp
BOZ/JST Side Widener
Izotope Trash
Ozone 8 Elements (used on the Keyboards, not master)
Waves Vocal Rider
Waves Sibilance
Waves H-Comp
Izotope Ozone Nectar 3 Elements
Waves MV2
Waves H-Delay
Softube TSAR-1R Reverb
Waves R-Vox
Waves R-Verb
Waves True-verb
Steinberg Gate (Native)
Waves Doubler
Waves S1 Imager
Youlean Loudness meter
Photonic

Post by Photonic »

Hi all,

Here is my mix of this song. I did some gentle time correction on the drums traks. Not much, just a few very obvious hits out of time. My goal was not to change the particular mood of this recording. And I've done some automation to reduce the squeaking on the guitar tracks.

MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z716o0at9ig8e ... c.mp3?dl=0
WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fetlo19gflbzo ... c.wav?dl=0

Mixed in Reaper v5.51.

Drum-Bus: Presswerk (drum compressor mode)
Kick, Snare and Overheads: ReaEQ, ReaComp
Bass: Bass Professor II by Sonic Anomaly
All Guitars: ReaEQ, ReaComp, TDR VOS Slick EQ
Keys: ReaEQ, ReaComp
Lead Voice intro and outro: ReaEQ, Presswerk, tkdelay, TAL ReverbIII
Lead Voice main: ReaEQ, Presswerk, ReaDelay
Backing Voices: ReaEQ, Acon Digital Multiply
Mix-Bus: MQ 57, Presswerk, Span
All other reverbs: Acon Verberate