2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC056 July 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC056 July 2019 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Mix Challenge 56 - July 2019

This is the introduction post, where we directly link to the challenge corresponding files (source files, submission information, sponsors), start of the evaluation process and the first post for re-submissions for Mix Round 2.

This month, we'll get access to an Acoustic Rock production by the band/project "Balaban And The Bald Illeagles" (song produced by user Chriswilson83). The song is called "Ghost Limb". With this Mix(ing) Challenge, you're dealing with a band that is not used to playing to a click. So timing is not perfect and might even sound off in places - but works actually well in context (IMO).

Read more about the production below, and in the bundled TXTs.

Please take note of the following
  • IMPORTANT: It is mandatory to provide WAV files, files need to be accessible/downloadable, try to work within suitable work levels (the focus of this game is "mixing", not mixing and finalizing), document your edits (ideally with screenshots), name the files properly to distinguish your edit from all others.
    IMPORTANT: please use the following naming convention:
    • MC000_ArtistName_TrackName_ContestanttName.wav
    • MC000_ArtistName_TrackName_ContestanttName_R2.wav for those that go into Mix Round 2
  • please only upload to cloud storage spaces (DropBox, GoogleDrive, etc), not SoundCloud. Please consult the official "Rules and Gudelines" regarding Upload and Submission Guidelines
  • It is highly encouraged to give feedback to each other, to share tips and tricks. Ideally, this should happen after Mix Round 1 has ended, to not influence each other during the main competition round

Also please take note of the following
  • We're looking for new source material for future competitions. Please follow our official campaign. Your only investment is time in turn for a free mix by our very talented participants. No new tracks mean no more challenges! Please reach out!
  • Social Media accounts can be found via the handles @MixChallenge (Twitter) and MixChallenge (Facebook). Please spread the word!
  • if you like what the Mix Challenge (community) has been doing in recent months, please consider supporting us.

This post will be updated with the corresponding links as we progress, and of course the suitable thread headlines. So please watch this spot:

Submission Period: General Information, Source Files, Sponsors
Mix Round 2: Global Feedback and Round 2 Participant Announcement
Results of the Mix Challenge 56: Winners announced
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC056 July 2019 - Submissions until 21-07-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Monday, 01st July 2019 to Sunday, 21st July 2019 (21 days)

Challenge submission will end on 21-07-2019, 11:59pm CEST/GMT+2 (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please consult the following options:
The Global Countdown on it's dedicated page or the countdown on the home page. You can also consult the World Clock at the top of the forum or alternatively the following tool - in this case please select "Berlin (Germany)" as location 1, and your location as location 2: Time and Date - World Clock Meeting Planner. We do post reminders via our Twitter account and Facebook page.

Song Provider: Chris Wilson (for band "Balaban And The Bald Illeagles")
Song Name and Length: Ghost Limb, 2:58 min
Song Information: 180 BPM (approx.) / Signature: 3/4, Key of E min
File Format: WAV, 48kHz, 24bit

GENRE: (Acoustic) Rock

Preview of the Song:

A word from the song provider:
Chris Wilson wrote:The song was recorded in August 2018 as part of the bands (Balaban And The Bald Illeagles) debut album which was released in March 2019; This track wasn't used on the album. The songs creator, Ross Hadlington, says "Ghost Limb is about coping with sobriety after addiction; even
if you kick the habit you miss it like an amputee misses a Limb".

The track was recorded in 24bit/48khz using Cubase Pro 9.5. It wasn't recorded to a metronome so the tempo will have flux throughout. The band are very much a raw sounding 3 piece so stripped back style production worked here best (Joy Division is a good reference point to go too).

Your own artistic freedom is allowed on the track, there are no specific requests on the use of effects in the track (various types of reverb were the only effect really used on this track anyways).

(more technical details in the Mix Pack bundled TXTs)

A few words by the Mix Challenge staff:
Staff (Mister Fox) wrote:One of the biggest challenge here, is the overall timing of the band's performance. You can try to fix it (with nudging and time stretching), but this will definitely be an enormous task. Not to mention that this will also influence the groove of the band's performance, making things more sterile. So if you decide to go that road, tread with caution.

You might have to utilize some mix tricks to get the drum kit to fit with the rest of the instruments (hint: parallel processing, in some cases even automation). There is once more a "drum sample trigger" track to supplement the kick drum. If you listen to the audio demo, a lot of processing was used to push the drums further compared to their natural sound. Find a good balance between the drums and the other instruments.

There are tuned and non-tuned versions of the vocals (see sub-folder). I do recommend to bar-minimum use the tuned lead vocal track, then go from there. You can experiment with the chorus tracks. Reading and understanding the lyrics can help you on that behalf.

Find your groove with this production, and good luck editing.

Please also consult the TXT files that are bundled in the source files package below. There you can find more information about the individual files and changes to the time signature.

Special Add-On Rules:
  • try to create a mix that complements this production (in your own style)
  • Clean / Alternative versions can be used if you need more flexibility over a certain sound (if present in this production)
  • No rearrangement or pitch shifting of the song structure, with the exception of the following add-on rules
  • PRODUCTION RELATED: make the best out of the provided audio material (EQ, compression, transient tools, etc), no "drum sample triggering / replacement"! Failing to adhere to this rule will result in instant disqualification
  • summing bus processing is allowed, as long as the dynamic range (average signal strength to maximum signal strength) doesn't suffer - use of this method is artistically!
  • try to not(!) pre-master the track (please no overuse of mix bus treatment, no loudness adjustments / limiting) - read: NO MASTERING

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Files:

Main Mix Package - Mirror on the Mix Challenge Homepage (311,78 MB, LZMA compressed, zip)

The provided files were packed as ZIP with LZMA compression.
File size extracted: 757,03 MB, packed 311,78 MB (ZIP, LZMA)
In order to extract the files, we can recommend these programs:

Macintosh:
The Unarchiver - get it here
Keka (open source) - get it here

Windows:
7zip - Installation / Portable

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take note of the official rules - they can be found at the following thread:
Mix Challenge - Official Rules and Guidelines

Please address any OT question in the official Gossip thread:
Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion

SPONSORS (Prizes):

Prizes for Mix Challenge participants:

Note: All licenses are NFR (Not-For-Resale), except where noted.
Changes to available prices on short notice may be possible and will be announced separately.

Acon Digital is kind enough give away a single plugin of winner's choice
License will turn into NFR
More info on Acon Digital: http://acondigital.com

Hornet Plugins is kind enough give away one license from the depicted tools (see image) to the winner
More info on Hornet Plugins: http://www.hornetplugins.com

IK Multimedia is kind enough give away one license of T-RackS ONE to the winner
More info on IK Multimedia: https://www.ikmultimedia.com

Metric Halo is kind enough to give away a single plugin of winner's choice
More info about Metric Halo: http://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/

MuTools is kind enough give away one license of MUX Modular 7 of winner's choice
More info on MuTools: http://www.mutools.com/

NOS Audio is kind enough give away one license of NOS Roomer to the winner
More info on NOS Audio: http://www.nosaudio.com/

Sonarworks is kind enough give away one license of Reference 4 Headphone edition to the winner (until further notice)
More info on Sonarworks: https://www.sonarworks.com

Tone2 is kind enough to donate a license of Ultraspace to the winner
More info on Tone2: https://tone2.com

THANKS FOR THE LICENSE DONATIONS!
And also a thank you to all former contributors as well.

If you want to sponsor content (please have a focus on mix plugins, bundles and the likes), please get in touch with the Mix Challenge staff.

Please spread the word of the challenge on social media.
For example with our dedicated Twitter Account or Facebook Page

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC056 July 2019 - Submissions until 21-07-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow: I am happy to announce the following sponsor for the Mix Challenge:

Sonarworks is kind enough give away one license of Reference 4 Headphone edition to the winner (until further notice)
More info on Sonarworks: https://www.sonarworks.com

This offer is limited to a handful of licenses (therefore it is "until further notice").
A huge thank you goes to Sonarworks for providing the licenses. :tu:
JulienMeirone

Post by JulienMeirone »

This is actually huge :) .
soetZA

Post by soetZA »

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/15gls0bc9vx10 ... A.wav?dl=0
MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xvm0g2faf0fl ... A.mp3?dl=0

EDIT:

Notes:
I don't think this song needs over complicating so I kept it simple. Firstly I definitely do not believe this mix needs time correction it would change
the whole song. I mean I did do a time corrected version for myself to hear and it is dead and I won't be sharing it.

Bass: Simple Comp. EQ and a little chorusing.
Drums:
Bus: EQ and comp. Little Valhalla verb
Kick and snare: balanced to taste and EQ'ed and compressed, went for a thicker snare sound.
OV's not much done, little sparkle added.
Tambourine balanced with snare.
Guitars: EQ, that's it and balance.
Keys: EQ to cut through the mix.
Vocals: I used the tuned vocals, didn't want to mess with the band's vision.
The vocals have some EQ, added some throws here and there and spread L and R at the end to contrast the rest of the song.
I also have a space delay going on in the higher areas.
But yeah kept it simple.
Last edited by soetZA on Fri Jul 05, 2019 13:05 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
Chriswilson83

Post by Chriswilson83 »

Hi all!

I have been watching over the thread but thought I should make myself known. Looking forward to hearing what you all come up with 🙂
bluesation

Post by bluesation »

Hello,

first of all I want to say that this is a great platform, with great stuff, usually.
But this month challenge I will not participate. Why? I have now listened to the song and the single tracks a few times over some days now and came to this conclusion.
I dont waste my time in fixing third class recordings. And I dont like the song, sorry, it has not that "quality" like the songs we normally have here. I dont want to go into details here.
I know, nobody will feel the need of my entry and that is ok. But I think the platform owner should know what the members think. Perhaps there some other, which are with me.

However, thank you, until the next challenge.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hi Bluesation,

Congratulations for your honesty but I don't agree with you.
It is true that the title of this month poses a lot of problems.
But philosophically, it is in the difficulty that we recognize those who have a share of talent ...

See you next month !

Franz
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

bluesation wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 19:35 CEST
I know, nobody will feel the need of my entry and that is ok.
why you think this way! I need to listen to what you will do in the song !! seriously ! for the sake of learning, you could challenge yourself more and take a lot of time for editing then mix! I will be waiting for what you will do! still, you have plenty of time.
Arthur Labus

Post by Arthur Labus »

Challenge accepted ...