2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC056 July 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
bpackard

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC056 July 2019 - Submissions until 21-07-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by bpackard »

Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 00:04 CEST
We'd still need a client for this, and then users that already created a remix during the regular game have a 1-month advantage.

I'll put it on the list of requests though.
Are there special qualifications for providing material for a remix/mix challenge?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC056 July 2019 - Submissions until 21-07-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

bpackard wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 02:38 CEST
Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 00:04 CEST
We'd still need a client for this, and then users that already created a remix during the regular game have a 1-month advantage.

I'll put it on the list of requests though.
Are there special qualifications for providing material for a remix/mix challenge?
The TL;DR version:
- production has to be your own or you should have the full rights to the material
- you need to be available as "virtual client" for the month the game is up and running

Everything else is explained in minute detail in the Rules and Guidelines (this link is for the Mix Challenge, the principals for the Remix Challenge are the same. The Remix Challenge rule set will eventually get adjusted to the current Mix Challenge/Songwriting Competition version)

Everything else either via PM, Mail Form or the Gossip Thread(s). Thank you.
HalfinHalfOut

Post by HalfinHalfOut »

Hey there! I just wanted to make sure I introduced myself to the forum before I submitted my first post, and also that there isn't any kind of posting wait time for new members!

My name is Dallas, I'm a musician/producer/engineer/writer etc., from the Tampa Bay area. This forum and these challenges look like a great resource for learning and practice which I sure can use some from many different genres! Mostly been dealing with singer songwriters lately.

I'm going to be submitting a mix to the challenge on Saturday so figured I'd better make sure I could at least post before I tried to enter and found out the hard way!

Best Wishes to all and thanks for hosting such a cool platform!
GregT

Post by GregT »

Hi this is my first Mix Challenge! Hoping I didn't break any rules.

MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/an1iaw009ouno ... T.mp3?dl=0
WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ps71syn9oy4t ... T.wav?dl=0

Here's a pretty detailed breakdown of what I did with the mix. It was interesting to read how others approached this recording, it's obviously loose and some felt that it added to the feel of it. I felt that it was too loose to leave as it was; it was distracting the ear from the lyrical content, in my opinion. So, I opted to align things to some degree. Not fully quantized though, so it still has some ebb and flow to it.

DAW - Reaper

Drums
Bass Drum D112: 9db cut of 232hz, low pass filter at 3200hz, Bass Drum sample also mixed in about 6db lower than D112.
Snare 57: 8.4db cut at 247hz (ringing tone), 4db boost at 4200hz for attack
Overhead: Lots of compression, high pass at 368hz, 6db cut at 500hz, 1.5db cut at 935hz, 5db boost at 6125hz, mixed fairly low in drum mix.
Tambourine: extra reverb
Bus: 5db boost at 12k, Light compression (about 2db reduction), medium attack/release; small hall reverb
Bass Drum and snare back beats quantized to quarter notes = 186 (tune starts at lower tempo, but kind of settles into this one). Most of the snare filler notes rushed the tempo, so those were adjusted as well.

Bass
Bass D112 is primary sound, with DI mixed at 9db lower. DI signal split for parallel processing. This has EQ - high pass at 500hz, 9db boost at 1040hz, and high shelf to trim top end, making a bell shape EQ. This was sent to mild distortion and mixed in at -35db for a little grit and presence.
Bus: heavy compression (about 5db reduction, fairly high ratio), and bass chorus for some width.
Bass part was almost unusable, with wrong number of beats being played in a lot of measures. Luckily the player didn't deviate from the few patterns used throughout. I found 5-6 usable patterns and liberally copied and pasted them (after small fixes to timings).

Guitars
Intro guitars: panned hard left/right, boosted 300hz 5db, cut 487hz -12db, cut 2425hz 6db (SDC track only). LDC track has high end boost. Added extra space before start of other instruments.
Both Acoustic 1 tracks panned hard left.
Both Acoustic 2 tracks panned hard right, High pass at 325hz, Light distortion to add some aggressiveness.
Bus: 2db cut at 350hz, 3db boost of 4200hz, 2db boost of 12k, medium compression about 1.5db reduction. Medium spring reverb.
Guitar phrases moved to line up with drums, minor changes.
Guitar volume reduction to start the B section to break up the intensity.

Keys
Heavy compression to add sustain to the notes
4db cut at 600hz
Long reverb tails
Moved sections accordingly, to line up with drums

Vocals
Used all tuned parts
Lead Vox: Delay of 350ms, 2 repeats, 7db boost at 6875hz to boost consonants
Background Vox: Panned gradually left to right (nothing up center or hard left/right), 14db lower than lead
Bus: EQ 3.6db cut at 640hz, 3db boost at 2600hz, 7db boost at 5500 hz. Light compression, 2nd light compression, Small church reverb
Last edited by GregT on Thu Jul 18, 2019 17:32 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
creedchub

Post by creedchub »

dsadsa
Last edited by creedchub on Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:28 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
guiZgui

Post by guiZgui »

Hi everyone !

This contest was quite different to work on, I focus my mixing more on the balance and the ambiance of the track than the usual processing.
I didn’t wanted to time align the drums and everything else because I thought it would kill the song, it’s not like a heavy rock or pop track where you want that kind of perfect timing.
As I said I worked on the ambiance because the tracks were really dry, I had a mix of 3 different reverb, a really short one, a long one and a medium chamber I believe.

After my basics EQ moves on the different sources I started to blend them with the reverbs and play with the faders.
I also used a bit of saturation (quite a bit on the bass actually) on everything to create more excitement in the high frequency range.
Finaly a touch of compression on the mix bus to glue things together and EQ. The track should be around -18 RMS

Thank you for providing your track it had a really unique vibe ☺

So here is my mix :phones: : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TTujGE ... sp=sharing
Cheers
Arthur Labus

Post by Arthur Labus »

Hello everybody !

Specs:
NLS Channel (Neve) on every track. Tracks set to 0 VU. Izotope Neutrino on every instrument bus.

DRUMS:
Variety Of Sound Thrillseeker VBL on bus
All istrumenst done with Waves CLA Drums
in addictipon:
Snare - Protoverb / Pecheng Tremolo (to tame the ghost notes a little)

BASS
Did some timing edits as it was possible.
Waves CLA Bass + Bass Professor

VOCAL
Waves CLA Vocals + Waves Morphoder (just a bit)
Intro and Outro: additional Waves Brauer Motion

Background vocals
panned through panorama
Waves CLA Vocals

ACOUSTIC GUITARS
Intro: Waves CLA Guitar acoustic setting with lot of delay, reverb and spreading
Song: bx_console N

KEYS
Part I: bx_console N
Part II: Waves TG1234

Master Bus:
NLS Bus (Neve), Density MkII compressor (glueing, max 1 dB GR), Charly Limited analog gain, Barricade Limiter (just for sure), Youlean loudness Meter

MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pVEWV ... RgLxHQe4e6
WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LT1IG ... XWBwLlSNEg

Good succes everybody !
HalfinHalfOut

Post by HalfinHalfOut »

Hey I have a rules question... is it an effect or a change of arrangement if I have reverb still in the tank echoing at the beginning of the track as the acoustic enters?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I'd call that actually a bug. If it's a "buffer thing" from the reverb, maybe extend your loop points, then render again before you upload your edit.

Also - welcome to the forum. The there is no wait time until you can post. But I do not recommend to submit anything at the last minute.
VasDim

Post by VasDim »

Hi all,
this is my attempt to mix:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwyu7z57wz8lz ... m.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mlirukkg2o61x ... m.wav?dl=0

For all track are used:
- Waves Q10;
- Waves C4;
- Db ProComp.

AUX Effect;
- Waves TrueVerb;
- Waves SuperTap;