2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC057 August 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
dima510

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC057 August 2019 - Submissions until 21-08-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by dima510 »

White Punk OD wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 22:51 CEST
Hello Chris, nice to see you here,
I did the same, dubbed my mix onto the video, it's an exciting experience! :)
Too bad there is no visible band in the movie hahaha...
Not sure if I am allowed to share it in this form.
What about YouTube "unlisted"?
unfortunately, that is not permitted by the content owner :sad: dirk.
White Punk OD

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC057 August 2019 - Submissions until 21-08-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by White Punk OD »

Thanks, Dirk, well I thought so and didn't do it.

But for those who are not doing regular soundtrack or music video work, it's probably quite an experience, to feel the different emotion when listening to the music in context of the video. The perception of the vocals is quite different, when we watch the lips.

So, assuming it is the purpose of the game, to check out what can be done to the sound track,
when you load all the mixes into the DAW and align the volumes, I hope you have integrated the video also (I could do it with mine) and look at the screen.
:)
I really wish you'll harvest a joyful return, as a reward for the generous contribution of your mixtracks for the challenge here.
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

BTW
the DAW artifact thing (unwanted noises at the beginning or end of the file) is still going on.
It's a PITA that this could happen at all.
We'll have to check the export everytime anyway...

What I do, is keep the option checked .. "processing engine keeps running while the mix is not playing" or so, whatever the DAW maker may choose as their description of that feature.
Chriswilson83

Post by Chriswilson83 »

dima510 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 07:34 CEST
White Punk OD wrote:
Do you want me to remove the video link? It is just on drive in the folder with the wave and mp3 so not published anywhere.
dima510

Post by dima510 »

Chriswilson83 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 14:11 CEST
dima510 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 07:34 CEST
White Punk OD wrote:
Do you want me to remove the video link? It is just on drive in the folder with the wave and mp3 so not published anywhere.
i think for the purpose of presenting your mix to this community it should be ok. :wink: best, d.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hello everyone

We only talk about video. Does the audio mix still have something to do with the current competition ?

to "chriswilson83": you are particularly rigid about the rules (MC056) then you should be disqualified
for posting your video, it has nothing to do with this competition, it is a mixing challenge.

Cheers

Franz
Chriswilson83

Post by Chriswilson83 »

Franz wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 17:39 CEST
Hello everyone

We only talk about video. Does the audio mix still have something to do with the current competition ?

to "chriswilson83": you are particularly rigid about the rules (MC056) then you should be disqualified
for posting your video, it has nothing to do with this competition, it is a mixing challenge.

Cheers

Franz
Show me the rule in the challenge that states it couldn't be submitted with a video too and results in disqualification and I'll gladly agree and disqualify myself for the month. I added a video version in my submission as the client gave us it that way too (I assume you've looked at it in the mix pack for context on the challenge), I thought it would be a nice thing to do.

The usual WAVE and MP3 are there and in the correct file format, naming structure, with production notes.

Yes I was strict in MC056 because like it or not rules are rules, half the entries didn't follow them and it's not fair on those who did actually follow them to free pass every little thing. it was as simple as that. That though is a discussion for another thread.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Folks, please hit the brakes a bit.

The focus of the Mix(ing) Challenge is still mixing. So please let's stay "audio only".

Furthermore, Dirk has made clear that a distribution of the video is not permitted by the owner (it uses material from the movie, it is not a dedicated music video - I updated the second post with this information). Yes, this is not explicitly written in the Rules and Guidelines, because we usually do not have access to a mix where there is also a music video present.

Maybe we'll do something official down the road (if we get suitable material). But for the time being, please stick to audio. And if you want to talk about "rendering in video" (which not every host does, btw!), let me know and we can have a thread in "Production Techniques".

Thank you
gambler

Post by gambler »

Hi all!
Here is my version of the mix.

My attempt was to make this song as a fusion of old and new jazz.

Preparation:

ALL "stereo" tracks are tested if they are REAL stereo tracks. If not, they was converted to mono.
The size of mixdown .WAV file is now only 25 Mb, and CPU load is 1,0%

Drums (snare) needs editing, but it was not required.

Mixing details:

Bass: Dyn. EQ + Light Compression
Kick (sends SC to Bass), Snare, HH, OH: EQ, Light Compression
Drum-Room: De-Verb only
Toms: Transients shaping
Guitar: EQ, Light Compression
Solo: EQ, Phaser
Stereo widening on Organ and Strings. Then EQ, Light Compression (on Piano also)
Vox-verse, Vox-chorus: EQ, Light Compression
Snare, ohM, Guitar, Vox-Verse, Vox-Chorus, Toms sends to Reverb Bus.
Vox-Chorus sends also to Chorus Bus

Tools:

EQ: TDR Nova, TDR Slick EQ, Evo-Channel
Compression: TDR Kotelnikov
Reverb: Exponential Audio R4.
Chorus: Choral (Native Instruments)
Transients: Transient Master (Native Instruments)
De-Verb: SPL De-Verb

Loudness: about-17 LUFS max momentary.

P.S. Original Mix is a good reference for vocals, very helpful!

Mixed with Cockos Reaper.

My submission WAV File:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qZwINj ... sp=sharing

SUL8er

gambler
EchoOread

Post by EchoOread »

Hello Everybody!
Thanks for the tracks and the music. It was a joy to mix.

There is an EQ and a compressor across all tracks.
OH: Panned in around 10/2 o'clock to narrow the stereo field. Made a duplicate, HP all the way to 1K to get the ride+hats for better control
Bass: made a copy and LP to get only the bottom end. The original was HP up to 200Hz and added a little distortion to cut help cut thru.
E-Piano: Panned to the right right after the intro, a little cut around 2-3.5K to leave room for the vox
Synth: made a duplicate and HP all the way up to 1.5K and boosted around 6K to get the top end. It was a little dark making everything else the same (imo)
Vocal: paralleled with HPF, blended it in the original to bring the vox a little closer. A little delay+reverb to give it the depth.
Guitars: made a duplicate and HP all the way up to 600Hz (only to get the top end) to help it cut thru w/o low end interference.

I try to keep everything as natural as I can, therefore, there are no fancy moves on EQ/compressor/anything. Just doing frequency juggling.
A little automation on the synth to keep the swell in check so it doesn't take over the vox.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n3LGw ... MQlEVezCkn (mp3)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kHmL- ... 0M-d1xusmC (waves)

Thanks for listening! Good luck everyone!