2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC057 August 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
dima510

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC057 August 2019 - Submissions until 21-08-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by dima510 »

JulienMeirone wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 17:37 CEST
To be transparent, just wanted to say that i changed the name of my file from dirk to sara in the section "artist name" since everybody seem to use this. Hope there is no problems with that Mister Fox ? Nobody replied to me early when i asked.
hi julien, i actually don't care as long as i can recognize, that it is an entry for this round... ;-) but the host seems to have more strict rules, so i suggest you better stick to those ... :smile: cheers, dirk.
gloukin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC057 August 2019 - Submissions until 21-08-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by gloukin »

Here is my version, definitely was not as easy as it first seemed.

Kick - SSL E Channel -> Drum Buss
Snare - SSL E Channel -> Drum Buss
HiHat - SSL E Channel -> Drum Buss
Toms - SSL E Channel -> Drum Buss
Overheads - SSL E Channel -> Drum Buss
Drum Room -> Drum Room Buss

Drum Buss - H-EQ (40Hz HP) -> H-Comp (60% wet) -> NLS Channel -> Master Buss
Drum Room Buss - API 2500 -> NLS Channel -> Master Buss

Bass - Bass Rider -> CLA-76 -> SSL E Channel -> Bass Buss
Bass Bus - NLS Channel -> Master Buss

Both guitar tracks - SSL E Channel -> Guitars Buss
Guitars Buss - NLS Channel -> Master Buss

Organ - SSL E Channel -> Synth Buss
Strings - Neutron2 -> Synth Buss
Piano - Neutron2 -> Synth Buss
Synth Buss - NLS Channel -> Master Buss

Vox Verse - Vocal rider -> VEQ4 -> Vox Buss
Vox Chorus - Vocal rider -> VEQ4 -> Vocal Doubler -> Vox Buss
Vox Buss - CLA-76 -> DeEsser -> Saturation Knob -> NLS Channel -> Master Buss

Master Buss - NLS Buss -> TDR Nova (HP-40Hz; LP-18k) -> SSL G Comp -> J37 Tape -> WLM Plus for metering

I used NLS in Spike mode with all defaults.

FX:
Waves IR1
Waves RVerb
H-Delay

A bit of automation around FX Aux sends.

Here are the tracks, good luck everyone:

Wave 24bit/48Khz: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2z8oy7yawnozc ... n.wav?dl=0
MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4izjaht9edotm ... n.mp3?dl=0

George
dafingaz

Post by dafingaz »

Here's my submission. Great song. Thanks for the opportunity!

@dafingaz

Da Fingaz Mix

Mixed in GarageBand using mostly Scheps Omni Channel on each track and a few delays and chorus effects on certain channels. Slight EQ and J37 tape on the Master channel. Screenshots at the link below:

Screenshots
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

Mojo21 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 17:34 CEST
Hi guys,

Lovely track, here's the link to my submission

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CVxcdw ... sp=sharing
super beautiful, but unfortunately you delivered a mastered version that even has a multitude of overs.
:cry:
JulienMeirone

Post by JulienMeirone »

Mister Fox wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 02:43 CEST
JulienMeirone wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 17:37 CEST
To be transparent, just wanted to say that i changed the name of my file from dirk to sara in the section "artist name" since everybody seem to use this. Hope there is no problems with that Mister Fox ? Nobody replied to me early when i asked.
To be transparent as well, and I write that as host, I do not understand why people adapted this naming convention in the first place.

The song provider is not forwarding something from somebody else, the song provider is the songwriter. Meaning, this particular production was written by Dirk Mallwitz, featuring feat. Sara Milena Imhoff. The song was not written by Sarah Milena Immhof.

In fact, this is a copy from Dirk's homepage:
Homepage, Dirk Mallwitz, FIlm Section wrote:Sara Milena Imhoff: „Don’t leave me!“

Song from the movie „Walter“ by Zejnula Sahiti, performed by Milena. Composed, produced, mixed and mastered by Dirk Mallwitz.
Important part highlighted in bold red.

The only confusion I see here, is that the blog entry on Dirk's page mentions Sara Millena. Else, on Youtube, the bundled video, the demo mix in WAV form, and even the bundled TXTs clearly states otherwise. Nothing is written as "Sara MilenaImhoff - Dont leave me"

:arrow: From the first two posts of this thread:
Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 00:12 CEST
This month, we'll get access to a Smooth Jazz production by Dirk Mallwitz, written for the movie "WALTER" (2018) by Zejnula Sahiti. The song is called "Don't leave me", and the main focus of this particular challenge is to create a homogeneous mix that feels like it is being performed on a small stage, or even a jazz bar.
Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 00:25 CEST
Song Provider: Dirk Mallwitz (feat. Sara Milena Imhoff)
Song Name and Length: Don't leave me (from the movie "WALTER" by Zejnula Sahiti), 2:31 min
Song Information: 130 BPM / Signature: 3/4, Key of C maj
File Format: WAV, 48kHz, 24bit
Important part highlighted in bold red.

:!: :!: :!: Could we please stick at least once to the established rules?

Or at bar minimum, please tell me (in here) how I can make that even more clear in the future - because apparently the rules are still hard to follow. This is really starting to annoy me as I have to comment on this every single month, effectively derailing the thread and wasting unnecessary time. But it looks like I have to enforce the rules with instant disqualifications more often.

:arrow: The naming convention is:
MC000_ArtistName_TrackName_ContestanttName.wav (Contestant Name = Forum Username, ideally!)

Examples (if I'd join)
MC057_Dirk_Mallwitz__Don't_Leave_Me__Mister_Fox.wav
or
MC057_DirkMallwitz_DontLeaveMe_MisterFox.wav

(although I'd actually use my studio name, but that's just a sidenote)

Users that did not adhere to this so far have been:
  • VasDim
  • creedchub
  • JulienMeirone (edited his post to adjust to "the others")
  • Mbarathi
  • hjchjc
  • Elver (didn't use the full song name)

The rules have been laid out clearly. If I'd be the client, that would be an instant point of disqualification because "lack of attention to detail".

So please re-educate yourself with the Rules and Guidelines again (this particular section hasn't changed for over 40 games!), and stop bending the rules! Thank you.

:obeyrules:
I should have stick to my first idea sorry. Imo, just add a line "artist name" with song provider, tempo... will help to avoid such mistake but this is because of the nature of this particular challenge. Usually, it is pretty obvious who is the artist name to include in the file name.
bpackard

Post by bpackard »

Treated this mix as if it was a band playing through individual amps like you would typically hear in bars and jazz clubs. One global room reverb in various amounts depending on the volume level. Louder parts such as louder snare hits triggered a slapback delay.

All tracks sent through Slate VMR

Drums
Kick: 1-2 db compression, EQ Cut at 560Hz, boosts at 129Hz, 6.5K and 7.5k
Snare: 3db compression, EQ boosts at 84Hz, 619Hz & 3.5Khz
Toms: 1db compression, EQ boosts at 3.5Khz, 1.3Khz, 80Hz
HH: EQ cut at 240Hz, 913Hz, 7-7.5khz
Overheads: 3-4db compression, EQ boosts at 7.5Khz, 6.8Khz, light boost at 10khz / Cuts at 573Hz, 122Hz Notched most of 1Khz
Drum Bus: 2db compression (glue), Slate Revival for clarity.

Drum automation
The overheads were recorded from the player's perspective. Used the L/R overheads doubled. One track with L/R channels flipped. Automation was used to switch between the original and stereo flip to get the ride on the left side and High Hat on the right. This also made it possible to properly pan the toms. The result is (hopefully) listening to a drummer from the audience perspective. The side sticks were too low so I brought those sections up on the snare track. Some crash hits were to loud, brought them down in 2 parts.

Keys and organ.
EQ cut below 60Hz for clarity.

Keys: Track doubled for Vs & Chorus
Verses: Single, mono track panned left with 60% room panned right, removed 50Hz and below.
Chorus: AIRStereoWidth (sides only) blended with L/panned mono channel, removed 50Hz and below.

Organ: AIRStereoWidth (more width setting) clearing room for the center (solo/vocals), removed 50Hz and below.

Bass: 3db compression, EQ boosts at 3.20khz, 1.6Khz, 80Hz

RH-Guitar: Ran through TH-U spring reverb, 1db compression, EQ Boosts at 3.2Khz, 1.6Khz, cut at 60Hz, removed 50Hz and below.

Solo: TH-U Spring Reverb, Slap delay, EQ cut at 7.5k, 6k, 55k, boost at 200Hz.

Vocals: (Both tracks): EiosisE2Deesser, Slapback delay, 5db compression, EQ boosts at 5.48Khz, 1.6Khz, cut at 80Hz, removed 50Hz and below.

Room Reverb: FG-BM7 (live room) 17.5ms pre-delay
Slap delay: KHs Delay 155ms, minimal feedback

Links:
MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d2kQE1 ... sp=sharing

WAV:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GsQDyV ... sp=sharing
dima510

Post by dima510 »

White Punk OD wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 01:10 CEST
Mojo21 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 17:34 CEST
Hi guys,

Lovely track, here's the link to my submission

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CVxcdw ... sp=sharing
super beautiful, but unfortunately you delivered a mastered version that even has a multitude of overs.
:cry:
FYI: i will adjust all mixes to -16 LUFS and compare them through a plugin by HOFA called "blind test". there is no use to provide louder mixes than that. cheers, dirk.
TomImmon

Post by TomImmon »

dima510 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 09:07 CEST

FYI: i will adjust all mixes to -16 LUFS and compare them through a plugin by HOFA called "blind test". there is no use to provide louder mixes than that. cheers, dirk.
@ dima510
Hofa "blind test" is really great for this purpose. The shuffle mode is awesome - you do not even believe how easy it is to be influenced by tiny details otherwise. Also for the different versions of the own mix such a test can be totally interesting.
paperthin

Post by paperthin »

Hey fellow mixers, here's my entry:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fckbyujm5i0v ... n.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtd2lxrl78yrr ... n.mp3?dl=0

This time I've decided to not bore anyone with long mix descriptions, I'll just give you the highlights.

Drums: The toms are very prominent on the overhead and room channels, so I used sidechain to make them duck when the toms are hit, it's a neat trick, works with snares too. Also, being a big Submotion Orchestra fan, I used a spring reverb on rim hits. Pretty cool effect, see if you can hear it.

Guitars: First of all, I noticed that both guitars are slightly out of tune with the rest of the mix, so I had to lower them globally by about 10 cents. And, just for fun, I re-amped the clean guitar with a real amp because why not. It's a Fender Twin, clean channel, sm57 about an inch off axis. This part is not very prominent in this mix, and I wish we had the DI track for the solo, too. Oh well.

Vocals: Yes, I've tuned the vocals in the choruses, just one note, you know which :wink: And by doing so I discovered that all the choruses are the same take copied and pasted. It's Dirk's call, I'm not judging, but I think you could get a lot more mileage out of the song if you had tracked the vocals three times instead, especially if you were going for a "live feel".

The rest of the mix was done in my usual fashion, EQ, compression, saturation, automation, and so on. Feel free to ask for details if interested. Cheers!