2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC057 August 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
hjchjc

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC057 August 2019 - Submissions until 21-08-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by hjchjc »

Is there a place on the site where people can post their works in progress and receive feedback? I've had trouble getting this one exactly right.
White Punk OD

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC057 August 2019 - Submissions until 21-08-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by White Punk OD »

I think it is a tricky challenge this time, as it seems almost impossible to change anything, while there is certainly a desire to make a 90%-ish-electronic ITB production sound more organic.
The vibe has been burnt into all these samples already, and one may just do what has been done before, in the official mix that is great.
Which is a skill on its own to achieve.

Let's see what the contributors have to offer. Not sure if I will like what I am capable of doing with it on my own, so not sure if I can contribute.
Good luck and exciting experience to everyone, I see it as a good thing that the challenge is very different again.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

hjchjc wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 20:44 CEST
Is there a place on the site where people can post their works in progress and receive feedback? I've had trouble getting this one exactly right.
I was always against a WIP thread for the Mix Challenge. But we can try a test-run for 2-3 months. See how well it's received, how much it's limitations are pushed, etc.

Please follow this link:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=260

White Punk OD wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 22:36 CEST
I think it is a tricky challenge this time, as it seems almost impossible to change anything, while there is certainly a desire to make a 90%-ish-electronic ITB production sound more organic.
The vibe has been burnt into all these samples already, and one may just do what has been done before, in the official mix that is great.
Which is a skill on its own to achieve.
I slightly disagree here.

Yes, there has been a certain "vibe" burned into the original sounds already (considering the drumset is a sampleset), but with clever Insert and Send Effect usage, you can drastically shape the overall sound of this production (from slightly dirty to super clean modern mix consoles for example - hint!!!).

Good luck!
hjchjc

Post by hjchjc »

As it turned out, I was able to work out the WIP issues I had - this is my mix!
Waves Puigchild 670 and API-2500 on the mixbus. A f*ckton of plugins elsewhere (including more aux sends than there were original tracks, though only a few of those sends ended up being used!)
This first mix took twelve tries. Who knows how many more, should I go onto the second round...

In addition to the songs listed, Lake Street Dive, Adele, and Fiona Apple were reference points. Tried to make it a little more sweeping and cinematic, while still keeping the 'jazz club' aesthetic of the original. Also made extensive use of the Lindell 7X-500 plugin, which I recently purchased.

WAV:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1udz-5d ... sp=sharing

MP3:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R0ecYQ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by hjchjc on Wed Aug 07, 2019 07:29 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
VasDim

Post by VasDim »

Hi all,
this is my attempt to mix:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4orm3dn3qpxzc ... m.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wi999gm06cmcy ... m.wav?dl=0

For all track are used:
- Waves Q10;
- Waves C4;
- Db ProComp.

AUX Effect;
- Waves TrueVerb;
- Waves SuperTap;

Good luck to all.
VasDim
Last edited by VasDim on Mon Aug 12, 2019 07:23 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

hjchjc wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 07:09 CEST
As it turned out, I was able to work out the WIP issues I had - this is my mix!
I'll keep the new thread open, see how well it's received/how much it is used until the end of October.
JulienMeirone

Post by JulienMeirone »

To be transparent, just wanted to say that i changed the name of my file from dirk to sara in the section "artist name" since everybody seem to use this. Hope there is no problems with that Mister Fox ? Nobody replied to me early when i asked.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

JulienMeirone wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 17:37 CEST
To be transparent, just wanted to say that i changed the name of my file from dirk to sara in the section "artist name" since everybody seem to use this. Hope there is no problems with that Mister Fox ? Nobody replied to me early when i asked.
To be transparent as well, and I write that as host, I do not understand why people adapted this naming convention in the first place.

The song provider is not forwarding something from somebody else, the song provider is the songwriter. Meaning, this particular production was written by Dirk Mallwitz, featuring feat. Sara Milena Imhoff. The song was not written by Sarah Milena Immhof.

In fact, this is a copy from Dirk's homepage:
Homepage, Dirk Mallwitz, FIlm Section wrote:Sara Milena Imhoff: „Don’t leave me!“

Song from the movie „Walter“ by Zejnula Sahiti, performed by Milena. Composed, produced, mixed and mastered by Dirk Mallwitz.
Important part highlighted in bold red.

The only confusion I see here, is that the blog entry on Dirk's page mentions Sara Millena. Else, on Youtube, the bundled video, the demo mix in WAV form, and even the bundled TXTs clearly states otherwise. Nothing is written as "Sara MilenaImhoff - Dont leave me"

:arrow: From the first two posts of this thread:
Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 00:12 CEST
This month, we'll get access to a Smooth Jazz production by Dirk Mallwitz, written for the movie "WALTER" (2018) by Zejnula Sahiti. The song is called "Don't leave me", and the main focus of this particular challenge is to create a homogeneous mix that feels like it is being performed on a small stage, or even a jazz bar.
Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 00:25 CEST
Song Provider: Dirk Mallwitz (feat. Sara Milena Imhoff)
Song Name and Length: Don't leave me (from the movie "WALTER" by Zejnula Sahiti), 2:31 min
Song Information: 130 BPM / Signature: 3/4, Key of C maj
File Format: WAV, 48kHz, 24bit
Important part highlighted in bold red.

:!: :!: :!: Could we please stick at least once to the established rules?

Or at bar minimum, please tell me (in here) how I can make that even more clear in the future - because apparently the rules are still hard to follow. This is really starting to annoy me as I have to comment on this every single month, effectively derailing the thread and wasting unnecessary time. But it looks like I have to enforce the rules with instant disqualifications more often.

:arrow: The naming convention is:
MC000_ArtistName_TrackName_ContestanttName.wav (Contestant Name = Forum Username, ideally!)

Examples (if I'd join)
MC057_Dirk_Mallwitz__Don't_Leave_Me__Mister_Fox.wav
or
MC057_DirkMallwitz_DontLeaveMe_MisterFox.wav

(although I'd actually use my studio name, but that's just a sidenote)

Users that did not adhere to this so far have been:
  • VasDim
  • creedchub
  • JulienMeirone (edited his post to adjust to "the others")
  • Mbarathi
  • hjchjc
  • Elver (didn't use the full song name)

The rules have been laid out clearly. If I'd be the client, that would be an instant point of disqualification because "lack of attention to detail".

So please re-educate yourself with the Rules and Guidelines again (this particular section hasn't changed for over 40 games!), and stop bending the rules! Thank you.

:obeyrules: