2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC058 September 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC058 September 2019 - Submissions until 21-09-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Because it is not in the raw files indeed.
I'll make David aware of this so that he can give us feedback to this. To be on the save side, don't submit anything yet, as your submission is final.

If a track is indeed missing, then we'll reset the submissions that have been submitted until the package was updated.
davidpaulpaige

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC058 September 2019 - Submissions until 21-09-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by davidpaulpaige »

Hello there,
There are no files missing. There were many decisions at mix-down that even included some last minute overdubs. For me I like to distinctly separate tracking from mixing. Many professionals I have worked for have this same approach.
This session should be more about learning and growing as budding amateur mixers OR adding one's own take on a genre, than competing with the original mix. If the rules allow it (refer to the rules) do something similar if you like BUT have a defensible reason for doing so "...because it was there in the original mix." probably wouldn't be a reason unless an artist specified to do so.
The competition IMO is about having your own take on things and using one's own creativity, experiences and musical tastes to that draw out in a mix.
Art imitates life... It's truly about relationships and emotion... just like life.
PLEASE do not get entrenched by the minutia.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Then that's settled.

Let's continue with the Mix Challenge, shall we? :tu:
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

So, can we say there were some changes and additions at mix time, but we cannot do this here, as it is not allowed to add music tracks or samples...?
(But thus, this song might also become interesting material in the "remix" challenge.)
JulienMeirone

Post by JulienMeirone »

Yep, lets just continue this challenge with the tracks we already have. I approve.
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

and we have no bass also? :shock:

basic question:
tracking is 44100 / 24

so, can we still render at 48000 ? :hmmm:
JulienMeirone

Post by JulienMeirone »

No bass yep. I submitted at 44-24 cause it is the original sample rate and that there is no reason to change it i think. Upgrading will do nothing if the track is already 44-24 ^^.
LixiSoft

Post by LixiSoft »

Don't the rules state the mix must be the same sample rate as the original? Newbie here.......one other quick question, why is it permitted to tune vocals but NOT augment drums with samples? Just curious.........because when you tune a vocal you are changing the performance, augmenting a drum with a sample does not change the performance or execution of the part.......if you can't sing in tune.....and we fix it.....we have changed the performance....not so with drum augmentation. In all honesty both of these techniques should be the call of the PRODUCER not the Mixer.....what say you?
Snarowitz

Post by Snarowitz »

LixiSoft wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 19:20 CEST
Don't the rules state the mix must be the same sample rate as the original? Newbie here.......one other quick question, why is it permitted to tune vocals but NOT augment drums with samples? Just curious.........because when you tune a vocal you are changing the performance, augmenting a drum with a sample does not change the performance or execution of the part.......if you can't sing in tune.....and we fix it.....we have changed the performance....not so with drum augmentation. In all honesty both of these techniques should be the call of the PRODUCER not the Mixer.....what say you?
Tuning a part is very different than rewriting a part, or changing instrumentation. I think they would be fine with you using Melodyne or something to tune a piano, or fix a misplayed chord. But, I don't think they'd be cool with you turning a piano into an organ, or rewriting/reworking parts (like adding/subtracting notes for kick/snare or reworking the beat to something a little more funky). You're always going to approach a gray area when considering things like transient alignment. If you can interpret what the artist was going for, and "fix" it, your a hero... But if you misread the situation, and alter the content in a way that doesn't sit well with the artist.... well, your a donkey. Luckily, were not being paid for this, so I say do what you want, as long as it's in good taste.

Steve
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Snarowitz wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 07:22 CEST
Luckily, were not being paid for this, so I say do what you want, as long as it's in good taste.
Sorry - but no.

We have clear rules - stick to them.
Drum Sample replacement = not allowed
Tuning = allowed to a degree. In this case, the song provider clearly said even "It mustn't be noticeable at all if you go for it"

I've talked about Drum Sample Replacement ad nauseum at this point, and I also mentioned suitable alternatives (see rules and guidelines). Don't go the easy route because you "think" you need this (which to 95% that is not the case), work with what you have. In case of vocal tuning - I don't think it's super necessary except for one word, and even then... have the bigger picture of this song in mind.

Want to discuss this further - go into Mix Challenge - General Gossip in the FAQ sub-section of this forum. Thank you.

Else - yes, there is indeed no bass guitar in this production.