2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC058 September 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
davidpaulpaige

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC058 September 2019 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by davidpaulpaige »

I see the mp3 thing is not mandatory. My fault. I’ll make any appropriate changes.
As far as drums they just aren’t as important as the melody for this material. Really big processed sounds wouldn’t fit the genre either. Just an artistic and stylistic choice. The first thing you hear would be the most important. The drums come up to support that movement and the kick helps drive the melody forward but the snare shouldn’t be distracting from that melody or motion.
I give up... I’m just the artist and sure y’all know what’s best!
Peace
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Before I kick off Mix Round 2 (which would in theory go until 29th September 2019), I'd like to clear some things:

1) to the song provider:
MP3 is not mandatory. So in theory, maxovrdrive could go into Mix Round 2

2) to all participants:
There was the request to "not let it sound like pop" (modern, over-processed type content). There were also references given. Most notably "The Traveling Willburys", which also have a barely noticeable kick drum and a focus on guitars. While I'd personally have a focus on the "far kick drum" as well, I'd use this more as a "war drum" type for effect. I tried this with a demo mix on my end as well, and it puts a different spin on this production.

But ultimately - the song provider (client) has the final word.

I'm waiting for a final okay from David. Since I'm out of the house this afternoon, once I have feedback and a definite "okay", I'll kick off Round 2 later tonight.
bluesation

Re: R1 Observations and Evaluations

Post by bluesation »

davidpaulpaige wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 04:56 CEST
bluesation:- Couldn't play file? Download only.
That's the rules. Listen online is not a requirement. You will have to do the work offline.

It seems there are are very different ideas, what are over processed drums, on the side of the competitors and the song provider.
Last edited by bluesation on Mon Sep 23, 2019 19:29 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

I think, this time it means that pop culture technically inflates every sound in the form of a competition, and also in the form of making a thing crass or super-colored (and think of Andy Warhol), and the artist does not seek that, but a more natural shape and order of things, and prefers melody never to be eclipsed by inflated rhythmic sounds.
as far as I try to comprehend.
so, the typically inflated drum sound is in this regard, overprocessed, because it happens with the help of modern plugins, and goes beyond what is required.
----
Thanks so much to David for the intense work of wording his reception of the mixes into detailed comments!
I benefit from my feedback, and will take it into account for further work, to do better.

We are just too many, so a detailed debate is going beyond available capacity.
In reality, when there is one artist and one or two mixers, things sure can be sorted out quickly. Many artists have a pool of a couple of engineers to choose from, for the particular project, and they know each other.
Here, in a fictional setting, a common base of knowledge, perception, and communication is being taken for granted, but this is a bit optimistic, on the global playground that we have available, with quite different musical cultures, and also stereotypes.
ArneB

Post by ArneB »

bluesation wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 14:43 CEST
davidpaulpaige wrote:
That's the rules. Listen online is not a requirement. You will have to do the work offline.
:tu:

I even wouldn’t know how to level-match properly when listening only online... :headscratch:

And a technical question: does anybody know if Dropbox & Co. are really playing with full quality when listening over the browser? Or are they producing any online generated preview mp3 to safe bandwidth?
Chriswilson83

Post by Chriswilson83 »

ArneB wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 18:44 CEST
bluesation wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 14:43 CEST
davidpaulpaige wrote:
:tu:

I even wouldn’t know how to level-match properly when listening only online... :headscratch:

And a technical question: does anybody know if Dropbox & Co. are really playing with full quality when listening over the browser? Or are they producing any online generated preview mp3 to safe bandwidth?
I believe Dropbox use a transcoder if you stream audio, meaning yes it won't sound the same as the actual file.
bluesation

Post by bluesation »

The first sighting is so short, with so many submissions? Whether this was done with the necessary care? :headscratch:
davidpaulpaige

Post by davidpaulpaige »

\_('_" )_/ Sarcasm is humor designed to hurt!
and then...
Take away this please...
Mixing is about relationships. Nearly everyone had good tones, some were even really great. No one needs to level match to hear a relationship especially, if they are the artist. When in doubt remember, it's not your name on the cover! The most basic function of mix engineer is to help facilitate a final product that will play well on all sound systems. The relationships are for the client/management or artist to choose.
Also there is NO way someone is going to download that many files for elimination when they can just push play and HEAR the relationships happen.
I will (and have) downloaded the .wav from the finalists AND in that final review, I would certainly take into account stereo width, balance as well as mono compatibility because the premise of relationships had been established previously through elimination.
Easy now...
On a side note:
- It's been my experience and opinion, prob not a good idea to hassle the client because of the way they chose to view the product.
bluesation

Post by bluesation »

I am convinced that the purpose and the purpose of this competition is to create something different and not to mimic or replicate an already existing mix, because that already exists. Therefore, it is already mandatory to deviate from the specifications of the artist.
bluesation

Post by bluesation »

davidpaulpaige wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 20:02 CEST
Also there is NO way someone is going to download that many files for elimination when they can just push play and HEAR the relationships happen.
Ok, what I understand (in context) is, that you didnt download, hear and seriously evaluated my mix before you did your decision.