2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC059 October 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Green-Dog

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC059 October 2019 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Green-Dog »

Hi everyone,

Finally I'm back home and could listen to the finalists’ mixes. First two places were obvious to me, but with the third one I came across a difficult choice. And so, here is my top 3:

1. Mork
2. Paperthin
3. Kirurg

Many thanks again to all participants and congratulation to the winners!

Cheers
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC059 October 2019 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!

The Winners Podium is
1) Mork
2) Paperthin
3) Kirurg

We perform with the usual - please select one license out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name, email address and your plugin selection.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Mork »

Yaaay :hyper:

Cool, I really like song, thanks for that!
Congratulations to paperthin and Kirurg!

For my plugin I choose HaloVerb.

Cheers
Mork
paperthin

Post by paperthin »

Alright, second place, not too shabby! Congrats to Mork and Kirurg, and really to everyone who didn't shy away from attempting to mix this beast of a song.

I'd like the T-racks ONE, please. Cheers, everyone!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

To close this out, Kirurg selected the Acon Digital Restoration Suite.

I'll leave the door open for everyone to give feedback to each other.
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

big congrats! I thought already before the announcement, all 3 did great.
although I also liked the mixes by ManuC, Arthur Labus, Matik, GuizGui, and some others.

@Mork, as you won, everything is proven, :)
but from my taste, it seems you made some sort of an upright bass sound, and the song sounds really different with this. exciting to see it win, as to me it would not have occured that this fits together. always something to learn.
in general, sounds clean and modern, => basically all 3.
the snare I thought was quite dry and a rock sound (executed perfectly), while I preferred a strange electronic, blurred and psychedelic sound, also for the bass.
all other details I like in taste, and technically.

@Kirurg - I like that your instrumental sound is a bit darker, vocals a bit brighter, but sitting well in the mix.

none of the mixes I checked did cut the start of the musical interlude that kicks in at 1:14, and after the soft middle part again.
I did this, because I wanted that sound instantly altogether like all the lights get switched on with one snap. but some guitar was coming early etc..
I wonder what Green-Dog thinks about this. this would be a question in case of real collab. keep or precise cut?

-----------------------------
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mVlI0t ... sp=sharing

** this is my voluntary final take, limited to a higher loudness, using Vlad Limiter6 (didn't like the Ozone8 Maximizer).
I enhanced some sounds:
vocals got some overdrive preset (demoing iZotope Trash), and another deessing layer (left some ss in, and used the HF extra limiter of the final Limiter6).
bass stem got a Lindell multiband.
ElPiano got a Character exciter.
drum room bus was made a bit brighter with the EQ, and some other minor section bus EQ tweaks.
check out the subtle sub-octave in the bass!

I like it this way, I hope it is a good version for dance clubs. sure there is a very strong 80ies and 90ies feel.