2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC060 November 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Christian Lay

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC060 November 2019 - Submissions until 21-11-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Christian Lay »

Hello,

Here's my mix. Nice song, brings a nice feeling with it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqsfi2cbg6ncc ... y.wav?dl=0

What did I do in the mix?

On every track as plugin brainworks_SSL-E to have the analog mix feeling.

The most important Eqs:
Bass Drum: LoCut at 30 Hz, 380Hz lowered and Low-Shelf-Boost at 63Hz and High-Shelf-Boost at 8kHz.
Bass: LoCut at 60Hz and boost at 80-100Hz and 800Hz.

I mixed a lot of room microphone into the drum sound.

The LeadVocals have an overemphasis of the S-sounds at 12kHz. This I tried to tame with DynEQs.
AccGit are panned left-right.

The piano sound is great, especially in the intro the piano sounds unique.

Many greetings,

Sven Christian
bexplorers

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC060 November 2019 - Submissions until 21-11-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by bexplorers »

Hi Guys

Here is my sumission. Had lots of fun and looking foward to how other mixers have mixed this track.

Google drive Link- https://drive.google.com/open?id=15vI91 ... fi2eeJyW8b
Notes- https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xtAkH ... 41dGkW7VTD
canese

Post by canese »

Hi everyone,

Check this mix!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/091scv8cr8yh0 ... e.wav?dl=0

I work in Fl Studio 12 and most of the plugins are native from FL.

I pan the drums like the instructions and add little reverb and compression to glue. Then add the bass and proced to clean it before balance it with drums. Eliminated most of the high frecuencies, pops and clicks. Guitars also had a lot of noise that I removed. Voice tuned a little bit and add compression with some reverb and saturation. Piano has compression, eq and saturation with little delay and stereo width. Strings had a bus with chorus and reverb and another one clean with compression and EQ. Had difficulties with phase, but hope I manage to achieve an okay groove.

Cheers!
Snarowitz

Post by Snarowitz »

Hello alelachowski, nice arrangement here, and Eveline has a beautiful voice. Your work here is a testament to the fact that talent is more important than high $$$$ gear... Would be nice to have both though. :wink:

I usually write up a pretty extensive recap of my mix process, but I'm not convinced anybody reads all that. So, this will be a test. Let me know if you have any questions.

Here you go...

WAV. - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bgu0sr ... sp=sharing

MP3 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CaKKVk ... sp=sharing

SNarowitz
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Snarowitz wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 15:40 CET
I usually write up a pretty extensive recap of my mix process, but I'm not convinced anybody reads all that. So, this will be a test. Let me know if you have any questions.
It is part of the Rules and Guidelines!

:educate:
Zero_Pretese_Studio

Post by Zero_Pretese_Studio »

Hello everyone!
Greetings to Eveline Martins and congratulations for the really beautiful song, voice and music.

This is our mix sequence:

DAW: Logic Pro X

BASSDRUM

EQ: FF Pro Q 3
Gate: FF Pro G
EQ: Ik multimedia TR5 EQ 73
Comp: DBX 160 A (Hardware)
———————————————
TOM1 - TOM2 (Pan 63 L)

EQ: FF Pro Q3
Comp: Waves DBX 160
————————————————
TOM 2 FLOOR (Pan 57 R)

EQ: FF Pro Q3
Comp: Waves DBX 160
————————————————
SNARE (Pan 4 L)

Comp: KT-76 (Hardware)
———————————————
BOTTOM SNARE (Pan 4 R)

Comp: Ik multimedia TR5 Black 76
———————————————
HI HAT (Pan 55 L)

Comp: WAVES DPR 402
———————————————
OVERHEAD LEFT (Pan 64 L)

———————————————
OVERHEAD RIGHT (Pan 64 R)

———————————————
ORHESTRAL PERCUSSION

———————————————
BUS BATTERIA

COMP: Vertigo Plugin Alliance
REV: DDMF Envelope
———————————————
BASS

Comp: BSS DPR 404 (HARDWARE)
———————————————
ACUSTIC GUITAR 01 LINE

Comp: BSS DPR 404 in Side Chain con DBX 231 (HARDWARE)
———————————————
ACUSTIC GUITAR 01 MIC

Comp: BSS DPR 404
———————————————
ACUSTIC GUITAR 02 LINE ( PAN R 40)

Comp: BSS DPR 404 in Side Chain con DBX 231 (HARDWARE)
———————————————
ACUSTIC GUITAR 02 MIC (PAN L 40)

———————————————
ACUSTIC GUITAR SOLO

———————————————
ACUSTIC GUITAR VIRTUAL INSTRUMENT STEREO

———————————————
REV CHITARRA

VALHALLA ROOM
———————————————
PIANO

Comp: Ik multimedia TR5 White 2A
———————————————
CELLO

———————————————
VIOLAS

———————————————
VIOLIN

———————————————
LEAD VOCAL EVE ST

Deesser: FF Pro DS
Comp + Saturator: Mindprint T-Comp (HARDWARE)

Parallel to:

EQ: Plugin Alliance Maag EQ4

Plate: Valhalla Plate
———————————————
MALE BACKING VOCAL

Deesser: FF Pro DS
Comp + Saturator: Mindprint T-Comp (HARDWARE)

parallel to:

EQ: Plugin Alliance Maag EQ4

Plate: Valhalla Plate
———————————————
MIX BUS

Saturator FF Saturn

Thank you,
ZerØ Pretes€ Studio

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6k1ftr8bd8me ... o.wav?dl=0
CYHTGrasshopper

Post by CYHTGrasshopper »

Hello, I would just like to start off by saying this is a very musically diverse record all the instruments were very well placed and the vocals were very inspiring! I approached this mix in a very minimalistic way, the very first thing I did was just organize the tracks and gain staged. After that I carefully read the notes that were attached to the files and based the leveling and panning off of that. Then I used the top down approach to begin mixing the track, I started at my master bus with an SSL Stereo bus Compressor (Waves) to get the glue going. Then I started grouping first the vocal bus, drum bus, and instrument bus followed by sub groups for the guitars, orchestral pieces and piano. I used a few different compressors to tackle the dynamics first to include the R Compressor ( vocals), API 2500 (drums, guitars and orchestra) and another SSL Compressor (Used mainly for character on the Instruments OVR). With the vocals did not want to overly process them so i used a schepps omni channel for the backings and lead to tackle mostly everything and Rbass to beef up the main vocals. I also doubled the lead track filtering highs and lows and added a Reel ADT and S1 to give it a subtle boost in presence. I also used another Reel ADT on the backing vocals and the Waves Tune LT for pitch correction as well as a Vocal Rider (waves) for volume control. The drums I actually didnt do much at all, just used some added parallel compression and a API 550A (waves) on the bus then for the overheads I doubled the tracks and filtered the highs on one and then the lows on the other so I could have more control over the top and bottom end of the drums. As for the Instruments just did some simple EQing, mid side processing, saturation and more parallel compression to taste. The bass I used for the bass I used another API 2500, Schepps 73, a Max Bass tuned to the high frequency key of the song , Rbass tuned to the low frequency key, a J37 Tape emulation (Waves) and lastly a Bass Rider (Waves) to control volume. Then lastly I went in and automated areas of the song to maintain volume or effects. Overall was a super fun mix to do and enjoyed the process trying out new techniques, there was a few more different plugins i used for this record if you have any questions or comments about it please let me know !

DAW: Presonus Studio One 4.5
Plugin Brands: Waves, Softube, Fabfilter, and Goodhertz

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TWtpm4 ... sp=sharing
UprightJoe

Post by UprightJoe »

Here's my entry:

MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgpjxdtr4fwg9 ... e.mp3?dl=0
WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkhpmtng18sfl ... e.wav?dl=0

Due to the genre, I decided to take a top down approach to this one and start with the vocals. My biggest battle there was the amount of sibilance on the lead vocal track. I wanted to remove the sibilance without doing too much damage. I actually ended up with an unusually large number of plugins, each doing a little bit of work.

Vocals
I started with Vocal Rider to reduce the dynamic range of the vocals so that there would be less variation in how hard they hit the compressors (Vocal Rider also gives a distinctive pop sound to my ears). From there, I added the UAD Manly Voxbox to start shaping the vocals. I'm not sure why I picked that plugin. I've never used it before when mixing. I used the Voxbox to agressively DeEss and started doing a bit of light compression. After that, I used a UAD 1176 for the rest of my vocal compression. I still needed more DeEssing so added two instances of Waves DeEsser - taking out as much as I could without significantly damaging the vocals. I still needed a hair more so I did a bit of surgical work using a Dynamic EQ and Fabfilter. I finally had the S's tamed but the vocals were left sounding a bit dull so I used a Studer A800 and SoundToys Little Radiator to add some saturation and used a UAD Manley Massive Passive to do some final EQ shaping. I think that's a record for me for most number of inserts on a track but the vocals are so critical to the genre...

Piano
I also used a bit of the Studer A800 on piano but the biggest move I made was to use the UAD Tonelux Tilt EQ to brighten up the piano and give it more presence so it would pop out more. After the Tilt, I used Fabfilter for some surgical EQ moves and I actually side chained a compressor to the kick (more on that later)

Drums
I used the UAD API Vision channel strip for EQ and gating on the kick and snare. I used Fabfilter and a UAD Pultec on the overheads. The drums were bussed together onto a return with the UAD API 2500 doing some parallel compression. The kick and the bass were fighting. They both have a lot happening at around 90Hz. In the end, I decided to sidechain a compressor on the piano, guitars, and bass to the kick drum to give it a bit of extra space.

Bass
I took out a bit at 90Hz and ran it through a UAD LA-2A

Guitars
UAD Studer A800, UAD LA-2A, Fabfilter. On the solo, I also used the UAD Tonelux Tilt EQ to brighten it up a bit.

Strings
Just a bit of EQ with Fabfilter

Reverb/Delay
I used UAD AMS RMX16 instances for a non-linear EQ on snare, plate on the vocals, and hall on the strings. I used H-Delay for a dotted eighth note delay on guitar and piano.

Master Bus
UAD Ampex ATR-102 and UAD Manley Variable Mu (about 2dB of GR seemed to be where it glued together)
UprightJoe

Post by UprightJoe »

I usually write up a pretty extensive recap of my mix process, but I'm not convinced anybody reads all that.
For what it's worth, I do :educate:
paperthin

Post by paperthin »

UprightJoe wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 23:52 CET
I usually write up a pretty extensive recap of my mix process, but I'm not convinced anybody reads all that.
For what it's worth, I do :educate:
I do too, especially if it's not a dry list of plugins :grudge: