2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC060 November 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Waleed Morris

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC060 November 2019 - Mix Round 2 until 10-DEC-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Waleed Morris »

7) Wizzo: There is not much to say because you let the bass too loud, if you fix it for me sounds the rest is cool. Your peaks are too much high. Anyway, if you fix the bass you have a good dynamic.
Hello,
Thanks for picked my track to round 2, what I did?
-Reduce bass volume, and reshape the whole tone just a little.
-Now peaks more under control.

My submission.

MC060_Eveline Martins_Mil E Uma Estacoes_Wizzo_R2.wav
MC060_Eveline Martins_Mil E Uma Estacoes_Wizzo_R2.mp3

Cheers!
Waleed Morris

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC060 November 2019 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Waleed Morris »

Franz wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 22:50 CET
Hi,

I had forgotten another software for sound placement: "anaglyph" concocted by researchers (a little crazy)
who have not quite mastered the smooth operation of the software. I managed to use it briefly on a voice track
and the result is quite convaicant (based on 3D audio).
If you're brave, try this software at this address: www.anaglyph.dalembert.upmc.fr. (is free)
Without warranty.
Cheers
Franz
Thanks, Franz, I see you are very interested in audio binaural !! I tried different plugins like H3d long audio it's an old company but amazing 3d audio stuff! Be careful you could easily get a very interesting sound with a phasing issue !! good luck and always have fun!
letsmix

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC060 November 2019 - Mix Round 2 until 10-DEC-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by letsmix »

I really appreciate the feedback! Here's what I did:

- I cleared up some overlaps in the bass and kick frequencies using EQ.
- I tuned up my HPFs on the percussion and a few other instruments to clear up the low end.
- I removed the short delay on the vocal.
- Then I did a LOT of .5 to 1.5 db volume and EQ changes to rebalance things once the low end was clearer.
- Finally, on my master bus I added an SSL 2-bus (UAD Vertigo VSC-2) compressor at 2:1 removing about 1 db on average.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4o6b6m4tigccy ... 2.wav?dl=0

Great job everyone!
Mat
SDB_12

Post by SDB_12 »

R2 Mix:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7q8zdj05ehz4 ... 2.wav?dl=0

Hey all!

I'll echo what others have said and first say thank you so much to the song provider for truly listening through our mixes, giving great feedback, and of course for selecting my mix to go on to Round 2! :tu:

To be honest, I was in the middle of demoing a bunch of new plugins for Black Friday while doing my first mix, which was the main reason I wanted to enter the contest! After reading the feedback from the song provider and going back to really listen and compare my first mix with commercial mixes...you were right! Strings were too loud, too much verb, and the thing that really struck me was the comment about the mids being a mess...I agree completely. It's weird b/c my mixes don't usually sound that cluttered...I'm pretty sure I was having too much fun with the new plugins and going crazy! haha!

I could be wrong, but based on the comments I saw for all mixes including mine...I was under the impression that my mix needed a lot of work to really get some attention for this 2nd round. Contributing to the mess was a lot of the effects and processing I was using all over the tracks. So, I went in and started making tweaks based on the feedback, and every move I made would reveal more and more problems. So, I saved that mix, and did the bold move of just "pulling all the faders down" and having another go! This time, I focused on being more musical in my processing and getting rid of a lot of the things that were just making a mess of the mix. My goal for this 2nd mix was to keep the vibe and vision of my first mix...but really dig in and clean it up, make it punch and sound more modern.

I removed a lot of plugins that didn't need to be there as I was re balancing everything...trying to keep the mix more focused, punchy and clear...but still vibey in a way. In the end...95% of my tracks only had some of the Acustica Audio plugins on them that I mentioned in my first post, and everything got tweaked. A lot of Gold 3 preamps and eq, Pink 3 API style compression/eq, Taupe (tape emulation)..and Magenta (Manley stuff) on tracks and the mixbus. I recreated a lot of the reverbs and delays using Lemon (acustica audio delay) and some new IR samples from Past to Future Reverbs I used within the Space convolution reverb plugin. Then made sure they were more subtle this time and not over powering the song.

In the end, a lot of plugins were removed...eq, compression, effects and balance were all re-tweaked, and I think this new mix is way better. It has far less processing, and more of a modern sound to me. I know it's a bit bold for a 2nd revision mix, and I typically would not go so far on a revision...but it's what I felt I really needed to do in order to give it my best shot. Thank you for the great feedback! I hope you like the new mixes from everyone!

Good luck to all the contestants!
CeZar

Post by CeZar »

Hi folks!

Just a few min until the clock stops and here's my 2 tracks:

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i23fra8w0gncn ... 2.wav?dl=0
MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dt5ees0sksejz ... 2.mp3?dl=0

I'd like to thank the provider for taking me to Round2, it was a pleasure to mix this song, but I'm not sure if I can listen to it again, haha :lol:

What I did in this one is clean resonances for a while, then used Plugin Alliance, Slate and Waves plugins, depending on the track.
I took my time to get the drum tones that I like, but it worked out somehow.

It took me a while to actually hear everything properly, my room needed proper calibration, and once I got that sorted it was a lot easier.

Would be curious on feedback from y'all .

As always, it was a pleasure,

CeZar
Last edited by CeZar on Wed Dec 11, 2019 02:21 CET, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC060 November 2019 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 11th December 2019, 1:25am - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

Aside from our Wildcard entry (who kindly declined this offer), everyone has sent in an edit
We have no submissions after the deadline.

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. :tu:

See you on the flipside.
satyatunes
Honorary Member

Post by satyatunes »

Mister Fox wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 01:27 CET

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)
I and a few others requested for song provider's feedback on our tracks. Yet to see a response on that.
kevin gobin

Post by kevin gobin »

Hi.

The client said:
I would like to write few words for each participant after the winners announcement.
satyatunes
Honorary Member

Post by satyatunes »

Ok, I missed that somehow. Thanks.
kevin gobin

Post by kevin gobin »

You are welcome satyatunes.