2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC061 December 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Waleed Morris

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC061 December 2019 - Mix Round 2 until 11-JAN-2020 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Waleed Morris »

First of all Happy new year to all,
Wizzo: good in general but it is necessary: to suppress the obvious hum at the beginning, very good distribution
of the music stands; change the reverb which goes to mono at the end of the brass riffs; raise the level of the
trombone solo; keep the effect on the guitar solo.
What I did :
◉ Remove hum at the beginning.
◉ Fixed change reverb from stereo to mono. it's very weird reaper behavior.
◉ Raised the level of the trombone solo.

Loudness: -21.1 LUFS, TP Max -3.1 dBTP (By NUGEN), any comments or feedback are most welcome.

My submission for R2.

MC061_Jazz MUK_Two Seconds To Midnight_Wizzo_R2.wav
MC061_Jazz MUK_Two Seconds To Midnight_Wizzo_R2.mp3

Cheers !
Waleed Morris

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC061 December 2019 - Mix Round 2 until 11-JAN-2020 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Waleed Morris »

[quote="White Punk OD" post_id=6836 time=1578422924 user_id=412]
wizzo
something is missing, a bit thin, to me the wind and brass have little power.
put more musical focus on those, who play the lead in each different part respective. if it is a half dB.
the piano in the presence range clashes with some brass, disappears when brass becomes louder.

First of all happy holiday and thank you for your feedback,really appreciated it! let me fast tell you what I did. Jazz is my life :smile: listening to jazz all the time and playing (keyboard) as well with my friends.so I mixed this song as I 'm on the stage. literally .. I carefully used eq I only removed rumble 30/40hz from brasses.in general, I'm not a crazy bout Eq. I'm using compression to melt the sound. the piano in the big band jazz it depends on how the piano is acting to the song, it supports here! so I kept it shows sometimes and disappear as need it. thank you White Punk OD your feedback always very useful. so please keep it up!
marc clement

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC061 December 2019 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by marc clement »

Franz wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 18:29 CET

marc clement: good general atmosphere; the winds are a little tight but well balanced; the general reverb
is very good; very good trombone solo; very good bass sound; good documentation; what needs to be changed is
simply to reposition the winds more openly.
HI Franz,
Thanks for your comments. I opened up the panning a bit, which meant slight re balance. Added Celeste ( SSL Fusion by Acustica ) to the bus, its not actually doing anything but running it through seemed to tidy the image.

Thanks for up;loading tracks .

Marc Clement

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CcDoHE ... sp=sharing
Snarowitz

Post by Snarowitz »

Glad I was able to get this done in time, been a busy week back at work after a long vacation to end 2019 and start the new year. Hope everyone and a great time celebrating this holiday and new year season.

Francis, I’m glad you liked my mix entry and appreciate being selected for round 2. I took your feedback to heart and focused mostly on the sound space for this attempt.

I also considered what White Punk OD suggested. I didn’t agree right away, but after listening, with your (Francis’) and his (White Punk OD’s) thoughts in mind, I did think the middle of the sound stage was somewhat congested. I really like the midrange though, I think that it’s a big part of what defines the genre. With this on my brain, I played with the spacing to let the various timbres come through the mix in their own spaces. This reduced any muddiness or contestation that may have been their before.

I also moved the piano and guitar out wider in opposite directions, to really broaden the soundstage. I have to say you were right on, defiantly sounds better now.

I also boosted the presence range of the piano, as you suggested.

Then I tweaked the balance between the the various parts just a little (needed to be done after spatial reconfiguration).

Lastly, I made some subtle adjustments to the existing automation. Most noticeably I gave the trombone solo and the main sax a little boost (about 1-2 dB), and moved the guitar a little towards the center (just for the solo).

Overall program loudness is 19.2 LUFS. Overall dynamic range 13.4 LU.

Hope you like it, and thanks again.

SNarowitz

WAV. - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xNXxV3 ... sp=sharing

MP3 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xNXxV3 ... sp=sharing
lavlane

Post by lavlane »

Here's my mix. Cool jam!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/npv32k2fcrs8w ... e.wav?dl=0

There's no limiting but I do have a gbus and some eq on the main bus

an interesting thing about this mix is that theres over 12 db of compression on the sax's lol
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC061 December 2019 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 12th January 2020, 6:00am - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

Sadly, not everyone has sent in an edit (missing is: Christian Gillmann, MixAndry)
We have no submissions after the deadline.

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. :tu:

See you on the flipside.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hello everyone,

Here we are in the final. I am very satisfied with the result of the mixes.
The change is real and I congratulate all the participants in the second round.
The choice of the 3 winners was delicate. My choice was based on technical, musical,
general sound and the candidates' understanding of the title.

Here is the result:

marc clement: the whole thing sounds a little too compressed (for example
at 0'26 '' stopping the reverb tail is very brutal); the piano and the bass mingle too much;
always a slight imbalance between the wind; the end of the trombone and guitar solos
are covered by the winds which are too present, even at the end.

Kirurg: always a little imbalance between the winds; too low frequency in general;
seems a little compressed; solo of trombone a little weak; the guitar solo is good
but the whole seems to lack a bit of air.

VasDim: there is still an imbalance between the winds; too much bass drum;
the bass is a little strong; the winds seem very equalized (medium a little pushed).

bluestation: the winds are too scaterred and the balance is not perfect;
the drums and the bass are good; the piano is a little too loud and the solos are OK.

Snarowitz: at first seems quite mono; it really lacks space (reverb ??);
there is too much equalization on the brass; there is always an imbalance between the winds
(too much sax).

the 3 winners :

1) Wizzo: YES, the overall sound is very good; the distribution of the winds is
interesting and the two solos are OK. Good performance, well done!

2) JonasLasse: YES, overall sound very interesting, so can be "old school" but
which is perfectly suited to this title. The distribution of the winds is well done and the
solos are perfect. Very good personal taste.

3) paperthin: surprising because the whole sounds very powerful but the sound of the
instrument (the winds among others) is very good, very realistic, very "natural";
the sound space is well done; a version that I could describe as "more modern".

Thank you all for participating in this competition, which I hope
will above all have brought you more fun and knowledge.

Cheers

Francis
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Hello Franz, Thank you for picking my track 1st position, it's always fun to me when mixing Jazz, guitar solo still killing me every time I listened to. greetings to all the players, a great piece of music. also, congratulations to JonasLasse and paperthin ...

I'll pick Tone2 Ultraspace. thank you.
bluesation

Post by bluesation »

Franz wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 14:24 CET
bluestation: the winds are too scaterred and the balance is not perfect;
... the piano is a little too loud ...
@Franz
In the review for round 1, you didn't mention something about scattered winds or the piano is to loud. You wrote ... good overall balance ...
For round 2 I just disabled one plugin on solo trombone and exchanged the reverb. Nothing else, not one knob on a track was touched, except on the reverb AUX tracks.
You also wrote in review 1 ... put the trumpets back together ... I did nothing with the trumpets and now they are ok?

Very funny. :lol:
marc clement

Post by marc clement »

Franz wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 14:24 CET

R1 comments-
marc clement: good general atmosphere; the winds are a little tight but well balanced; the general reverb
is very good; very good trombone solo; very good bass sound; good documentation; what needs to be changed is
simply to reposition the winds more openly

marc clement: the whole thing sounds a little too compressed (for example
at 0'26 '' stopping the reverb tail is very brutal); the piano and the bass mingle too much;
always a slight imbalance between the wind; the end of the trombone and guitar solos
are covered by the winds which are too present, even at the end.
Francis,
I too are finding the comments confusing.....for R2 I panned sax grp from L12 to L16, Clarinet panned from L12-L23, 2 of the trombones panned to r5 and r8......there was a slight rebalance needed due to the pan law in my daw but we are taking 0.3db, levels were matched

Everything else is identical.....

I find it difficult to comprehend how the things you praised in R1, reverb, bass, compression, are now problems in R2, when they are identical not only in settings but on playback.....

I understand that this a difficult task to listen to all these tracks and I know that I can have different opinions on the same piece of music depending on what time of day I listen to it, my mood etc .....

This is not a "Should`ve been Me " post, anytime I`ve been placed in a comp here, I have passed on the software.

If you just changed your mind about my mix thats cool, I do that all the time.. lol.....but a little bit of clarity would be appreciated

All the Best and Congrats to those who have been placed.

Marc Clement