2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC063 March 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Piranha

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC063 March 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 30-03-2020 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Piranha »

Just as ceZar suggested I made the following enhancements to mi first mix:
  • Fatter snare
  • Guitar solo is louder and some space is carved from other instruments to let it breathe
  • More balanced volumes in general
WAV:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/771hdax32jpvs ... 2.wav?dl=0
MP3:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kt8nyx98hex3 ... 2.mp3?dl=0
TPR

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC063 March 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 30-03-2020 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by TPR »

I corrected the mix according to CeZar's instructions.

Added slight pararell compression to vocal bus. Corected low end as well and made a lot of small tweaks by automating volume mainly.

Overall polished everything. I hope i fixed problems that CeZar noticed.

Round 2 mix:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R_QuYl ... sp=sharing
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC063 March 2020 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 31st March 2020, 01:20am - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

Sadly, not everyone has sent in an edit (Estudio del Leon, ManuC, paglia)
We have no submissions after the deadline.

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. :tu:

See you on the flipside.
ManuC

Post by ManuC »

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry, i leave in switzerland and in that special period, we have a lot of work.

I see today that i'm in round 2, so i'm out of time.

Sorry for this dismiss, i hope that everyone is ok and i will be more attentive in the future.

Good luck to everyone and take care of you.

ManuC
paglia

Post by paglia »

tumewor wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 15:59 CET
Hello Paglia,
paglia wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 16:32 CET
Hi everyone

I mixed this song in hybrid analog/digital configuration using Neve summing mixer. All drums channel are summed in one stereo bus with Smart c2 in parallel. Bass in Dbx 165A. Acoustic guitar in stereo IGS Alter 500. Distorted guitar nothing special, eq and comp. Vox StaLevel and Distressor. Reverb and delay of course.
If you want a more spec ask me!!

Greetings from italy..and it's a really bad time for Italian people. Hope this nightmare ends soon!!

WAV

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6x0fhgwo1zof ... a.wav?dl=0

MP3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p83rcmjuzr01l ... a.mp3?dl=0
May i know what did you do to make your clean electric guitar sound ? roughly in 00.30 min mark where the 1st clean electric guitar part comes in ? Like the plugins you use, the effect attack or release setting u use , if there's any of that. it sound pleasing to my ear, or perhaps anyone know how to achieve that kind of sound ?

im working in some project and its kinda need that particular sound, i hope you don't mind sharing it, thank you.
Hi Tumewor

that effect is a rotary modulation plugin by avid. It's like a hammond rotary speaker. If you not have a some rotary effect you can easy made with any chorus plugin
paglia

Post by paglia »

Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 01:24 CEST
It's the 31st March 2020, 01:20am - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

Sadly, not everyone has sent in an edit (Estudio del Leon, ManuC, paglia)
We have no submissions after the deadline.

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. :tu:

See you on the flipside.
Sorry I couldn't do the revisions for the second round.
Quarantine in Italy is very strict.
I will be happy to participate as soon as possible
CeZar

Post by CeZar »

Fox, what are we going to do with the whole quarantine thing on this Round2? Should we wait for everyone until they can actually publish their R2 mixes or should I proceed with the final evaluation?

I kind of feel sad because some of us don't have access to our studios due to this pandemic and at the same time nobody could actually see it coming and prepare in advance.
So I'm leaving this one up to you, if you decide to proceed as scheduled I'll go ahead and do the final evaluation.

Thanks,
CeZar
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Apologies for the late response, but I needed to think about this.

I am fully aware about what is going on in the world right now. I am really sorry to read about strict quarantine rules, and I understand everybody's situation. We just have no control over this - and we have to make the best out of it.

The thing is however, a lot of audio engineers that do maintain an own large scale studio usually do have access to at least two setups. One at home, one at work. I do know a handful of people that still go to their facilities in private (and not just access the facilities to pick up license keys, backup HDDs, etc), while blocking off every public business. If you are an employee at a studio rather than running your own environment, then that situation looks completely different, as you are forced to stay at home.

Mix Round 2 has three users that didn't submit their entries. Yet from my personal impression, only one person actually couldn't revisit the edit due to the quarantine (which tells me - "no access to editing facilities"?). One person missed the deadline due to other work related reasons. And the third didn't even further respond (I just checked the username, found the corresponding social media account - this participant has his facilities still running through online communication).

Also, it's not like I didn't use the new notification engine, send out a newsletter and the usual social media reminders (contrary to what might believe as "not enough information happening").

:arrow: The following might therefore sound highly unsympathetic and show no compassion:

But in fairness to all other participants that did overhaul their edits and submitted it within the given timeline (some of them being new faces on the community even) - in the middle of the lockdown and curfews - I can't reboot/extend the submission period for Mix Round 2.

I am sorry, but these three entries are therefore disqualified.

Let us please finish Mix Round 2, CeZar. :neutral_face:
CeZar

Post by CeZar »

Perfect, Fox, I just needed your consent on this matter.
I will do the final evaluation tonight and post the results+ feedback!
CeZar

Post by CeZar »

Hey guys, sorry for the one day delay, I had a few crashes last night with my DAW and I've only managed to solve the problems today, a few VST were conflicting with Cubase 10.5.

Now, I've finished the round 2 evaluation and boy did it blow my mind!

First of all, let me just say that nearly ALL THE SUBMITTED MIXES were very, very good, I would happily work with any of you as an artist on projects.
What did actually surprise me this time is that feedback on R1 actually made a HUGE difference on the overall quality and how you guys have improved your mixes.

Now, these are the first 3 winning mixes in their podium order:

1ST PLACE: RJR
2ND PLACE: JULIEN MEIRONE
3RD PLACE: PIRANHA

And here's feedback to each of you 7 that have submitted:

1: Piranha - A really nice mix, nice detail on the high end, spectrally a tiny bit of low mid was the thing missing from it;

2: AlexVanMixland - Your mix was somewhat spectrally unbalanced, with too much mid-high end and missing a good amount of bass and low mid;

3: Julien Meirone - Great rocky mix, very good dynamics, good depth, I just wanted to hear those toms a bit louder and maybe just a tiny bit of high end "air" detail;

4: RJR - This is by far the most polished mix out of this challenge, it is a lesson in delay usage for anyone who wants to learn, mix is very well balanced, very good backing vocals usage, levels and panning intuition, good mix depth;

5:TPR - I really liked your progressive level automation. spectrally your mix is well balanced, I found it a bit weird with the main guitar panned a bit to the left, but that didn't really bother me, maybe the drums being a bit too loud around the bridge did , because it was a clear 1-2-3 place contender if not for that issue. :bang: The difference was tiny;

6: 3ee - Your mix needed a bit more overall high end and either a de-esser or just lower cymbal volume, the only thing that put you behind the first guys was the fact that the overheads were making too much noise on the choruses and your fx volumes, which were a bit too loud;

7: Dave McIsaac - This mix could have benefited from a bit more low end, it was well compressed but the kick + bass were not pumping enough, also there was a bit of harshness around your high mids. I found the reverb on the vocals interesting at the ending, it seems like it was an automation, i don't know if you intended for it to be there, but it was nice and interesting as an idea for production, the octave backing vocal was a bit too loud and your drive guitars at the chorus really should have been more in front;

I'd like to congratulate all of you for doing such a good job. especially these guys who've managed to submit for Round 2. I feel sorry that some of you couldn't do it...

Fox, I'd like to thank you for this opportunity, I hope I didn't cause too much trouble for you.

It was an honour to work with all of you!

Regards,
CeZar